Author Topic: Backers meet the Geeks!  (Read 1707 times)

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
Backers meet the Geeks!
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Hey all,

Last week I had the honour of meeting the team behind Armello: The League of Geeks! For those of you not able to make it to PAX AUS et. al. I'm glad to report that the Trent Kusters and the rest of the League are fantastic friendly people. The trust we've put in them to make this great game the best it can truly be is very well founded and I'd like to say it now feels like I can talk about Armello with the same excitement and fervour I would for game developed by my friends.

As a burgeoning developer myself, it was great to join developers at Game Connect Asia Pacific 2014, where Australian Developers get together to share their knowledge of development and excitement about new games being made. Trent was involved in a few panels and he spilled the beans on fascinating game dev challenges in his career; much learning! Here I introduced myself and discovered the great relationships LoG are willing to forge with both the Australian game dev community and the backers responsible for making Armello a reality. At the end of this event was the Australian Games Developer Awards, and while Armello wasn't (currently) the winner of any, it was still a great celebration of our culture and achievements.

On Thursday I visited The Arcade: a fancy collaborative game developer studio space in the heart of Melbourne where a whole bunch of quality indie devs have set up shop (they don't have a website at this moment, so please enjoy their twitter @TheArcadeMelb and this newspaper article). There's a whole bunch of really cool devs there, including the LoG. During this visit, Trent took me up to their office where I met more of the team working hard on the game; all of them, lovely people. For a few minutes there I had a taste of the game development career I've sought after for so long, and this has only hardened my resolve - thanks guys!

During PAX it was great to see that Armello was tremendously popular. The devs were rushing off their feet to attend to anybody interested and the tiny booth they were given was overflowing. Most people appeared to enjoy the game and I heard continuous praise for the style and polish already present. It was also great to finally see other backers greeted with open arms and given the chance to play Armello if they haven't already. On a side note: there was a great showing of Australian indie games all throughout PAX. For any backers for whom Armello is one of the first Australian games they've been excited about, I highly recommend looking up the other other exhibitors to find out what else our country has to offer.

After all was said and done we had a party for all. We talked and talked. If there's one thing I can say is that the LoG are abundant in passion for Armello. If their emails have not made it incredibly clear, they're pretty darn grateful for us - the backers. I don't work for them, but I nonetheless feel like a part of the team, a real contributor to this Australian scene and this game. Even if other backers here only backed out of desire to get a neat game - you're appreciated, you contributed. At the end, they thanked and thanked me and all the other backers they met. Even though I knew it wasn't over, it brought a tear to my eye. While maybe not in name - we are all a part of The League of Geeks.

--------------------------------
Man that was soppy. Anyway... this thread is now essentially about the experiences of backers who have met anyone who's building Armello.

(PS: hows my writing? I think it's a bit overly verbose and in this case is filled with superlatives. Thanks LoG for turning me into a pile of fanboyish gibberish.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:26:38 PM by Snacuum »

Ty Carey

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Backers meet the Geeks!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
We're honoured, Snacuum. It was wonderful to meet you, and many of our backers. Without you guys this game wouldn't exist.  And your continued support, posts and suggestions help keep this project and community alive.

Fantastic post - what a great summary of GCAP and PAX!

Trent Kusters

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
PROOF!

Great to meet you, Snacuum! <3

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
As you can see I opted for stoic posture over a hover-hand.

Trent Kusters

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:23:13 PM »
Hahaha! I would have totally paid the hover hand.

macoman1

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »
That's an awesome story man! It's always great to hear about fans meeting LoG. The fact that they are more than happy to interact is a great thing.