Author Topic: Let's be honest, who here considers themselves a furry?  (Read 22775 times)

Kamiten

• Backer
  • There's a good chance I'm at work or drinking...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's be honest, who here considers themselves a furry?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2014, 08:56:15 AM »
Hello! Yes.

I've been a fan of anthropomorphics since as far back as I can remember. Gummi Bears, Redwall, Sonic The Hedgehog, Aesops Fables, Gargoyles, Street Sharks; everything in my childhood was anthro cartoons.  A good 75% of my friends are through the furry fandom.

Armello dragged me in with their furry characters, but I was hooked on the board game style mechanics, and the overall professionalism of their presentation. The LoG really convinced me that they were taking their time and doing all the right things to develop this game from the ground up to be amazing, furry characters aside.

Anyway, I'm on twitter as Kamitenz, or Weasyl as Kamiten. I am not an artist, so I married one. Her art can be found here: https://www.weasyl.com/user/skulldog

K Fox

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2014, 09:26:22 AM »
That said, I do know one thing that furries are completely responsible for - Facerig.

Whoa whoa. Since when was this actually a thing? I remember people talking about it but it definitely wasn't a part of the original game plan.

No no - you've misunderstood me. I'm not referring to implementation of Facerig into Armello, I merely talking about the existence of Facerig at all. ;) To be honest, Armello doesn't strike me as the type of game to have/benefit from video chat. How would you implement it into the gameplay, for instance? If done right it would be very cool, but I just can't see how it would work based on the style of game Armello is...but then again, I don't design games for a reason - I'm not creative in that way. But yeah, my other comment is simply referring to the fact that Facerig blew up the way it did simply because of furries. That's all. ;)

K Fox
This is my sig, there are many like it but this one is mine... :D

K Fox

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »
...However, I wonder, why people on kickstarter, don’t use the word furry for letting people find their stuff. (I rarely find anything, when searching for furry, but then randomly I stumble over some projects with anthropomorphic animals. Maybe they would get more pledges, if there would be easier findable.)

Actually, on this one I think it has to do with the social stigma that 'furry' has - it's still rather negative in teh eyes of the majority. For a while, the only press we got was bad press, and it's taking time to counter that. I blame that on the media in general - apparently only bad news is news worthy (obviously gets better ratings). But yeah, before I get all bent out of shape on that, I just wanted to say that 'furry' is still seen as weird/strange/bad/crazy/freaks/ect by the unwashed masses, so that's probably why it's not used as a tag. The fear that only furries would back and then the rest of the people wouldn't want to associate with it would be seen as a detractor - even I'll agree to that. The stereotypes about furries are mostly wrong, but that's doesn't change the popular opinions about us...:/

K Fox
This is my sig, there are many like it but this one is mine... :D

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2014, 11:50:16 AM »
...However, I wonder, why people on kickstarter, don’t use the word furry for letting people find their stuff. (I rarely find anything, when searching for furry, but then randomly I stumble over some projects with anthropomorphic animals. Maybe they would get more pledges, if there would be easier findable.)

Actually, on this one I think it has to do with the social stigma that 'furry' has - it's still rather negative in teh eyes of the majority.

That's the unfortunate reality of it. I know some companies don't like to throw the "F" word around because they're honestly afraid it'll hurt sales.

Case in point, Xseed games with Solatorobo:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=6192585&bId=9088243
Quote from: Xseed Games
The sad fact is, many gamers will dismiss this and other anthropomorphic titles outright without looking past the kiddy-seeming protagonists or associating the characters with questionable deviant art. Not that either of those aren’t totally fine selling points for some, but to you gamers more attached to fleshy protagonists, it might be an easy decider against. Having worked on it, however, I’m more inclined now to appreciate this design choice for how it meshes logically with the world (yes, I said logically, and I’m totally sober as I type this) and is used as a contrast to the latter half of the game (GREAT SECRETS ABOUND!) instead of being some gimmicky ploy designed to lure in animal lovers.

And so… if you weep tears of joy at the sound of crushing metal on metal action and think maybe you can un-see that furry art you ‘accidently’ Googled, then check back in for the next Solatorobo: Red the Hunter blog, and let me tell you more about what might be one of the best last hurrahs for the DS.

Kickstarter might be different since indie titles probably aren't going to go for broad audience appeal in the first place, but it still surprises me how many games and comics that are clearly made with a 'furry' aesthetic avoid using the word entirely in their description. Best advice I can offer is for everyfur out there to continue to be proud of who you are and put your best face forward for all of us. Continue to support great games like this so we can be a demographic developers want to target, and remind them that our subculture is one made up of great, open-minded, artistically-oriented individuals.

VVolf

• Backer
  • The one in the shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
Currently in SW Louisiana, moving to the Dallas area in less than a month. I just have a few good furry friends in the Denver area that will make it reasonably simple to attend.

If you're furry and moving to Dallas, you'll probably want to know about Furry Fiesta.
Been there every year thus far and always had a great time.

BTW, Tobias, last Wednesday I got some folks together for Werewolf: Dark Arts... Got to mess with peoples minds by using the defense: "Don't Lynch me, I'm the werewolf; if you lynch me the were-hamster wins!" - Crone. (Unfortunately it back-fired as the fool got lynched instead... )
/.-, VVolf

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2014, 02:55:07 PM »

Actually, on this one I think it has to do with the social stigma that 'furry' has - it's still rather negative in teh eyes of the majority. For a while, the only press we got was bad press, and it's taking time to counter that. I blame that on the media in general - apparently only bad news is news worthy (obviously gets better ratings). But yeah, before I get all bent out of shape on that, I just wanted to say that 'furry' is still seen as weird/strange/bad/crazy/freaks/ect by the unwashed masses, so that's probably why it's not used as a tag. The fear that only furries would back and then the rest of the people wouldn't want to associate with it would be seen as a detractor - even I'll agree to that. The stereotypes about furries are mostly wrong, but that's doesn't change the popular opinions about us...:/

K Fox

Ill agree with you here K Fox, Please dont hate me but for a very long time i thought of Furry as Taboo and Disgusting, i had no interest in it.  Ive never been a racist/sexist (ist in general) person so it hasnt bothered me that much, love what/who you want it doesnt affect me, but there have been times in the past that i have subconciously reacted negative to the word furry, but over the years ive gotten used to it and begun to understand it and I no longer care, a lot of people just arent educated on the term.  They jump to conclusions and stereotypes that they heard from their friend Mark who got told from their friend bryan who dated a weird girl called Lexi who was into animals and anthromorphism.  Fingers crossed it will change, we all just have to fight the good fight :)

YouTube | Email

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »
However, I wonder, why people on kickstarter, don’t use the word furry for letting people find their stuff.

It's not just the social stigma. I'm of the opinion that not everything that includes anthropomorphic characters should be associated with 'furry' and the furry community. It can stand on its own and appeal to not just for those niche audiences.

You guys can send me your hate-mail because I still react negatively to the term 'furry.' Unfortunately due to the strange way the internet (and people) works the language of the term is nowadays often associated with only the worst or strangest of the community. Which in truth, seems to happen a lot for ideologies that make up peoples sense of identity.

The whole concept and media surrounding it is very fun to discuss though.

(I think it will get better, except for the peeps who do fursuits and fursonas, I don't think the prejudice will ever end for them)

Georgesquares

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
I imagine there are many furries interested in Armello considering anthropomorphic animals is the furry genre. I have been to cons and have been published in furry short story anthologies. Furry is a fun fandom full of a lot of cool and interesting people.

Also, from my experience, furries are some of the more sane and logical folks I know (even though every group has its crazies.) Furry is just kind of a hobby and isn't a big deal unless somebody makes it a big deal-- kinda like being an anime fan. Enjoy things in life that are fun, I say.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:07:48 PM by Georgesquares »

ArcVer

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 09:48:38 PM »
Not really furry myself (beard not withstanding), though have been randomly associated with animals by those that are ...

The weird side of furry has taken most of the press, but there is a fun loving furry community much like cosplay which just enjoys it.    I've been in the sideline of sub cultures - goth - gamer - geek - etc to not see some good and bad of any sub cultures but furry is generally pretty friendly and not the worst of the deviants by far and then not to the detriment of others.   So pretty harmless even at their worst, pretty nice at their best.
Gamer: Computer, Board, Role playing etc...
Geek: Science, Engineering, Anime, Movies, Books etc...

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2014, 12:42:48 AM »
Any internet subculture is going to be stigmatized by someone that does not approve of their behavior. The very term 'subculture' implies that the group does not adhere to at least some universal folkways by default.

I am primarily into furry for reasons we are not talking about in this thread. I am not going to go into what they are, but you can probably guess. None of that factors into my profession or interaction with other people, though. Nobody else outside of my furry friends, my FA and a separate Twitter account needs to know anything about my private business or interests. It would not be acceptable for me to go on about any of that publicly. Without a doubt, some furries do not get that (and boy, are there ever stories).

Ultimately, that is what it comes down to--is it affecting anyone else directly? Rather akin to the fight for marriage equality, no? Anyone that takes issue with certain behaviors are entitled to feel the way they do, but they need to understand that people have the freedom to do as they please (within the context of the law, naturally). I might not care for the Brony subculture, but that does not mean I am picketing their conventions or teasing them for what they do. As long as nothing is made to be my business, live and let live.

At the end of the day, the furries I hang out with are extremely fun and creative people that throw the best fucking parties, so I have no reason to change.

*Cough*...so, chuff and such.

Georgesquares

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »
Also the fact that furry is a sex-positive and identity-positive subculture makes a lot of mainstream culture sour about it (because these are things much of mainstream culture is not). "Deviant" is a big red flag for me, and I'd rather it not be used here.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
Any internet subculture is going to be stigmatized by someone that does not approve of their behavior. The very term 'subculture' implies that the group does not adhere to at least some universal folkways by default.

I am primarily into furry for reasons we are not talking about in this thread. I am not going to go into what they are, but you can probably guess. None of that factors into my profession or interaction with other people, though. Nobody else outside of my furry friends, my FA and a separate Twitter account needs to know anything about my private business or interests. It would not be acceptable for me to go on about any of that publicly. Without a doubt, some furries do not get that (and boy, are there ever stories).

Ultimately, that is what it comes down to--is it affecting anyone else directly? Rather akin to the fight for marriage equality, no? Anyone that takes issue with certain behaviors are entitled to feel the way they do, but they need to understand that people have the freedom to do as they please (within the context of the law, naturally). I might not care for the Brony subculture, but that does not mean I am picketing their conventions or teasing them for what they do. As long as nothing is made to be my business, live and let live.

At the end of the day, the furries I hang out with are extremely fun and creative people that throw the best fucking parties, so I have no reason to change.

*Cough*...so, chuff and such.

Couldnt have said it better!!

Also this:

YouTube | Email

Zarpaulus

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2014, 02:53:40 PM »
Occasional writer, no drawing skills whatsoever.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
Occasional writer, no drawing skills whatsoever.

what do you like to write?

YouTube | Email

ArcVer

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »
I meant no offence with either subculture nor deviant, most of my friends wear it as a badge of honor and thus own the words.

I myself can only draw stick figures ... so I write, my more recent incomplete novel has a race of genetically modified cat people ...
Gamer: Computer, Board, Role playing etc...
Geek: Science, Engineering, Anime, Movies, Books etc...