Author Topic: Beginning game frustrations  (Read 2008 times)

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
Beginning game frustrations
« on: December 05, 2014, 11:20:01 AM »
There are two random things to consider at the beginning of the game that can put any side at an early disadvantage: 1) the random starting hand and 2) guards spawning right on top of your first quest.

I know noise has already been made about the first, but I really need to put my weight behind it. Consider characters like Thane or Sana that only begin with 3 cards. Any good fighting character in this game is item-dependent, so it is unlikely that I would draw anything else to start. The majority of spells are worthless to have on the first turn unless you have the range to hurl perils across the board. For a corrupted character, I want to find those precious few Plagues and Poisoned Gifts ASAP to stack up the Rot early. And even those with higher Wits...I had a Mercurio that started with FIVE FREAKING SPELLS. Almost as frustrating as the one time I had a Yahtzee of wyld dice thrown against me (0.0129% chance of that happening). Allowing all to draw what they want at the start of the game is friendly for all, yet it gives no guarantee of getting what you want (just like any other turn).

LoG has made it clear that all quests are placeholder, but if they are at all similar to what we currently have, not being able to get to your first quest because a guard spawned on top of it is a massive handicap, especially since it is possible to get to your second on the second turn before they spawn at a distance. The advantage in resources other players could get over you early is undeniable, and a weak early game can leave you little chance if you get picked on. I do like guards blocking hexes (it can make the Incite Revolt card fiendishly useful and force difficult logistical decisions), but I would much prefer if that access to that first quest hex were unfettered.

Lastly, a curiosity...was the possibility of finding nothing in a dungeon significantly increased in the latest build? Because it sure feels that way.

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
Re: Beginning game frustrations
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:36:19 AM »
Lastly, a curiosity...was the possibility of finding nothing in a dungeon significantly increased in the latest build? Because it sure feels that way.

A quick response from me - the possibility of finding nothing hasn't increased since the last build, just an unlucky streak perhaps.   :(

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 02:21:00 AM »

A quick response from me - the possibility of finding nothing hasn't increased since the last build, just an unlucky streak perhaps.   :(

I can confirm that it was already possible to get nothing four times out of five attempts at dungeon delving in the first beta built.  Luck can do that to you.

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 04:46:23 AM »
Heh, luck is just probability taken too seriously. If they say the odds have not changed, I believe them. It is, however, obvious that Relic find rates have decreased now that they are free. Went from getting at least one in nearly every game to finding two total in all games played since 0.2.1 went live. Perfectly okay with this.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »
Heh, luck is just probability taken too seriously. If they say the odds have not changed, I believe them. It is, however, obvious that Relic find rates have decreased now that they are free. Went from getting at least one in nearly every game to finding two total in all games played since 0.2.1 went live. Perfectly okay with this.

I agree those 3 royal shields were very annoying!

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 11:57:52 PM »

I just played a game where Sana had two suits of armor and a shield.  Of course, she wasn't doing anything with all that weight on... but she was pretty much immune to combat damage.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:32:56 AM »

I just played a game where Sana had two suits of armor and a shield.  Of course, she wasn't doing anything with all that weight on... but she was pretty much immune to combat damage.

I like that build though, its entirely player choice on how they want to go they can tank and be useless when it comes to moving or go nimble and quick. Its relevant to real life you cant wear heavy armour and run.  I dont have an issue with a heavy armour build. Except for when I hold onto my heavy armour to equip when i need it and it gets stolen :( haha

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 02:29:29 AM »
I've noticed being able to burn unwanted cards in battle, even if you "lose" a dice or two from it, is incredibly useful.  Seems like the  game could use a manual discard command- otherwise having high fight will ultimately get you more "good cards" then high wit.

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 02:48:06 PM »
I've noticed being able to burn unwanted cards in battle, even if you "lose" a dice or two from it, is incredibly useful.  Seems like the  game could use a manual discard command- otherwise having high fight will ultimately get you more "good cards" then high wit.

Make that a +1 for the ability to just get rid of cards. Entering combat or facing a peril  just for the sake of being able to get rid of some or all of your cards doesn't feel right and is quite risky.

Alvorn