Author Topic: Beta feedback: Multiplayer pace.  (Read 1260 times)

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
Beta feedback: Multiplayer pace.
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »
Ok, after playing a couple singleplayer and multiplayer matches i noticed that multiplayer matches are noticeably slower. So my feedback is in special about this.

1- Character selection timeout: Would be nice a button to trigger timer as soon as there's at least 2 players ready. I believe most would rather have AI for unselected heroes over waiting dozens of minutes for someone to pop.

2- Quests: Questing should be moved as something to be done between turns, not during them. Sometimes it feels like we quickly pick an option to speed up the things, only reading the type of test. Being between turns allow players to have time to read it all and enjoy the flavor texts as well.

3- The only tiles highlighted should be the ones we're able to walk to. Same should go for cards. Have tiles it can be used on highlighted. Right now is kinda troublesome having to pass the card over tiles to see which ones we can use it on.

EDIT:

4- The "end turn" should be automatic when you run out of APs.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:17:45 PM by Lienn »
No longer around...

TheSpectralWolf

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Beta feedback: Multiplayer pace.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 03:21:58 PM »
Ok, after playing a couple singleplayer and multiplayer matches i noticed that multiplayer matches are noticeably slower. So my feedback is in special about this.

1- Character selection timeout: Would be nice a button to trigger timer as soon as there's at least 2 players ready. I believe most would rather have AI for unselected heroes over waiting dozens of minutes for someone to pop.
Multiplayer games are for sure much slower since the AI resolves everything pretty much instantly where as a person has to play out their turn and especially so in a fight. You can set the remaining heroes to AI to get the game going as long as you're the first(top most on the list) person in the room for the game.
2- Quests: Questing should be moved as something to be done between turns, not during them. Sometimes it feels like we quickly pick an option to speed up the things, only reading the type of test. Being between turns allow players to have time to read it all and enjoy the flavor texts as well.
I understand where you're coming from on this but you essentially have 2 minutes for your turn. Then again I a have already played quite a few games already so I'm a bit more familiar with the gameplay in general. Just keep in mind that as long as you plan ahead of where you're going to go and what you're going to do before your turn you should have plenty of time to read the quest description and choices. Being able to increase the turn timer by 30 seconds to a minute in a game would help as well, so that could possibly also be an option added in somewhere or just flat out changed.

3- The only tiles highlighted should be the ones we're able to walk to. Same should go for cards. Have tiles it can be used on highlighted. Right now is kinda troublesome having to pass the card over tiles to see which ones we can use it on.
Being able to tell where you can and can't move to on a turn is pretty quick to figure out so I don't quite see the point in needing to limit the first part of your idea here other than for looks. For cards I can see it allowing players to more easily figure out where they can and can't place the cards in relation to their location on the board much quicker so that I  can get behind for sure.

Keep up the good feedback!
According to long lost articles about the development of the game, the original working title for Armello was actually Murphy's Law: The Digital Board Game.*
*Actual articles not guaranteed to exist.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I'm sure you will understand as you play more but often it is good to spend some time looking around the board and sorting your cards to make a victory plan before your enemy makes their turn.

YouTube | Email

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I'm sure you will understand as you play more but often it is good to spend some time looking around the board and sorting your cards to make a victory plan before your enemy makes their turn.

The problem is that w/o an automatic "end turn" players may occasionaly forget to end it. I already did it myself a couple times and saw others do too...we start fooling around, reading cards, checking stats, etc because "our turn is over" w/o noticing we forgot to press end turn, usually only noticing this when the 20secs timer pops on screen...and this all also works as somthing to be done between turns.

But the main point is that slow turns make matches very boring. Best ones i did so far were with Iron Kaiser + AIs exactly because we were playing in a faster pace, taking the opponents' turns to handle stuff instead of our own. Maybe it was just some newbie experience (since i assume most didn't play alpha build so they're still gewtting usd to the game) but there were some matches that were so slow i actually started a solitaire game to play between turns. ^^:

Anyway, maybe as the game evolves these idle periods become shorter due new features to the point of 2min/player not feeling like an eternity. ^^:
No longer around...

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 01:27:05 PM »
This sounds more like a communication issue. Ending a turn should be controlled by the player or the timer. If the player 'forgets' to end turn and everybody is waiting then that sounds like player's problem more than the games. The only thing that Armello could do better is highlight the need for end-turn even more, or integrate chat system (they're working on it) so player can better communicate their actions.