Author Topic: Build 0.1.038 Alpha Thoughts  (Read 1537 times)

Lucas

• Backer
  • Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinity
Build 0.1.038 Alpha Thoughts
« on: October 04, 2014, 06:34:51 AM »
So, I've played the new build a few times now, and the new build has DEFINITELY added some new twists on gameplay that I really enjoy, but I did have a few thoughts to share:

The game feels more relaxed, in a good way. With the many new options available (such as Evade, and various new Peril cards in the decks) the added content allow you to relax a bit, because you no longer have to be in a rush to try to save your settlement from being captured, or spend turns running away or avoiding a player or Bane, or a King's Guard (of course ;3 - good touch with the Hare's Halberd they now carry.) 

The gameplay itself is very well balanced overall. I enjoy the uncertainty of confrontation, because if you've played this game you KNOW how even a well prepared action can be risky.  The few prior builds were also well balanced, but I could rush the King by Day turn 3, with about a 30% chance of success on passing a Palace Peril and kamikaze kill the King for a win.  (This worked actually with each character with the lowest chance actually being Mercurio surprisingly [his lower Spirit prevented a lot of good Spell cards from being viable.])

The new build has made that play style option EXTREMELY risky now, because of the full loss of Prestige upon challenging the King (and then losing to the player with the highest Prestige does make sense, it should have been something like that earlier ^^) I don't think it is 100% impossible, because of the randomness of card draw and dice rolls COULD swing in your favor.  However yeah, the chances of that are quite low. :3 Spirit stones are more valuable, and Prestige even more so.

Since Wits is the easiest to increase at the moment, with Spirit being almost impossible (yes, I know more content and things will be added to probably balance that, but these are just my thoughts ^^) the game has shifted to a much longer planning and higher risk factor with making moves (now that plains have a Peril trap card "Wandering Circus" ;3 I LOVE IT, very fun card). The Palace Perils keep you at bay longer, since Fight and Body were removed. Personally, I would say keep them as the four base stats, because even if Fight and Body are easier to break through, the penalty for rushing the King ill prepared is dire enough to make it a crazy move.

The game is something special. It is quite fun, and I look forward to each new build and all the neat ideas LoG has. I really look forward to Multiplayer as well. That will be awesome.... XD

Final thoughts:
- I am not sure if I saw it mentioned, but perhaps, but is Tanglevine SUPPOSED to damage you and GIVE you an action point? That happened to me in this build, but the card does read as -1 Wound and +1 Action Points, so perhaps? It just seems incorrect, considering the idea of it.
- Also on Tanglevine, I think it would also be great if it worked on Forests as well. The Spell range of 3 and cost of Magic evens out the balance I think with Hidden Trap, (which would be appropriate for Mountains as well IMO).
- Evading back against the Palace allows you to bypass the Peril without triggering it. Perhaps evading against the Palace could result in a Rout instead?
- On the topic of why a player can be slain multiple times and the King once? Yeah, it is obviously silly, but it is a digital board game, so I think it can slide. The King's the goal. :3 Just don't kill him and die trying :P That's when it COUNTS.
- Cat Burglar is much better at cost of 3 now, instead of 4. Makes using it much more likely.

I probably have more to say, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Enjoy reading! 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:41:23 AM by Lucas »

SpiritFox

• Backer
  • All hail the Wolf Queen!
    • View Profile
Re: Build 0.1.038 Alpha Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 01:21:30 PM »
- I am not sure if I saw it mentioned, but perhaps, but is Tanglevine SUPPOSED to damage you and GIVE you an action point? That happened to me in this build, but the card does read as -1 Wound and +1 Action Points, so perhaps? It just seems incorrect, considering the idea of it.

That sounds more like Hot Rot Wine, rather than Tanglevine...
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

Lucas

• Backer
  • Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
Just got some screen caps. I would like to note the reason the board looks funny is because my computer is a piece of #$%&, pardoning the vernacular.  It is also one reason why I have not been able to discern to many visual bugs, since it all looks broken to me already. However, whenever I use my brother's computer, the game is visually gorgeous, and then it is easier to log those graphical issue bugs.

What follows are three screen caps, one before moving onto the swamp and thus expending all my action points with Tanglevine highlighted, on the swamp with no action points and 2 health, and finally after the swamp, with one health in the forest and having spent my bonus action point.

So, yeah, thinking Tanglevine should be -1 wound and -1 action point? :3

AndrewG73

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »
*snip* The few prior builds were also well balanced, but I could rush the King by Day turn 3, with about a 30% chance of success on passing a Palace Peril and kamikaze kill the King for a win.  (This worked actually with each character with the lowest chance actually being Mercurio surprisingly [his lower Spirit prevented a lot of good Spell cards from being viable.])

The new build has made that play style option EXTREMELY risky now, because of the full loss of Prestige upon challenging the King (and then losing to the player with the highest Prestige does make sense, it should have been something like that earlier ^^) I don't think it is 100% impossible, because of the randomness of card draw and dice rolls COULD swing in your favor.  However yeah, the chances of that are quite low. :3 Spirit stones are more valuable, and Prestige even more so.   *snip*

This has made the game much more enjoyable - nothing was more frustrating than building up Prestige and losing to a kamikaze run.

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »
Just got some screen caps. I would like to note the reason the board looks funny is because my computer is a piece of #$%&,

Lucas, this tile blackout is nuts.  Can you send us a bug report from the game titled 'tile blackout' in the subject field? That way we'll get your system specs and we might be able to do something about this.

Does this happen every game?

Lucas

• Backer
  • Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 03:10:54 AM »
Yes, this happens for me every game on my personal computer, but to be honest it is a bit outdated, and even in its heyday it was struggling with Skype and other programs. I will send a bug report later when I get home from work.

As noted, when I play on my brother's computer the tiles are gorgeous and visually everything works much better (not counting the known glitches/bugs).

It took me a few games to learn the board and now I can navigate it easily enough. Thank goodness for the few details my machine CAN handle. I prefer to use my brother's for playtesting, for reasons above, but I don't see him often enough to be using his computer.

AndrewG73

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »
I'm not liking the removal of the four different perils from around the palace.
I felt they were there so that each hero had something that played to their strengths.
I did wonder why they weren't placed at the furthest point from them though so as to have to navigate the palace to reach their favoured peril.