Author Topic: Some UI feedback  (Read 1768 times)

Valar Morghulis

• Backer
  • When you play the game of thrones, Jon wins.
    • View Profile
Some UI feedback
« on: November 21, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »
Thought I'd give some feedback as a UI/UX designer. In general everything is really beautiful, I love the card/board game elements, but there are a couple ways I'd make it better.

1. Clearer and quicker indication of where you're dropping a card.
While the sparkly circle indicator looks really pretty, its not really clear enough. Maybe you could highlight the tile/inventory slot you're dropping the card onto? Also, it takes quite a long time to register, which is a bit annoying because I usually fail at equipping the item/burning the card and so I have to grab it again. Playing the cards shouldn't take this level of precision. ESPECIALLY when there is a timer for burning cards.. if I want to burn four cards I usually can't. Help me out here, make the act of dropping a card simple and quick.

2. "Sana has played Withering Wilds on You"
I really like the activity tracker, and I think its a great feature. However, I'd love to be able to see the card my opponent played on me by hovering over the name in the feed. I might eventually have each card memorized, but until I do I'd love to check and see what exactly I lost when they played that card.

3. Zooming in and out
Good lord this feature is beautiful! Props to whoever worked on the visual effect here. However, the camera almost always feels too close in. I can't really get a sense of the board that well... maybe this is a design decision you made intentionally, but I'd love to get a little better board awareness. (Also, the camera only jumps to the other player sometimes. Most of the time it stays on me and plays footstep sounds. )

What if you could see little avatars of the other players on the edge of your screen, so that even when you're not hovering directly over them with the camera, you could still have a vague sense of their location? Like the indicator icons in Assassins Creed or another game like that. Might help with board-awareness, though I wouldn't want it to nerf stealth at all.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
Re: Some UI feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 05:35:19 PM »
Thought I'd give some feedback as a UI/UX designer. In general everything is really beautiful, I love the card/board game elements, but there are a couple ways I'd make it better.

1. Clearer and quicker indication of where you're dropping a card.
While the sparkly circle indicator looks really pretty, its not really clear enough. Maybe you could highlight the tile/inventory slot you're dropping the card onto? Also, it takes quite a long time to register, which is a bit annoying because I usually fail at equipping the item/burning the card and so I have to grab it again. Playing the cards shouldn't take this level of precision. ESPECIALLY when there is a timer for burning cards.. if I want to burn four cards I usually can't. Help me out here, make the act of dropping a card simple and quick.

I really like the activity tracker, and I think its a great feature. However, I'd love to be able to see the card my opponent played on me by hovering over the name in the feed. I might eventually have each card memorized, but until I do I'd love to check and see what exactly I lost when they played that card.

3. Zooming in and out
Good lord this feature is beautiful! Props to whoever worked on the visual effect here. However, the camera almost always feels too close in. I can't really get a sense of the board that well... maybe this is a design decision you made intentionally, but I'd love to get a little better board awareness. (Also, the camera only jumps to the other player sometimes. Most of the time it stays on me and plays footstep sounds. )

What if you could see little avatars of the other players on the edge of your screen, so that even when you're not hovering directly over them with the camera, you could still have a vague sense of their location? Like the indicator icons in Assassins Creed or another game like that. Might help with board-awareness, though I wouldn't want it to nerf stealth at all.

Thanks for the feedback Valar

I agree the equip section can be a bit confusing however it is all explained in the tutorial section for new players in order to not crowd the actual game area.  As for the activity tracker cards this is a must and the LoG team is well aware of it. There is talk of removing that entirely and replacing it with a nicer graphic and maybe communication features like Hearthstone however this is still in the works. No guarantees.

The player location has every player bound to a number key from 1 to 4 and you can press space to find yourself.  Also you can press tab on a character to find out who's turn is after them.

Valar Morghulis

• Backer
  • When you play the game of thrones, Jon wins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 05:40:47 PM »
I actually think the equip section's layout is great (maybe could be a bit condensed though, seems a bit wide even on my 1920x1080 monitor)

However, the main issue I'm having is conveyance when dragging/dropping. The cards currently have a timer that starts just after you hover over an area, and finishes as the sparkles finish a full circle. The animation here is too subtle to read quickly, which means that I often let go of the card before the timer is complete. Then it jumps back to my hand (in a different spot... shouldn't it go to the same spot?)

So, to improve it, I would say make the timer go faster, make it more visible/clear that you have to wait, and make the area/tile/drop location change color or glow to help you recognize where its going to go.  A bit of conveyance and a quicker animation would make this interaction feel flawless & nice.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
I actually think the equip section's layout is great (maybe could be a bit condensed though, seems a bit wide even on my 1920x1080 monitor)

However, the main issue I'm having is conveyance when dragging/dropping. The cards currently have a timer that starts just after you hover over an area, and finishes as the sparkles finish a full circle. The animation here is too subtle to read quickly, which means that I often let go of the card before the timer is complete. Then it jumps back to my hand (in a different spot... shouldn't it go to the same spot?)

So, to improve it, I would say make the timer go faster, make it more visible/clear that you have to wait, and make the area/tile/drop location change color or glow to help you recognize where its going to go.  A bit of conveyance and a quicker animation would make this interaction feel flawless & nice.

That's a good point the colours can be difficult to see at times and when your under a time limit to equip it gets a bit stressful.

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:10:54 PM »
Yeah it's been mentioned a lot lately how the activity tracker needs more juice. Especially so since there's cards now that take effect of multiple turns and would be nice to get a reminder what's happening.

MadFerret

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:20:23 AM »

Number 2 was such a big issue for me! I'm definitely throwing myself behind this one! Readability is one thing I think this game needs more of, personally. My first game was a lot of "WHAT'S HAPPENING?!" So after a couple more games I'm gonna form my own thread on that.

And I definitely think number 1 is good as well!