Author Topic: PC Borderless Fullscreen Option  (Read 4517 times)

AlephErsatz

• Backer
    • View Profile
PC Borderless Fullscreen Option
« on: January 23, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »
I am a PC player with dual monitors. I devote one screen to gaming, and another to text / chat / twitter / etc. I enjoy when I can leave a game in Borderless Fullscreen with audio on so I can easily switch tasks without pausing or losing track of what the game is doing.

I'm not sure if this has / is being discussed, but I would like to suggest the following options for the game:

Borderless Fullscreen - This is a wonderful Windows 7 / 8 option that I love games to have. It allows me to full-screen the game on one monitor, but have it act as if it was playing in a window.

Audio in Background - If the window does not have focus, allow audio to continue playing.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
Re: PC Borderless Fullscreen Option
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »
I also have two monitors and thoroughly support your decisions! right now if I press Alt+Enter, Armello goes into window half on one screen and half on the other.
The audio option is nice too but Sometimes I have my own music playing :)

AlephErsatz

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 06:43:14 PM »
You can try changing the resolution of the game after setting it to windowed mode, but it doesn't look like you can resize it like a normal window. (Which I can understand, they may need to keep the game to specific resolutions)

The Audio in Background would be nice as an option because some people will want it, and some won't. I prefer the audio on in the background, when playing games, but sometimes I turn off the music. I still want the sound effects when I play but then I can listen to my music and keep it on my one monitor. :D

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
You can try changing the resolution of the game after setting it to windowed mode, but it doesn't look like you can resize it like a normal window. (Which I can understand, they may need to keep the game to specific resolutions)

The Audio in Background would be nice as an option because some people will want it, and some won't. I prefer the audio on in the background, when playing games, but sometimes I turn off the music. I still want the sound effects when I play but then I can listen to my music and keep it on my one monitor. :D

Yeah the resolution change does work But i dont want to have to go into settings whenever I want to play in window mode :)
I like my 1080p Resolution :)

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 08:40:24 PM »
Hi AlephErsatz!

We'd love to be able to implement PC borderless fullscreen option, however Unity (the game engine) has a few restrictions to implementing this.

Xaero

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 01:32:30 AM »
Unfortunately Unity is indeed a pain in the ass to get borderless windowed mode working without doing some specific windows dll code that deviates from the documented usage.

There is however another way, you can add  -popupwindow to a shortcut or to Steam's "Launch Options" and then turn off Fullscreen in the game, that at least works for the most part, although the sound is lost on losing window focus so still not 100% ideal.

AlephErsatz

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 04:27:37 PM »
I didn't realize that Armello was running on Unity, but if that's an engine limitation, then I fully understand. Thanks for the feedback!

However, the -popupwindow option appears to behave just like borderless window. Neat!

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 03:44:13 PM »
There is however another way, you can add  -popupwindow to a shortcut or to Steam's "Launch Options" and then turn off Fullscreen in the game, that at least works for the most part, although the sound is lost on losing window focus so still not 100% ideal.

Xaero with the HACKS!  ;D

Xaero

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:24:16 AM »
Xaero with the HACKS!  ;D
Haha :) Happy to help out a bit!