Author Topic: Spell mechanics feedback  (Read 1319 times)

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
Spell mechanics feedback
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:43:44 AM »
So...for once i decided to play Sana a bit for the sake of seeing how a spell-based character would work...

-Amethyst Ring (Gain 1 prestige for every spell kill): Seriously...is it even usable? I made sure to buy and burn as many spells as i could to see if i actually could find a damaging spell card...only one i found was Plague (+1 Rot -1 Health)...but it's actually a Peril so not sure if ieven it counts...so the question remains...are there currently any damage dealing spell?

-The Cleansing Wyld (-1 Rot): This card REALLY should target other characters too. The usefulness of it is very limited outside cardburn unless you really wants to stay Rot-less. Yet if allowed to target others it would benefit of strategic value since lessening others' Rot now can be something good.

-Most spell cards actually lack usefulness when compared to Trickery and Items.IMO it should become a way of dealing direct damage, w/o being required combat (AKA ranged attacks). IMO offensive ones should have Spirit Range 2, cost Spirit and AP but deal decent damage.

Here some examples of spells that could be usable this way:

Purge: Cleans the target's Rot and causes -1 Health for every Rot point the target lost.
Wyld Fire: Causes -1 Health to target for every Wyld-type card in your hand.
Spirit Bolt: Consumes all your Spirit and causes -1 Health to target for evety Spirit lost this way.

As you can see, all the damage is affected by "something else" instead of relying of direct combat mechanics. They all have both a positive and negative effect, also consuming 1 AP per use.

Right now the spells feel directionless if compared to Items and Trickery so would be interesting they being more directed in a useful way like this (as example), also being an option for even non-magic characters like Wolf ranger, becoming the resource for ranged-attack-based characters.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:22:17 PM by Lienn »
No longer around...

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
Re: Spell mechanics feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 02:49:31 PM »
I swear cleansing wyld can be played on others. I have been robbed of Rot quite a few times!
Also I'm sure you already know this but there are still a tonne more cards to  be released :)
Thanks for your feedback Lienn!

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 06:26:58 PM »
I swear cleansing wyld can be played on others. I have been robbed of Rot quite a few times!
Also I'm sure you already know this but there are still a tonne more cards to  be released :)

Hmmm...you're right. After reading your reply i made sure to try again and it actually worked. Now i'm not sure why it didn't when i first tried it...maybe was noob enough to try and use it w/o enough spirit >< (only possibilities are one being at starting camp, out of range or short of spirit...but i'm sure they weren't at starting camp and with spirit range 6 it can be used in nearly the whole board so out of range is also unlikely...and cleansing wyld has quite a spirit cost ><)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:30:02 PM by Lienn »
No longer around...

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »

Hmmm...you're right. After reading your reply i made sure to try again and it actually worked. Now i'm not sure why it didn't when i first tried it...maybe was noob enough to try and use it w/o enough spirit >< (only possibilities are one being at starting camp, out of range or short of spirit...but i'm sure they weren't at starting camp and with spirit range 6 it can be used in nearly the whole board so out of range is also unlikely...and cleansing wyld has quite a spirit cost ><)

Problemo solvo! Now whether or not I kick myself for telling you that in future games, only time can tell :)