Author Topic: I don't think we need the "timer" for burning cards.  (Read 2132 times)

Lord Blade

• Backer
    • View Profile
I don't think we need the "timer" for burning cards.
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:11:19 AM »
I think it would be better to switch to a simple "phase" of burning cards, with a click of "done" or whatever when you're finished rather than using the current timer.

For one, it can be frustrating trying to grab and burn all the cards you want at times. Secondly, while you're still somewhat new you would want more time to look at just what a card does before deciding to burn it.

I have mainly been playing on my laptop (because the game crashes my computer for some reason) and doing the burn thing with the trackpad is a pain in the butt.

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: I don't think we need the "timer" for burning cards.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
I think this is intentional. Just like the newly implemented turn timers for multiplayer, the burn timer minimises the wait for all players. I also think it's design to be agitating and force the player to make quick risky decisions and encourage the range of emotions that come with doing so.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:03:14 AM »
It also forces the player to really think about what they are doing before jumping on another player. There is nothing worse then jumping in to find they have a shield bonus and you have to quickly burn everything

Wambly

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Rieping's Wambly Media
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:22:53 PM »
Indeed. Like the original poster, I scramble when the timer is burning and it messes me up often. But I think it provides intentional and useful pressure, especially in multiplayer.

Ty Carey

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »
The timer is intentional for the reasons stated by 8bit and Snacuum - but currently there are some annoying bugs affecting its usability (smoothly dragging cards) which makes the process uncomfortable. When this is tidied up burning cards should be quick and simple :)

Vindeb

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »
I don't mind the timer that much but I've had a lot of trouble looking at my cards and burning them before the timer runs out. It's too fast! Also, the cards should burn whenever you grab them and drop the on the screen. The target of the circle timer is not clear and sometime hard to hit when trying to beat that timer.

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 09:09:14 AM »
I don't mind the timer that much but I've had a lot of trouble looking at my cards and burning them before the timer runs out. It's too fast! Also, the cards should burn whenever you grab them and drop the on the screen. The target of the circle timer is not clear and sometime hard to hit when trying to beat that timer.

Hi Vindeb, yes this is something that we're working on!

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 12:02:53 PM »
I think the burn target should 'flare up' nice and big when a card is brought over to confirm that burning will occur, helping the players to process the actions quicker.

Caligari

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 11:36:15 PM »
Personally, the timer feels more like a multiplayer-relevant aspect than one which sits comfortably in single player (where I like to play at my own speed, taking note of everything carefully).

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 11:10:53 AM »
I like the timer. I think its a useful game mechanic for both Mulitplayer and Single player. It helps to create a sense of urgency and immidacy which to me refelects the pressure the Hero must feel in combat or trying to save themselves from a Peril.

Think about it, real combat is fast paced, messy and dam scary. Having the luxury to carefully pick and choose which cards you are going to burn doesn't reflect that at all.

I agree with ecomments about making it easier to burn the cards but Lisy and Ty have said they are on top of that so nothing really further to add :)