Author Topic: A blast from the past: What was the fate of the skill tree mechanics?  (Read 1050 times)

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
While thinking around the game actually it crossed my mind (in part also fueled about some teasers from a certain bear about stats not growing much "for now"). I remember that it was presented in one of the streamings of Trent playing during KS campaign still...

After checking the KS text again i noticed it indeed points out that, by then, there was plans of a skill tree.

Now the question: What happened to it? Phased out, being reworked or still discussing about adding it or not? In the end it was a feature that usually is interesting (especially now that  we saw the game will have unlockables so a character development would also be interesting) but at same time it's something we actually had no chance of even seeing live (since seems like it wasn't accessible even at alpha test).

Anyway, should we expect to see a skill tree still? Maybe even if just after release? ^^;
No longer around...

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
Re: A blast from the past: What was the fate of the skill tree mechanics?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:38:58 AM »
Hi Lienn,

We implemented the Talent tree but to be completely honest, it wasn't fun and didn't add value - so we removed it. We're still trying to re-work it and see how it can fit in better. So it's on the back-burner for now (not to say it won't be back).

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:01:01 AM »
Aw...

Would be nice seeing a progressive development of the heroes...like rings and amulets, something to be unlocked that go past the single match bondaries (even tho shown one felt as something that needed to be built every match).

"If at least we had the chance of trying it out  few times..." *wink* *wink*

Among my "rejected stuff" box i even had a couple skill trees that could be suggested here. Any chance of you posting the specs/concepts of the dead skill tree (even if already phased out for good)? Who knows...maybe something useful can born from it after all! ^^
No longer around...

Hobbes

• View Profile
    • My Steam Profile, add me if you wish to talk!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
The one overriding issue I can see with any form of skilltree is that it would have to leave a lot of core stuff accessible for ranked matches. The system as it stands right now works (mostly) because the first ring for each hero and the four charms available permit a decent degree of customisation and play to the heroes theme reasonably well. The rings are attainable just through game completion and the additional charms are shared between heroes, so that's all good and well...

... that said...

Some form of skill tree / persistence for a single player campaign down the line? That might have serious merit.

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:32:46 PM »
Also I keep wondering what value skill-trees or any form of character progression would have for Armello. It's not a huge RPG and matches are not very long. I don't see how there'd be enough turns to really capitalise on whatever skills/talents a player has gained.