Author Topic: Introducing Sylas, Fisher of Souls  (Read 14603 times)

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Introducing Sylas, Fisher of Souls
« on: September 26, 2014, 02:59:30 AM »
Let's take a look at Sylas, Fisher of Souls, a glimpse into not only his tragic past but his twisted path. And now, to meet the infamous otter himself...   

Unlike his father, it could never be said that Sylas was a hero. Mostly, he led a simple, fulfilled life. A taciturn fisherman, resolute and easy to anger, but skilled and quick of decision, reliant enough to be considered a river dog worth following. The rivers leading from the King’s grounds to the Eastern Marshlands, were bountiful and rich, and he, like his father before him, fished and defended the waters alongside his lodge.

It was desire that undid Sylas, not for gold or riches, but for something far more precious, for the riverways of the King’s hunting grounds held a fabled fish no otter had ever tasted. This ancient, legendary fish, scales of rainbow and eyes of gold, was said to have swam only in the crystal waters of the King’s hunting grounds.

Arguing that no man or ruler should ever have the right to claim such profound beauty, and in direct defiance of the King’s laws, Sylas stalked the royal riverbanks from dusk ‘til dawn, every night, until under a golden sun, the magnificent creature revealed itself and Sylas’ harpoon struck true. As he and his closest kin dined on that virgin pink flesh that night, the aromas left his holt and pierced the village air. For a moment he was a hero.

Then, the slaughter. A night of hideous terror as the King’s Guards gathered the village up into the hall, barred the doors and set it alight. Sylas, chained outside, watched as his entire lodge, his village, his father’s legacy, his family, everything he had ever cared for, turned to ash before his eyes.

Left for dead by the King’s Guard, Sylas began to waste away. Every semblance of joy in his broken heart now tarred with suffering. Then, somewhere in the darkness between life and death, a sinister whisper reached into his grieving soul and offered him freedom... but not without a cost.

Not long after, a travelling merchant happened upon the otter. Now it is too grim a tale to tell of the rage unleashed upon that poor soul who freed such anger incarnate. Perhaps the world would be a better place had Sylas not been freed. For the simple Sylas that once lived, was no more. Blackened by a stain so dark on his soul, Death himself stood in his place.

In the horrific tales that followed him as he made his way far from the royal grounds to bide his time, to reignite his father’s talents that lie deep within him and to explore darker, forbidden ways to augment his hatred, not once did they ever mention a desire for the throne.

Just four cold, hard words… The King must die.

So... who's gonna be playing as Sylas when the time comes?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:42:26 PM by Trent Kusters »

Xiander

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing Sylas, Fisher of Souls, of the Bandit Clan
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:36:39 AM »
I know I say this about every champion... But I'll be playing this guy hard.

What I really like about his backstory is that he is the first champ who is presented as anything but a nice guy. All the others up till this point have at the very least been sympathetic. Not that I don't sympathise with Sylas, i mean the guy had his entire village murdered for eating fish... But he just seems much darker than any earlier champ, and I loooove that  ;D
In the interest of not putting anyone off their appetites... I hid the bodies elsewhere.

Agog to be the 3,579th wizard on BackerKit for Armello

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 06:16:44 AM »
Awesome! Best background story so far!! @_@ I wrote it at KS but may do it again here...finally a true hero arises (or anti-hero)! I believe no one can be hero w/o suffering and seems like Sylas got enough of it for himself and even plenty of it to share to others! 

And now that we have Skill, Honor and Pain, let the fox be Lust! /o/
No longer around...

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 06:42:33 AM »
Considering his back-story, if you win with prestige victory, it should say you lost.

TheSpectralWolf

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 06:45:15 AM »
A character that makes the Punisher look like Mr. Rogers? Why yes, I do approve the hell out of this!  Well, you all also managed to create a character that can actually give the Bane nightmares besides give the current heroes something to really worry about. I'm planning on playing a bit as every character, but this is making that a little trickier than I originally thought it would be.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:48:11 AM by TheSpectralWolf »
According to long lost articles about the development of the game, the original working title for Armello was actually Murphy's Law: The Digital Board Game.*
*Actual articles not guaranteed to exist.

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 08:13:21 AM »
Oh my doge, yes. Every bit as dark as I hoped his story would be, and essentially confirmed my suspicions about the way he would play even without seeing his skillset. This guy will be high risk/high reward Rot incarnate as he seeks to put the King's head on his spear as otterly quickly as possible. Certainly works into my play style.

Potential exchanges with this lovable murderer could be rather entertaining...

"Excuse me, have you any fish?"
"No sir, I..."
"Wait, there's one!" *Spear to the chest through the heart*
*Gurgle*
"Ah, this isn't a fish. Still looks tasty, though."
...last thing victim sees is the otter feasting away.

Considering his back-story, if you win with prestige victory, it should say you lost.

^ Lol'd.

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 10:58:53 AM »

Ahahahaa! Wow. That's amazing. *strokes moustache*

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
Not going to lie, I had no real interest in playing this guy hard but hearing his back story, I'm definitely intrigued to see what kind of quests he has!

I agree with Lienn, Best background story so far! Keep them coming LoG

YouTube | Email

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 09:54:30 AM »

I don't see why.  If you win with a prestige victory, the king is dead.  All Sylas cares about is that the king must die - he isn't going to go off and commit suicide just because the lion's sickness got him first.  If anything I'd expect him to enjoy the fact that the king Rotted away instead of getting a nice, clean death in combat.

Now if you wanted to say that using the stones to banish the king meant that you lost, then I could see your point.

SpiritFox

• Backer
  • All hail the Wolf Queen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 11:32:24 AM »
Sylas wants vengeance and there's nothing worse than suiciding to deny your opponent a kill, I can tell you :P

“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »

I don't see why.  If you win with a prestige victory, the king is dead.  All Sylas cares about is that the king must die - he isn't going to go off and commit suicide just because the lion's sickness got him first.  If anything I'd expect him to enjoy the fact that the king Rotted away instead of getting a nice, clean death in combat.

Now if you wanted to say that using the stones to banish the king meant that you lost, then I could see your point.

Something just tells me that his desire to see the King die is personal enough that he'll want it to be by his own hand. Hell just the line "The King must die." It's not "The King will die." Typically that connotes the need for vengeance and a mission to achieve it. Not just that but prestige victory is essentially 'now that the king has passed, who shall rule the land?' This doesn't sound like what Sylas would want, even if he deserved it.

Killing the King while he is trapped and vulnerable, just as was done to Sylas's village, would surely be the truest form of victory.

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 06:35:23 PM »

Something just tells me that his desire to see the King die is personal enough that he'll want it to be by his own hand. Hell just the line "The King must die." It's not "The King will die." Typically that connotes the need for vengeance and a mission to achieve it. Not just that but prestige victory is essentially 'now that the king has passed, who shall rule the land?' This doesn't sound like what Sylas would want, even if he deserved it.

Killing the King while he is trapped and vulnerable, just as was done to Sylas's village, would surely be the truest form of victory.

That's true! It actually could be used to make him a unique character...one that cannot win through Prestige Victory but that has all parameter increasing every time the King loses HP. It would be a way to show the urge he has to kill him before he dies! ^^ +1 on everything for each HP lost by the king...at last turn he would hold +7 on everything! Certainly berserking already...to the point only fools  would try and stand between him and the mad king!
No longer around...

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 03:53:29 AM »

That's true! It actually could be used to make him a unique character...one that cannot win through Prestige Victory but that has all parameter increasing every time the King loses HP. It would be a way to show the urge he has to kill him before he dies! ^^ +1 on everything for each HP lost by the king...at last turn he would hold +7 on everything! Certainly berserking already...to the point only fools  would try and stand between him and the mad king!

Maybe not that much, it would be a little bit ridiculous but is certainly like this idea! Maybe even relate it to the kings guard instead? For instance, for each guard he kills he gets +1 to a stat? That way he cant get op until late game but by then other players will stand a chance against him. However, if you were to introduce a specialty like this, every other character would need one too.

YouTube | Email

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 06:17:55 AM »
Oh, the infinite possibilities of the talent trees we know absolutely nothing about. The withholding of that information is almost as torturous than the wait to play itself!

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 10:50:21 AM »
Oh, the infinite possibilities of the talent trees we know absolutely nothing about. The withholding of that information is almost as torturous than the wait to play itself!

Im really curious to see what talents LoG settles with for each character too!

YouTube | Email