Author Topic: Rejoining in Multiplayer Games after AI takes player spot  (Read 101 times)

IntentKitten

• View Profile
Rejoining in Multiplayer Games after AI takes player spot
« on: November 25, 2017, 11:12:42 AM »
Most recent thread I found discussing this topic: http://leagueofgeeks.com/forums/index.php?topic=2430.msg17689#msg17689

I wanted there to be a more recent thread about this topic. However, I understand that this is an expensive feature, but I hope that someday this becomes available.

The reason I'm bringing it up again is because this issue interrupted two games in a row. The first was when my friends Pharmacon and Emineezer were disconnected (they had hiccup in their connection). The second was when I had a hiccup in my connection. We know they were hiccups because we were talking on Discord and did not experience any noticeable interruption to our conversation.

I had switched to my mobile hotspot, as well, which has a more consistent and sustainable connection; compared to my DSL connection.

Luckily it's Fury Friday, so it's not that disruptive, but it did also happen once earlier this week (to my friend Emineezer). The longer wait time was frustrating because we don't play games very often.

I am excited for any information or updates the dev team and/or other community members have on this topic.

[/font]

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
Re: Rejoining in Multiplayer Games after AI takes player spot
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 02:37:09 AM »
When your internet connection is disrupted (e.g. because your router has a short hiccup) the game tries to reconnect you via Steam within the first 30 (I think it was 30?) seconds before you will be replaced by the A.I.

While this "reconnection" tries to get your data back into sync with the other players the game stops and everybody has to wait for you to reconnect. If you don't put a 'timer" to this reconnection the game would enter pause until the reconnection is successful, which means an end for everybody unlucky enough to play with someone whose connection is just broken or who decides NOT to join again and turns his computer off.

Building a reconnection-feature into Armello that allows to leave, be replaced by an AI and re-enter the game again at will is something COMPLETLY different and will need a totally different structure and lots of coding. Thats why a lot of smaller publishers wont end up with something like that in their games, and I think LoG wont build something like that either.
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Rejoining in Multiplayer Games after AI takes player spot
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »
We'd love to get reconnection in one day but at the moment it just can't happen. We'll keep making improvements where we can though! Hope you have better luck in the future with it.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy