Author Topic: Commendations  (Read 400 times)

KaijuCorgi

• Backer
    • View Profile
Commendations
« on: October 20, 2017, 06:34:19 PM »
First off, I haven't been on the forums recently and while I did a quick search I may have missed this discussion. It seems like an obvious complaint, hence that preface   ;D

It's a huge bummer when someone doesn't give a commendation. I'm not a fan of the system, but I always give my commendation, even if everyone played poorly, or everyone played fabulously. Or if I'm cranky. Or I think I deserve all the stars. I still give one! Because we live in a civil society! But clearly not everyone agrees. So please, LoG friends, find a way to punish those individuals severely  encourage everyone to always give out a commendation, even if they  don't wanna. Perhaps if they decline to give props, the missing commendation goes to the winner. Maybe it's assigned randomly (but never, of course, to the person who failed to award it). Maybe everyone who gave a commendation gets a second one, for being neighborly, and the person who didn't is docked a star in their level progression. I like that one the best, personally. Those who had to suffer through a game with the individual are rewarded (there is an almost 100% correlation between people who don't play nice and people who don't give commendations), and the refuser sees the immediate consequences of their life choices.

I don't care for commendations because it relies on random internet strangers to be nice, somewhat rational, and generous, often in the face of loss, and in my experience that's too big an ask for many. But if we're gonna do it, let's not make it easy on folks who insist on being selfish {redacted} about it.

LunarFrost

• I'm just here, you're welcome to say hi.
    • View Profile
Re: Commendations
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
It's a huge bummer when someone doesn't give a commendation.

I don't care for commendations...

Something's up with that statement.

I don't think anyone should be forced to give a commendation. Commendations is something a player gives another out of respect and if you're forcing someone to do that, then it take the whole point out of the system.

Personally, I give commendations to those who played well and I wouldn't mind playing with again. For example, If I lose a king fight and DKO, I don't give the commendation to the winner because they didn't win of their own skill, they won because I messed up, or the more likely reason: I got unlucky.

However, if someone were to legitimately stop me from winning the game with actual strategy instead of just spamming, then that would warrant a commendation.

Players shouldn't be punished. Their commendation shouldn't be forced given as it takes away what the system is about, and if everyone gets 1 commendation, then that would be a massive exploit in the system as players could farm levels even faster.
I'm the guy that genuinely looks forward to change and when nothing changes, I worry.

I also like reasonable debates.

KaijuCorgi

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Commendations
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
It's a huge bummer when someone doesn't give a commendation.

I don't care for commendations...

Something's up with that statement.

I don't think anyone should be forced to give a commendation. Commendations is something a player gives another out of respect and if you're forcing someone to do that, then it take the whole point out of the system.

Personally, I give commendations to those who played well and I wouldn't mind playing with again. For example, If I lose a king fight and DKO, I don't give the commendation to the winner because they didn't win of their own skill, they won because I messed up, or the more likely reason: I got unlucky.

However, if someone were to legitimately stop me from winning the game with actual strategy instead of just spamming, then that would warrant a commendation.

Players shouldn't be punished. Their commendation shouldn't be forced given as it takes away what the system is about, and if everyone gets 1 commendation, then that would be a massive exploit in the system as players could farm levels even faster.

Fair enough, as I said I don't care for the system. But, if it's going to forced upon us and influences leveling, then I vastly prefer everyone play along in good faith. Personally it's a very rare game where I don't think anyone deserves a little "hey good job!". So I've almost never had an issue finding someone to give a commendation to. It feels quite selfish to me to withhold that star, it costs you nothing. Assuming the game wasn't some bizarre outlier where we all played abysmally, or everyone was a complete jerk and undeserving of even the most conciliatory gesture, it's hard not to see those who refuse to give commendations as sore winners or losers. That's unfair, perhaps, not having having access to anyone's decision making process, but it's my experience/impression and it's not a unique one.