Author Topic: Matchmaking Frustrations  (Read 4188 times)

Bayard

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Marcos' Gamez!
Matchmaking Frustrations
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:49:22 AM »
Most of these issues stem from the low playerbase the game has right now, and im sure will become less of a problem when more people jump into Armello, but for now, ive had some major problems finding public games recently.

Last night when searching for a game, I kept getting paired with the same few players, presumably because nobody else was online to play at the time. That wouldn't be a problem, if at the character selection screen the same player kept dropping after the three of us first chose our characters. I can only imagine this is because one of us must have chosen the one they wanted. When he quit, we got booted back to the que, and every time it would pair us with this same person... and every time they would drop after we chose our characters. I kept at it for nearly a half hour before giving up finding a game.

This morning I had somewhat of a similar issue. Every game I was paired up with included one player who would always timeout at the ready screen, booting us back to the que. Again, it would keep pairing us with this person -exclusively- and  he would never ready up. Eventually I gave up finding a game here as well.

Like I said, once the playerbase gets bigger im sure this will happen far less frequently, but might I suggest once a game has begun, replacing someone who drops with an AI character perhaps? Not only because of that character selection issue I mentioned, but because ive had people disconnect mid-game which ended up ending the entire thing halfway through. While I know people prefer to play with other people, I wouldn't mind having an AI take over someones spot if the alternative is not getting to play the game at all.

In regards to the second person I encountered this morning, perhaps an AFK player could be taken out of the que if they do not ready up in time? This keeps them from stalling other players games. Not to mention perhaps giving the game some kind of notification noise when a match is found to draw their attention.

I really enjoy the game, I just wish it was easier to play it with others right now!

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmaking Frustrations
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:08:05 AM »
That's some fair points. Once everyone set ready and went to character screen it would be nice any quitter being replaced with AI instead  of kicking back to lobby.
No longer around...

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:13:34 AM »
We hear you loud and clear guys. LoG does intend t implement these features in the near future however with all the pressure of Early Access you might have to wait a bit :(

But stick with us!

~8BitProxy

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »
This sounds more like network issues/bugs than a quitter. I find it hard to believe that this guy consistently failed to pick his favoured character when joining a match several times.

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 03:37:50 PM »
This sounds more like network issues/bugs than a quitter. I find it hard to believe that this guy consistently failed to pick his favoured character when joining a match several times.

I think there are a few issues that could be at play. I know 8BitProxy and I have spoken about this, but currently there is no alert other than the pop up that a game is ready for you.

My assumption is that a lot of people when they start to queue for a game actually Alt-Tab out of the game and are just cruising the internet superhighway. Then they get back to Armello and realise they've missed accepting a game!

The AI subbing in for Player Drop outs though is something we really want to get in for our next release :)

Kobb

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Western Deep
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
I wouldn't mind an option to allow game music to persist when tabbed out, and then have an audio cue for when the game has filled. Could also nice for when I multitask, so the game sounds won't cut out when I'm working on my other monitor between turns.

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 05:00:34 PM »
I wouldn't mind an option to allow game music to persist when tabbed out, and then have an audio cue for when the game has filled. Could also nice for when I multitask, so the game sounds won't cut out when I'm working on my other monitor between turns.

Totally - I was talking to our developers about this on Friday. I play a lot of Dota 2 and there is a sound that plays on your computer regardless of if your Alt-Tabed when a game is ready. Like a little chime or something!

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:07:04 PM »

Totally - I was talking to our developers about this on Friday. I play a lot of Dota 2 and there is a sound that plays on your computer regardless of if your Alt-Tabed when a game is ready. Like a little chime or something!

Just the same as League!

And a lot of Dota 2 is an understatement!

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:53:11 AM »
Fun fact, you can play Single player armello while you wait in the queue.  Sad you have to leave the game unfinished when the queue pops though.

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 10:56:12 AM »
Fun fact, you can play Single player armello while you wait in the queue.  Sad you have to leave the game unfinished when the queue pops though.

That is a fun fact :) Into the Guide it goes !

Trent has said that would be looking at a Save Game functionality a little later, so maybe when thats in you might be able to come back and finish the single player game later :D

Alvorn