Author Topic: (AAAR) Just Can't Wait to be King! (Multi-Player)  (Read 2751 times)

NegativeZero

• View Profile
(AAAR) Just Can't Wait to be King! (Multi-Player)
« on: March 02, 2015, 06:17:57 PM »
Another day in Armello, but not like all the rest. For on this day, that race for the Lion's Throne begins!

Setup:
Charactor; Thane
Ring: Sapphire (+1 Ap @ night)
Amulet: Think  (+1 Wit)
Aim: Victory!
The turn order is as follows: Sana ->Thane->Mercurio->Amber

The Players for this game are:

Clan Grounds layout:

I got ahead of myself before taking a clan ground shot here:
Notice these grounds are very defensive and caged in for Thane as there is really only 1 way out....
it is nice that there is a dungeon within them for easy exploring.

First Deed:

A great start with another item card to the hand. The usual rewards are usually +1 gold and +1 prestige.
The Quest on a swamp is a pain because there are some nasty perils that can be played on you there.

The next Quest:

Great another swamp area, my health bar cries for mercy!
This area is also very close to the Rat Clan territory. I'll have to be careful to get in without dieing.

Sana conquers village in the night.

Sana gets to my clan territory to complete her quest.
She ends her turn bolting Thane full of lightening, killing him!
Than is displeased  >:(

Clan Grounds Again.

I was planing to "Plague-Bringers" (-2hp and +1rot upon death) Mercurio and "Hot Rot Wine"(+1 ap & -1hp)  him to get into my quest area. This plan changes with Sana slaying me.
I still play "Plague-Bringers" Mercurio on principle!

Sana and Thane duke it out.
1st battle was not decisive:

Both end the battle taking two health from each other.

2nd battle:

In the end, Thane tosses Sana back to her clan grounds and takes the village.

After the battle, Thane repositioned into the forest.

This will allow Thane to intercept Mercurio or head over the mountain for his quest
Mercurio started with +2 prestige and is questing a bunch....huge competition for prestige victory.

Amber has been exploring and finding tons for treasure....eventually claims a village and fights some banes.

Everyone is stacking prestige like crazy and is a close game.

At Dawn: Mercurio has the most Prestige and selects Tribute Spirit (-2 magic to everyone).

This takes away the option of playing some cards. Annoying, but not too bad!

Sana exploring and finds a Doctor

The Doctor follower enhances heals so it always brings the player to full hp.
Very nice draw for Sana as this makes her hard to kill in drawn out battles.

Thane is weak and crosses the mountains to claim a village.

Thanes has a heal item here and mounts a defense of the village to keep the rats from stealing coin.

The Rat Clan has other plans:

Instead, Mercurio explores a dungeon (found nothing) and stealing Thanes gold and other village. :(
I believe his quest was over there so this ways a good play to get the extra prestige and gold.

Thane has 4 AP here, This makes it possible to get some healing and quest.

Spending Ap to heal at Stone Circles is not cost effective, but necessary here.

Healed->Quest

With full health, Thane decides to Explore....found more then expected

Vanquished the Bane, but taking some damage from the battle.

When the Bane spawned, Thane was pushed back onto the swamp, taking him down more.

This is not looking good for Thane. Many perils can 1 shot him here with such low hp.
At Dawn, rot infested players (like Thane) take one damage. Thane will be at 1hp to play out his daylight turn.

Amber is super lucky.....Equips Lord's Scepter and gets a free treasure from the king!

The competition gets more competitive towards prestige Victory....

Sana holding out at a village:

Sana's doctor really helped out as Sana had 4 health healed back from a Bane attack.

Thane needs some healing action himself...

Heading back to the near by Stone Circle, Thane heals up twice.

Across the map, Mercurio digs into Sana for control of the village.

Mercurio wants lots of gold for traps, yet has not played many this game.
instead, Amber has been playing quite a bit of traps....

Sana is victorious!

Sana grabbing more villages to get their coin at dawn.

Sana explores the dungeon and wakes a Bane.

Thane heads over to heal up and gets closer to his quest.

Thane also wanted to get out of Merurio's territory as he just respawned there

4th Dawn: Prestige ties

We have a 3 way split here for prestige.
Thanes has a Royal Banner in his pocket for next dawn!

Thane tried to push the king's guard off the village, but is slain.

This was kind of a stupid move, but there was not too much else to be had around.
Sana was at full hp, but I wanted to play it safer then attack her (for the time being)

Sana healing and heading out for quests..

Her quest is somewhere beyond the mountain pass.

Thane has 4 Ap here, so he explore->quest->village

The bane attacked the kings guard in the night, and both killed each other
This is a good run for Thane and lets him get back into the game!

Thief got away taking Thane's gold

This hurts as Thane has no gold to equip items or play trickery cards.

End of the night position:

5th Dawn: Thane's Royal Banner leads

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:47:41 AM by NegativeZero »

NegativeZero

• View Profile
Re: (AAAR) Just Can't Wait to be King! (Multi-Player)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:20:18 PM »
Everyone is still quite close in Prestige. Thane didn't want more banes for them to farm and chose to make them tougher.

As Thane is already good in fights, it should make little difference to him.
Note here for the Devs: Banes are not getting +2 hp from this Rule as of update (0.3.1p2)

Sana fights a beefed up bane!

It seems her quest was beyond the Bane..So making it stronger worked out better then expected!
Sana ends up besting the Bane and moving onto her goal though wounded.
She ended up on a Stone Circle and her doctor completely healed here :o

Form the village, Thane aims for the two villages Mercurio is near.

Although not enough to directly fight Mercurio, Thane tosses Hot Rot Wine (+1Ap, -1Hp) and takes the rat out!
This is a waste of a +1ap item, but the rat was getting big and could try for a mutual slay on his turn.

Back at home, Rat Clan decides not to fight the intruding bear and explores.

Mercurio finds a follower which is always nice. Followers are rather uncommon/rare in the game and offer large advantages.
Thanes quest it over there, yet it is getting late in the game to quest.

Players are deciding to hit up the king..

The following are Items everyone has amassed over the course of the game so far:
Mercurio's Items:

Sana's Items:

Thane's Items:

Amber's Items:

That lucky Bunny

Sana heads back through the mountain pass after finishing her quest.

Sana has been rapidly stocking up on Prestige and is closing in on Thane's lead.

Thane is a little weak to fight the rabbit clan, heals in the circle and then fights Amber.

Before the fight, Thane turns all Amber's cards to Worms!!
This prevents Amber from burning her cards for guaranteed rolls of her combat dice. Unless corrupted, worms automatically miss.

Thane fights with a large advantage here:

Amber chose to burn her tainted cards. A one-sided fight.
This makes using the rot card really pay off as Thane has 3 spirit stone now!

Amber faces off with Mercurio

Amber forces Mercurio back onto the mountain, both are wounded once.

Thane still leads in prestige, but Sana is closing in

New Healthcare regulations:

This was detrimental toward everyone, and everyone but Merc. was poisoned. :(
However, I think this was the right call. Merc. couldn't play perils, Amber and Sana where both down on hp to move much.

Sana thinks about fighting Thane:

Thane has one hp here and Sana is 2 short of his Prestige. If Sana kills Thane, she will lead in prestige!
Thane calls a Bane between them to increase the risks to Sana.

Sana presses forth toward Thane!

She clearly wanted an easier time getting to Thane

More wounded then intended, Sana holds up in a village:

She didn't want to risk a face-off in case she losses prestige and Thane couldn't move

Thane is in trouble here:

Still poisoned and at one hp, Thane can not move nor has healing cards.

Thane takes his own life:

This was to prevent Sana from an easy pickup the following turn that would make her the prestige leader.
This also prevented a Spirit Stone steal!

Sana finds a quest in the stone circle as well as in the Plains.

She had the druid quest and picked up +1 Spirit Stone, and her primary quest on the plains.
This really helped her out as she has 3 spirit stones and lots of prestige.

Thane dungeons and crosses the mountain to get his quest:

Finds some goodies in the ruins.

End of turn scene.

Thane wants to move closer to his quest, yet still keep an eye on the castle.

Sana is now in the Prestige lead :(

Sana has 7 and Thane has 6.....The rest are behind.
Sana losses her Doctor here and Mercurio losses their brilliant fool

More Exploring for  Sana.

She does not find anything, and is in not hurry to fight the king. She simply bides her time to keep high Prestige and win with it.

Thane notices Amber closing in on the castle gates. perches on the mountain.

Merc. and Amber are close to the palace. There is no time to turn about for the quest.
Takes a village and perches on the mountain.
Thane equips some more weapons to try and over take Amber. Thus flushing his prestige down to 3.

Devious Mercurio summons a blizzard and pushes Thane off the mountain.

Thane lands on a dungeon (doesn't get to explore it)

Merc. doesn't pursue and heads south toward his quest.

Thane, severely weakened,  can't stop Amber who penetrated the palace (far right in picture)

This is not good as the bunny has a good shot at the throne :(

Thane Heads to heal and take care of his quest:

Even the quests have no mercy for Thane...
Not much hope for Thane as the game could end very soon in kingslayer or prestige (failed kingslayer)

Apparently, Amber did not draw the cards need to slay as she played a few and ended turn. Amber had 2hp here so it is understandable to wait for a healing item.

At Dawn: Sana is afraid of Ambers Hand...and Flushes it

Sana explore her dungeon again and finds her 4th spirit stone and heads toward Amber.

Mercurio plays some tricks on Thane

Stealing some in-hand cards, but did not engage. He took the town and perched on the mountains.

A lot happens here:

Amber attacked the king
and failed to do any damage to him. The king thoroughly slayed Amber.

Just before: Amber banished Sana, whom landed on the dungeon behind Thane.

On Sana's turn, she does not go through the peril toward the palace, but dungeons instead awaiting her Prestige Victory.
She ends her turn in the forest atop the dungeon!

Thane dives toward the palace with 4ap, but is caught in Amber's Beef up Peril.

It strips him for is last AP and 2 cards....

Thane picks up his 4th spirit stone in the dungeon just before hitting the peril.
Sana is in the forest next to the Dungeon.....waiting

Mercurio goes through the dungeon for the prestige winner (Sana) instead of Thane

Go Mercurio, you can do it buddy!

Sana deflects and Slays the low-hp Mercurio

Sana is down to 1 life after her battle.

Amber Tosses some prestige Thane's way..but is is not enough to overtake Sana.

Thane: 6 total Prestige
Sana: 8 total Prestige
Tahne is kicking himself here as he had earlier discarded Royal Banner :(

At Dawn....Sana succumbs to rot. This forced her to clan grounds
Sana uses her prestige to declare Dark Liege thus spawning Banes into the castle!

Very late in the game as the kings has 1 hp left...

The king's guards push the Banes out of the castle!

Thane pushes into the castle into a royal guard!

Thane pushes the guard back!

Notice the 2 Hot Rot Wines in Thane's hand....

Thane gets 1 more Ap and cleanses the Lands of the Rot Ridden King

Victory:

This was a crazy busy game with players tossing cards all over the table trying their best.

Amber was a good player whom went for their dungeon exploring trait that really tried to get in there. Even with the treasures, she failed to complete the final boss.

Sana was a fantastic player whom always set themselves up for victory. In many battles, I saw many card burns for Wyld. The early Doctor follower really turned this game around for Sana as she was hard to combat effectively with her massive hp bar and Wyld Burns.
She really played hard in overcoming Thane's Prestige!

Mercurio played his role well and really stole a lot of gold from players through village grabs. I did not see much trickery cards hit the table, but they tried to assert them self in combat through items.   

Overall, This could have been anyone's game to win!
However, I feel that Mercurio gave up his chance to get at the king going for Sana.
If Thane failed to draw a +1ap card, Amber could have gotten another shot at the king if they drew a +1ap card.

This was a really fun game with good players. I would love to get into another game with them!

If you have questions or comments, please share them!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:47:16 AM by NegativeZero »

Ty Carey

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:19:07 PM »
Great AAAR - was on the edge of my seat! Thanks for posting NegativeZero!

Maruk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »
I was Amber in this game - and I'd like to add to Tainted's AAAR.  Here's some additional stuff from my side, and my thoughts on the game.

First off, I'm a newbie at Armello and this was my second multiplayer game.  I had nothing unlocked for Amber, and this was also my first time playing her.  It shows, yet I had a lot of fun.

Anyway, I had to give up on questing early on, as my quest-line (either second or third) ended up spawning adjacent to Mercurio's spawn point.  I attempted to get in there a few times, but between a nearby Thane and a newly-respawned Mercurio, it wasn't really doable.

Prior to Mercurio gifting me a treasure (Royal Shield x2), my equipment loadout was an Oaken Spear, Battle Armor and a Helm of Wisdom.  This pure-defense build meant that it was hard to kill me, but also meant that I couldn't really kill others.  Great for a kingslayer attempt. 

However, I lost my Battle Armor to a Confiscate law. Eventually, it was replaced with the Royal Shield you see above.  Coincidentally, this prevented me from attempting to complete that quest I had in Mercurio's area.  The Oaken Spear was replaced with the Lord's Scepter shortly afterwards, which in retrospect was a bad choice - the Scepter never really saw much play.

I set up a difficult and annoying peril that Thane would later walked into because it covered my attempt at a kingslayer run (No rot, no prestige, decent gear).  The longer I waited for cards, the more I would have to fight the other clans.  I protected my back and put plans into place long before they were required.

Had I damaged the king during my attempt, Sana would have won with a Prestige victory.  Had Thane not drawn his +1 AP card, I would have had another shot at the king.  Overall, I'm happy with how I played.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:08:24 PM by Maruk »

Ty Carey

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:59:14 PM »
Hey, thanks for the extra insight Maruk, and I'm glad you enjoyed playing. The thing I love about Armello is how you can recount the reasons for succeeding and failing, and how sometimes the small things make such a difference.

NegativeZero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 05:39:24 PM »
@ Ty Carey: I'm glad you enjoyed the epic tale! I hope to get into more fierce and treacherous battles in the near future with multi-play!

@ Maruk: Welcome to the forums! Thanks for sharing your side of the adventure as it provides further insights. I hope to face you once more!

A few notes:
Anyway, I had to give up on questing early on, as my quest-line (either second or third) ended up spawning adjacent to Mercurio's spawn point.  I attempted to get in there a few times, but between a nearby Thane and a newly-respawned Mercurio, it wasn't really doable.

When your quest generates across the map and in enemy territory, it is indeed hard to get in there. I had many of my own quests inside there, so I can understand your hesitation over crowding the area.

I set up a difficult and annoying peril that Thane would later walked into because it covered my attempt at a kingslayer run (No rot, no prestige, decent gear).  The longer I waited for cards, the more I would have to fight the other clans.  I protected my back and put plans into place long before they were required.

You played deviously and nearly cost me the entire game!!!! Good job!  8)
Ultimately, that is what everyone tries to accomplish to further their own goals and you did great.
 If I had that opportunity, I would take it myself and be very pleased.

Had I damaged the king during my attempt, Sana would have won with a Prestige victory.  Had Thane not drawn his +1 AP card, I would have had another shot at the king.  Overall, I'm happy with how I played.

Indeed, your actions really controlled the pacing of the game. 

When you where in combat with the king, did you deliberately not damage the king? Or upon viewing the kings rolls and calculating you had no chance at a slay, you tossed all bum cards to do no overall damage?

What I'm trying to say here is: Did you deliberately try to have a second shot or was it chance?

Either way, if I had not drawn the cards I did...you would have been setup for another kingslayer provided you drew a +1ap. That made it really tense and Sana was really on the fence the entire game.

I love playing with players whom "Make Things Happen," despite the cards they are dealt.
Instead of siting on the fence waiting to be crowned or mope about their semi-alight inventory, they are decisive, take action and run risks!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:45:27 PM by NegativeZero »

Maruk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:03:43 PM »
Thanks for the responses, it's good to have feedback.

@NegativeZero - Before Sana flushed everyone's hands, I had a Heavy Armor that I would have played that morning.  Even if I had not damaged the king, it would have kept me alive.  However, after the flush my hand was not as good.

What forced me to attack was that Mercutio and Sana were nearby.  At 2 HP, delaying another turn would have given them a good chance to kill me, so the attack at that time was really "use it or lose it".

Circumstances aside, I really did have a shot at the king.  However his rolls were just too good for my preparation, so I burned what I could.

I would have made it back to the castle walls that night, and with the Hot-Rot Wine in my hand, I could have had one more shot.  The only question would have been if I had to fight you, or if the King would have killed you.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:08:45 PM by Maruk »