Author Topic: 0.3.0 general feedback  (Read 1123 times)

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
0.3.0 general feedback
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
Okies, my thoughts about early access build. As a disclaimer'ish comment, i wrote down this during test so some may have been fixed/changed and they're not sorted/organized in any way...i just added a topic as i thought/noticed them.

So here goes:

-Having to unlock rings and amulets was very a nice addition! ^^

-New amulet icons are really nice! Way more intuitive than previous ones. Also, it's nice the poor Dig finally found a fitting place after being used as placeholders at so many other options. We still need more variations and versatility to amulets tho, even if as unlockables. Currently most of time ppl just use Wits or Fight amulets, with a chance of going Body. Would be nice removing 1 stat per hero and allowing players to select 2 amulets instead or removing the stat gain from quests and letting a second amulet instead.

-You could add a Lore amulet that has no effect on gameplay and, instead, it changes the quests from random pick-up ones into a quest-based story of the clan you playing as. Something progressive, with even notorious battles and all (maybe some quests working as Peril) and once the whole questline is complete you unlocking a clan ring only obtainable this way. This would be something cool to make singleplayer matches more interesting!

-Still on rings line of idea, would be nice once we unlocked all rings of a clan we being able to enter clan grounds with other characters and purchase the access of that ring for them too. Example: I could unlock all 4 rings from Rabbit Clan then go with Mercurio and buy (with Gold) at rabbit clan grounds the access to those rings (maybe respectively 5, 10, 15 and 20 Gold.)

-The preset chat was cool...but would be nice some other types of comments, in special referring to emotions and game-related features. An example, we can't refer to King, guards or Banes, cheering up on beating palace peril or complaining about dying...or even the Clan motto! Would be nice Thane being able to yell an "Winter is coming!" to ppl! Advices/comments about cards would be nice too. This could even be something to be unlocked over time...who knows.

-Card gallery was awesome! For a min i thought there would be over 120 cards of some types tho...only later on i noticed the total cards are showing at top (96 total).

-IMO dungeon roulette are currently kind of unneeded. Seeing it's an automated feature, i don't really see any use in showing it. Max it will do it tease players into clicking to try and stop the roulette. Maybe if each dungeon content is limited and fixed (the reward list is always the same but every time a reward is received it's replaced with a blank or Bane icon) it would be interesting to see what's in that dungeon. ..this also would allow certain dungeons to have mainly followers, others mainly spirit stones and others mainly treasures, allowing playing to focus on dungeons with the rewards they want more. Maybe Dungeons could work like quests too so we can try and induce the type of reward we want by selecting a different type of test.

-New talent animations are really nice. So does the "visual log" of who's battling who, the results and cards usage.

-Royal Guards respawn became an annoyance. Already happened a couple times of me having to beat 3 guards in a row in the palace because the other 3 palace tiles were filled with guards at dawn. I know that going to palace is meant to be hard, but that's why the Perils are there, right? Being forced to beat every single guard in the palace (and potentially losing a Prestige per kill) just to be able to stay there really made king slaying an annoying task. Also, they should have just 1 AP. With 2 AP they can reach any tile at palace, forcing players to handle as many guards as are in the palace to stay there.

-Since Scout effect allows us to see others' quests, it also should allow us to "steal" them. It would give Scout he value it deserves! It also should allow us to see the Stone Circle hidden quest too.

-Spirit stones are too rare right now. Matches usually have around 6 stones total so the declaration usually ends with any chance of getting spirit stones win. Not worried about it tho since they're meant to be reworked. Also, Dig amulet felt good enough with an like 25% of exploring ending with spirit stones. Still, this rate should be better since it' still much easier to steal them from others and also taking in count that Royal Aquisition is pretty much a checkmate to the strategy (and to the match) if the player went with Dig amulet he obviously will be willing to take the exploring route over fight one.

-Amber's Tomb Raider talent is broken. The rate she gets followers and treasures is the same as other heroes, what turned her excellent talent into something worthless.

-I still shrugs to that "shield at plains" ring of rabbits. Still feels terribly useless. Maybe it should be +1 Fight or evade at plains instead...

-Sana's AI is acting up. Instead of playing now she spends the whole match jumping on Perils and suiciding to NPCs.

-At online matches would be nice in addition to timers we having an AI ready to play for idle/disconnected players so the match wouldn't need to end if one disconnected.

-At public game queue would be nice we actually being able to see who are the players found. Maybe opening a tooltip with his username when passing mouse over the "1" and "2" icons? An timeout option when all 4 players were found but one fail to answer so he's removed (or replaced with AI) would be cool too. ^^ Button to fill last spot with AI also is welcome. Maybe something conditional...only if all 3 player turn "AI Filler" on the last spot receiving AI and the match starting instead of searching a 4th player.

-New cards are nice! Feral is made of Win, Wyld Born is useful, Lightning Strike (as expected) indeed ended as a Sana-only card and Glamor was meh (i actually feel Glamor is currently too expensive to be useful).

-I confess i liked when the Prestige loss upon defeat was removed and didn't like it being back. IMO prestige should only be lost when defeating a King's Guard or due effect of cards. Currently it's causing player to run short of prestige, greatly increasing the impact cards like Allies' Pact and Game of Thorns have upon the match. Currently it's the "Game of Cowards"...the one who dare to play lose because they will occasionally die while the one that is always fleeing keep his prestige intact.

-Also, i feel that i should point this again...IMO the hand size and Wits shouldn't be connected at all. A 5-cards hand for everyone would be the best to have.

-Happy Rout mechanics was partially fixed. It felt kind of silly before, when characters were being routed even though there was available tiles to retreat. It still happens even when there's available tiles to go but only when the retreat was caused by Evade, which still is so silly that is almost funny. Just imagine that you roll Wits for evade so it's like the hero showing how smart he is in dribbling the opponent...but when he pass the foe and dash to flee he actually bumps on the glass door.

-Card Kill should reward Prestige and allow people to steal spirit stones. If not directly, would be cool we actually "dropping" the Spirit Stone so a quest visible to everyone would appear in the tile the player died and the first one to claim it would receive the dropped stone.

-After reevaluating the resources of the game, i think it would be more "enjoyable" if there was some balancing toward Gold gain. IMO the first step would be double the native Gold at dawn to 2 Gold + 1 per settlement instead of 1 + 1. The second step would be balancing some cards' cost. The game currently has way too many cards that feel useless due their abusive cost. Items like Throwing Axe, Shining Steel Sword and Trusty Shield certainly should cost just 1 Gold. Several of Trickery cards should have cost reduced too, while cards that affect Prestige like Game of Thorns, Allies' Pact, Patronage & Industry, Lord Scepter and Royal Banner should have their costs increased. Lastly, cards like Cursed Lands and Agent of Misfortune should be free.

-Still on line of resources, would be nice a "Resources" deck. Think about it...a deck where players can only draw Gold,  Magic, Spirit Stone and Rot (with last 2 being obviously much rarer than others). Sometimes it would be just more useful being able to get some resources than random cards at all. Who never had that expensive card aging at hand for several turns because you can't get enough resources?

-As one who often plays on mute i must say i love start screen music (main theme i assume) and how each hero also got his own "dingle". ^^

-At Battle/Perils the dice widget should stay below hand widget. It's really annoying when, you have a big hand, accidentally rolling the dice instead of grabbing the last card because die widget got priority. On this subject still, IMO the card burn time should be increased slightly so hand would be only shown after the card burn period started. Very often delays make the first card burn attempts fail because it wasn't 100% ready yet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:47:15 PM by Lienn »
No longer around...

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: 0.3.0 general feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:02:22 PM »
My own thoughts, not to be contrary to my friend Lienn here.

1. I don't think locking the amulets and rings is a good idea.  They were designed to allow a variety of playstyles, and playing 4+ games as the same character with a style you don't like might be demotivating.  It doesn't really add anything compared to how Beta played.

2. I agree that +1 wits just seems to dominate all but perhaps the rot and prestige amulets.

3.  Quests are still in placeholder mode right now, I think the "lore amulet" is slighted to just be the game in the near future.  If not, why would we want to make people choose between and interesting story in quests versus a level playing ground with the other characters?

4.  I'd like to understand the dungeon roulette more.  Am I correct in thinking each dungeons has a limited # of things, and the roulette is showing you all of those things until they deplete?  If so then it's a great addition.

5. I get lots of spirit stones, maybe I'm stealing Lienn's luck on that front.

6. The rabbit shield of plains was useful to me.  Amber is great at fighting, Evade is suicide, why would want that.

7. I think losing prestige on death is important for making death relevant.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:13:48 PM by 8BitProxy »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 03:50:22 PM »
Oh hey, an original concern.  I set a Peril and made a foe retreat into it's square.  It did not trigger.  Bug, or working as designed?  If the latter I wish that would change.  After all, forcing people into swamps hurts them right?

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:55:50 PM »
Oh hey, an original concern.  I set a Peril and made a foe retreat into it's square.  It did not trigger.  Bug, or working as designed?  If the latter I wish that would change.  After all, forcing people into swamps hurts them right?

Bug. It's already addressed and may be fixed soon enough. The intented result is the Peril triggering as soon as the player on top of peril's turn start.
No longer around...

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 04:42:14 AM »
I was thinking...with the Prestige loss upon death and the increased difficulty of getting corrupted, would be nice Favour and Spoil amulets getting a boost. IMO Spoil should now give 3 Rot instead of 2 and Favour 5 Prestige instead of 2. After all by picking these amulets they're pretty much restricting themselves to a single strategy.

If you prefer a bit of randomness, could make it randomly add 2~5 at start of match instead.

...or if you prefer my fav, they adding nothing at start and, instead, Favour giving +1 Prestige at dawn and Spoil +1 Rot at night.

I could comment about Dig too, but this one i'll hbe keeping to myself until i see what's in their sleeves. ^^

Still on rings/amulets subject, would be cool in the future we actually having craft materials at dungeons and shops at settlements that could, occasionally, be used to unlock stuff. ^^Maybe in the future! ^^
No longer around...

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:25:10 AM »
Adding some more random thoughts toward some of the ideas at OP. (Well, this already turned out to be big enough >< deserves a TL;DR but there's too much details to add one.)

Resources Deck, Crafting, Lore Amulet and Singleplayer:

Discussing al these together because after digesting the ideas for a while all 3 actually felt they could be connected as something to make singleplayer more than "that place you spam matches to unlock rings and amulets". This actually would add a more refined purpose to it other than increasing the match count of heroes.

Lore Amulet, as pointed at OP, instead of adding gameplay bonuses to hero actually would add some gameplay changes to Singleplayer. Maybe having it unlocked once the player unlocked all 4 Victory amulets to prevent new players accidentally selecting it.

Resources Deck could offer Gold, Magic, Spirit Stones, Rot, Prestige and, at Singleplayer, crafting materials too...but only when you have Lore Amulet equipped. Same goes to dungeons and quests, now offering rare crafting materials too as reward options when Lore Amulet is equipped. All Resources Deck cards would have no cost and "Use to Self", with exception of Spirit Stones, Gold and crafting material that would be "Use to Self, Clan Grounds". Using these cards at Clan Grounds actually would be like discarding them game-wise because it would add the crafting materials instead to be used outside matches. Same goes, again, for materials obtained from Dungeons and Quests.

This way with Lore Amulet equipped the players would be able, at Singleplayer, to:

-Save Gold and materials for Crafing.

-Do an one-time storyline-themed set of quests (I'd say 10 or maybe 20? An amount that would take a couple matches to complete) for each hero so players could learn more about them, their story and why they decided to join the throne race. As reward maybe unlock A hidden clan ring and, maybe, a clan-exclusive (or even hero-exclusive) ring or amulet...or weapon!

I personally like hero-exclusive rings idea so it could focus in improving that hero specifically and hidden clan ring as one to be unlocked after you unlocked a certain number of hero-exclusive rings so it could be strong!

About weapons, i like the idea of them being there too, but more as crafted weapons, working like a mix of amulets and rings with each clan having a Signature Weapon (like Clan Rabbit's Murasama or Clan Bear's Stone Staff), that can only be selected by Clan Rabbit members and heroes' Signature weapons (like Thane's Rune Claymore (blargh! I like weapons with fancy names...as his one being named Silverfang) or Mercurio's Twin Blades), whose are made specifically to enhance the said hero and that can be equipped by anyone but have additional effect when that hero equips it, like "Thane's Silverfang" (i like this name...don't hate me!) having as effect: +1 Fight Others: +1 Fight Thane: Burned Sword Cards explode and extra Swords obtained from Explosion also counts for Sword Master (so Silverfang would give +2 Fight to others and for Thane +1 Fight and enhance Sword Master effect). It IS a good weapon for everyone, but only Thane would get the best effect.

Since weapons would be something to select at "Rings & Amulets" screen maybe it could change it a bit to "select 2 items from different categories for your hero" so the player would have freedom to pick a weapon and a ring, a weapon and an amulet or a ring and an amulet...so if you feel some rings are not good enough for what you have in mind (like Sana going Rot path...in the end most rings would offer underwhelming benefits in this path so why not, instead of picking a ring, picking an amulet and a weapon?). For this we could, since we talking about future, post-release suggestions here, maybe even add the class idea that was suggested by me somewhere in the forum (i think on that topic where Trent cleaned up my suggestions..."Oh, the carnage! Suggestions' blood and gore all over the place!" lol) since it also added to "Rings & Amulets" screen.

Now about crafting...it would be all about making new weapons, rings and amulets with these materials and Gold outside the match (maybe something to do while waiting at queue?), with chances of adding new cards too. About cards, it would be like you using it to unlock rare cards to each deck that can be only drawn by those who unlocked it. Also, there would be just 1 copy of it so it a different player (who doesn't have it unlocked) draw it, it would auto-burn after drawing phase and be gone for the rest of the match.

Anyway, already FAAAAR off-topic when related to this topic's scope but it had to be posted here since the original suggestions are here too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:27:30 AM by Lienn »
No longer around...