Author Topic: can someone explain a few things or tell me where to read about it?  (Read 3860 times)

123jimmy10

• Backer
    • View Profile
For example, what is scouting or evade or things of that nature. there are no explanations in the game and I can't find any here.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
Re: can someone explain a few things or tell me where to read about it?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:36:58 AM »
Scouting is quite new so it still is being worked along with Peril Vision.  Basically Evade allows the player to turn all their combat rolls into defense making you pretty much a tank at night.  However the down side is if  you evade you move back a tile and if you cant evade into a tile because your on the side of the map you die.

Scouting allows you to see players stealthed around you usually within a tile or two. This also negates a players stealth in combat and allows you to burn cards. If a lot of players have stealth it might be worth hunting down the sailors lantern which is an item equip allowing you scout vision.

The third thing you may not understand is Peril vision. Peril vision allows a player to see the perils around them and know what they are up against, also whether or not its been buffed.

YouTube | Email

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »
For example, what is scouting or evade or things of that nature. there are no explanations in the game and I can't find any here.

Sure. Ask away and we can help :)

Evade drastically changes the way combat works when evading players are involved and is designed to make some Heroes a little slipperier in certain situations.
This is how Evade works:
•   If you have the Evade ability, when you are being attacked...
o   You roll your Wits instead of your Fight, but...
•   ...all hits count as defense (meaning you may do no damage).
•   ...you always retreat when Evading.

Scout allows you to see Hero's who are stealthed if they are in the Tile next to you.

8Bit Proxy and I are working on a full  Unoffical Game Guide. It will answer these and more questions :) It should hopefully be out in the next couple of days.

123jimmy10

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 11:00:18 AM »
what about the dice? I know the sword and the shield.. but what about the others?

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile

123jimmy10

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »
That solved all of my dice questions! is there a page that explains combat? I get kinda confused sometimes; life for example, if an opponent attacks me and I have like 4 shields left afterwards, it counts as my losing? hmm?..

123jimmy10

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 05:16:45 AM »
anyone?

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:49:01 AM »
That solved all of my dice questions! is there a page that explains combat? I get kinda confused sometimes; life for example, if an opponent attacks me and I have like 4 shields left afterwards, it counts as my losing? hmm?..

Have you checked out Alvorn & 8BitProxy's awesome Quick Start Guide?

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »

If you dont understand it after reading through the guide the Lisy linked, could you elaborate on what you mean by this? Thanks

YouTube | Email

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
I like complained about this too in my feedback. Funnily enough now cards have little tool-tip pop-up when you select them to view them in the center of the screen. I think the details will (or should) show up there.

123jimmy10

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »
I read it, but I am still unsure about what decides victory in combat. For example, I will be attacked and successfully block all attacks and take no damage, but it says I am defeated and I am removed from my square..

TheSpectralWolf

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
I read it, but I am still unsure about what decides victory in combat. For example, I will be attacked and successfully block all attacks and take no damage, but it says I am defeated and I am removed from my square..

I want to say that if no one takes damage you can still get chased off of the tile you're on if you didn't roll any offensive symbols and the other player did. This is how Evade works at least so I'm assuming the same applies here, but I can't remember for sure.
According to long lost articles about the development of the game, the original working title for Armello was actually Murphy's Law: The Digital Board Game.*
*Actual articles not guaranteed to exist.

Fletchtower

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Hopefully, one of these guides will explain a lot more of how the game mechanics interact. Or whether major ones aren't currently implemented. I've spent a few hours with the beta, and I'm not getting a good feel for any of the strategic options. Right now, "Wander around and hope you stumble across prestige in dungeons or quests" seems to be the only key to victory.

There appear to be some really interesting systems, but the whole is unsatisfying. I'm hoping that's because it's not all there yet.

If anyone wants to clue me in to what I'm missing, feel free.

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
Hopefully, one of these guides will explain a lot more of how the game mechanics interact. Or whether major ones aren't currently implemented. I've spent a few hours with the beta, and I'm not getting a good feel for any of the strategic options. Right now, "Wander around and hope you stumble across prestige in dungeons or quests" seems to be the only key to victory.

There appear to be some really interesting systems, but the whole is unsatisfying. I'm hoping that's because it's not all there yet.

If anyone wants to clue me in to what I'm missing, feel free.

Heya! Did you take a look at Alvorn & 8BitProxy's Quick Start Guide?

Prestige is definitely not the only winning conditions :)

Fletchtower

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 03:01:06 AM »
Yep. But both the guide and the game are unclear as to viable paths to those other victory conditions.

If I want to go for the Prestige victory, I should perform "Heroic deeds such as succeeding quests  or defeating opponents and banes." Fine, I can wander around the map and do that, though trying to gather it through dungeons and quests seems a lot more productive than combat if you're anyone other than Thane. But it's hard to plot against the other heroes when you can't tell where their quest tiles are. Several times I've played where I have a clear prestige lead, but then another hero walks across a seemingly plain tile and gets a big prestige boost, presumably because he or she has completed a quest. If I knew another hero was heading towards a quest, I could then try to make that more difficult to protect my lead, which would make for more strategic interaction.

If I want to go for the Spirit Stone victory, I should cross my fingers because they aren't reliably found anywhere. But, okay, a randomized victory condition that you stumble across rather than pursue adds flavor.

If I want to go for the Kingslayer victory, I should...what? Keep playing cards willy nilly until I've collected enough of the right symbols to burn and get me through the peril (and the guard, if necessary)? Wait until the King is nearly dead anyway so that I can kill him more easily and hopefully have had the time to find the items/followers that will allow me to survive?

The way it comes across now is that the one viable path to victory is prestige and that the other options are late game hail marys if you are behind in the prestige race. Is that the way it's supposed to be? I think it would be more interesting if each victory condition was viable, and they just required different prioritization to achieve. I thought that was the original intent, but I'm not seeing it so far.

But that doesn't necessarily mean these nuances aren't there. Just that if they are, they're not very clear at the moment.  And it may be that some of the aspects that make non-prestige victories more attractive aren't in yet. This is the kind of stuff I'd be most interested to see in the next guide or revision to the tutorial system.