Author Topic: What's your favorite movie/movies?  (Read 6255 times)

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite movie/movies?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 12:02:58 PM »
I'm a pretty big movie buff - hard to pick favourites, but generally anything by the Coen brothers, Kubrick or Wes Anderson I'm really into.

More on-theme for Armello, The Fantastic Mr. Fox is probably my favourite Wes Anderson movie.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? is my favorite Coen Bros. flick, and probably one of my favorite movies ever. It's also one of my top films that i have no trouble watching with my grandma, since she grew up in practically the same setting and relates to everything in it.

Also, Groundhog Day by the late, great Harold Ramis is another in my list I forgot to mention. Slipped under everyone's radar when it first came out, but I feel like it's become a lot more popular in recent years.

I have plenty of other guilty pleasure movies. The 60's is chock full of great, campy stuff like Batman: the Movie and the Planet of the Apes series. The latter is so ridiculous with its cheap sets and looney, radiated telepathic bomb-worshiping sewer people plots, but I still really like 'em. In fact, maybe that's why I like them (and as far as the new Ape movies go, I thought the reboot great). I tend to squeeze too much enjoyment out of Sci-Fi b-movies and poorly-dubbed Kung-fu flicks, too.

Jason Bakker

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jason-Bakker.com
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »
O Brother is great! I haven't actually seen it since a little after it came out; I really want to watch it again. I've had a similar urge with Speed Racer and Be Kind Rewind. Does anyone ever get that - a random urge to watch a particular movie that they haven't seen for ages? Which movies do you get it with?

Do you like Hayao Miyazaki?
He actually just had The Wind Rises in cinema!! On the big screen!!! im jealous its not in Aus

I love Miyazaki films, although embarrassingly I haven't yet managed to see the couple most recent ones (Ponyo and The Secret World of Arrietty).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:45:08 PM by Jason Bakker »

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 07:37:09 PM »
Jason im in the same boat! ! Ive only seen the wind rises and of course, my neighbor totoro

YouTube | Email

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 08:12:41 AM »
O Brother is great! I haven't actually seen it since a little after it came out; I really want to watch it again. I've had a similar urge with Speed Racer and Be Kind Rewind. Does anyone ever get that - a random urge to watch a particular movie that they haven't seen for ages? Which movies do you get it with?

I get that urge with lotsa things - movies, games, shows - I guess it's nostalgia that comes back to bite me after I've forgotten about it for a while.

Gremlins 2 was one I really wanted to re-watch recently. I rented this one multiple times when I was a kid. It was probably my most-watched film in the 90s aside from maybe Forrest Gump or The Rescuers Down Under. The first Gremlins was Warner Bros. legit attempt to make a monster movie with a comic slant, but the sequel plays almost like a parody, making fun of its universe's own rules and features tons of fourth wall breaking. It's crazy and fun and the puppetry is really great. I'm sure it seeped into my brain pretty deep and probably played a role in my adolescence.