Author Topic: (AAAR) Attempt at Rot Victory  (Read 3995 times)

NegativeZero

• View Profile
(AAAR) Attempt at Rot Victory
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:18:02 PM »
After viewing Armello Early access play on youtube, I was intrigued enough to give it a shot on Steam.
I played a few single player games and by far the Rot Victory is the hardest to muster.

(AAR)= After Action Report
The following happened a few minutes ago as I tried to take out the King.
This is on single player with Thane going for a Rot Victory:

With Hot Rot Wine, I entered the castle and attacked the King on the same turn. However, my attempt to kill the King failed as we both lived after combat.
The Log says Thane "defeated the king", but not enough to trigger a victory condition.
The wording on the log should be changed to address the failed attempt on the king's life, and not give the illusion of victory over the King.

Another attempt at the King the following turn:  O Bugger

Even after enraging the king (thus taking away all my prestige), Royal Banner saves the day.  I think an increase in price to use Royal Banner is in order.

I would like to draw attention to the failed attempt at slaying the king. It would be "nice" if other mechanics or lore  triggered on a failed attempt.

Overall I had a great time playing the game, but the AI still needs some work

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:45:25 PM by NegativeZero »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: (AAR) Attempt at Rot Victory
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 04:40:12 PM »
Fun fact, attacking the King doesn't consume AP, it just requires AP.  Therefore, if you fight and survive, you can instantly rematch him.

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »
Love the screenshots that go along with your adventure NegativeZero!

As for AI - what particular feedback do you have for us? We'll be doing another review of them this release :)

NegativeZero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
@Kletian999: That is great to know, but as you could see in the pictures, it would not help my cause for a Rot Victory.

@Lisy Kane: Thank you, I find the AI doesn't use their gold to much extent in game play.
Cards/Traps that only target gold don't go far as it should.  Only 1-4 gold is effected out of their sack of 8+ gold.
I'm not a curtain about their magic usage (as it resets each dusk), but I never see them with magic buffs or casting magic traps to much extent.

Live players utilize their gold/magic  quite a bit so the gold/magic effecting cards are great there.

Lisy Kane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »
Just to make sure I've got this right :)

You've observed that AI aren't using their Gold as a human player would?  So they're not playing cards or perils as much as humans would?

NegativeZero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 05:31:43 PM »
@ Lisy Kane: I an only assume because I can not see what kind of cards the AI is holding, but I feel the AI could do a better job burning cards. Especially if they have lots of gold/magic.

Granted this is late in the game (2 turns left) but I feel they could be more devious or extravagant in their card usage. 

Zeitzbach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:32:03 PM »
Just to make sure I've got this right :)

You've observed that AI aren't using their Gold as a human player would?  So they're not playing cards or perils as much as humans would?

The AI seems like they will only use their gold if they can on the inventory.

The thing is that unlike the human players, AI will never really try a "Hey, I'm Merc so let's draw 5 - 6 Trickery in my hand every turn!" so they never really have the option to spend it much. There's a lot of games where the AI ends up with like, 15-20 golds at the end of their losses, could be because on their hand is a magical card they can't spend like "Thunder Strike" since they love to draw something like "spell inventory trick spell" on Amber or "spell spell trick" on a Thane

They play Peril though and a lot as well but they rarely drop it right on your head for a guaranteed hit.

Lisy Kane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
@ Lisy Kane: I an only assume because I can not see what kind of cards the AI is holding, but I feel the AI could do a better job burning cards. Especially if they have lots of gold/magic.

Granted this is late in the game (2 turns left) but I feel they could be more devious or extravagant in their card usage.

Burning cards? Or playing cards?

I'm making a list so I can go through it with our AI guru's :)

NegativeZero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
@Lisy Kane: My bad using the term "Card Burning" as this a different usage then I meant.
I mean: The AI could play their gold/magic cards better or more often.

Zeitzbach seems to be observing the same actions with their AI as well

Zeitzbach

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 05:43:46 PM »
Burning cards? Or playing cards?

I'm making a list so I can go through it with our AI guru's :)

Kind of both. A player would go for a certain type of deck while avoiding certain symbol. I, for one, will burn away all the rot symbol on a pointless peril like "Crook" that I can easily avoid on Merc with 6 wits anyway and doesn't even hurt if I get hit by it.

But the AI probably won't mind carrying the Sun, Moon, Wyld and Rot symbol all at the same time although this mean only half of them will be burnable in combat.

Lisy Kane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 05:49:26 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for clarifying :) TO THE LIST!

NegativeZero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 06:23:18 PM »
Good to know the AI will become more cunning and ruthless with their gold/magic in further updates.

The quick responses are fantastic.

One quick idea is for an AAR (After Action Report) for a topic mark. This would allow players to know the topic is about a play through with a play by play.

Ty Carey

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »
Great idea, NegativeZero. I've created a new AAAR topic (Armello After Action Report) here;

http://leagueofgeeks.com/forums/index.php?board=25.0

Have fun and I'm looking forward to soaking up the action!

Ty

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 09:10:43 PM »
Fun fact, attacking the King doesn't consume AP, it just requires AP.  Therefore, if you fight and survive, you can instantly rematch him.

Did they undo this change? Didn't try it at live build still but it was exactly the most noticeable change when it comes to kingslaying at 0.3.1 test...atempting against the King consuming AP.

EDIT: Ok just tested. Yep 0.3.1 still consumes AP to attack King.

EDIT2: For the sake of Storytelling, bards sing the King kicked Mercurio off palace so hard he scored a free kick when Mercurio landed at Clan Grounds.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:35:00 PM by Lienn »
No longer around...

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: (AAAR) Attempt at Rot Victory
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 01:08:57 AM »
Oh, I never noticed it had changed.  They didn't put it in the notes after all.