Author Topic: Moderators and the Forums!  (Read 5576 times)

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Moderators and the Forums!
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »
Hey everyone!

We've been moderating the forums on our own since they started but with about 2.5k backers that could roll in here when the beta hits, we're gonna need some help. So...

I'm proud to announce that forum backbone 8BitProxy is our first external moderator here on the LoG Forums.  We've got him on probation for the first month, so if you have any concerns about the way he's modding, do let us know. However, I'm very confident that 8BP is a super good fit for this role and that he'll not only help make the forums as awesome as they can be, but a more enjoyable, pleasant and useful place for all of us.

So... who's next? If you're keen on being a forum moderator, especially if you live in other parts of the world and have forum mod experience (even better if it's with SMF!), we'd love to hear from you! Reply below and put your name in the hat!

Some of you have asked what's required of a mod on these forums. In terms of what's required, there's no minimum hours, etc, we just expect you to...
  • ...be present in the forums so that you can be another set of eyes and ears.
  • ...have a firm concept of the type of environment we're trying to foster here and support us in that endeavour.
  • ...handle your new found responsibility with the respect it deserves.
  • ...increase the benefit and usefulness of the forums for all users.
  • ...ensure it's a safe space for all of our community.
Bonuses to those in timezones we don't have covered, have experience moderating before (especially with SMF 2.0+) and are a respected member of the community already.

In the meantime, please welcome 8BitProxy as we move into this exciting new period where the forums hopefully become better than ever, as we put them more and more in your hands.

Goddammit I love you all so much. <3

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:18:02 AM by Trent Kusters »

Xiander

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Moderators and the Forums!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:53:22 PM »
I am interested, but I have some questions.

What exactly does it entail to be a moderator?
How much time would one be expected to use on the task?

Sinse I am on the forum constantly anyways and live in Denmark, I do think I'm a nice fit for the job though.  ;)
In the interest of not putting anyone off their appetites... I hid the bodies elsewhere.

Agog to be the 3,579th wizard on BackerKit for Armello

DeeOH

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »
Congrats 8Bit. I also agree he's a very good fit for the job.
Either, either, neither.

Xiander

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »
Congrats 8Bit. I also agree he's a very good fit for the job.

Gawd, where are my manners?

Congratulations 8bit  :)
In the interest of not putting anyone off their appetites... I hid the bodies elsewhere.

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »
Congratulations, 8Bit.  You've been trying to encourage participation the entire time anyway, so it makes sense that they'd make it official!

donleong94

• Backer
  • Be the best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:19:09 PM »
Congraz to 8BP!!! :D
Hope you can do well in the future!
===Feel free to add me===

[Do the best or else you will regret for doing nothing]

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 12:39:17 AM »
Aw thanks guys :) so happy for the warm reception! ill do my best and try not to make a fool of myself :) All the best everyone!

Xiander

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:44:54 AM »
Aw thanks guys :) so happy for the warm reception! ill do my best and try not to make a fool of myself :) All the best everyone!

Judging you by the posts i've seen this far, you'll do just fine.

DeeOH

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:49:49 AM »
Isn't 8Bit the forum itself?
Either, either, neither.

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 02:17:17 AM »
Wooo! Congrats and great pick guys.

TheSpectralWolf

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 04:36:55 AM »
I'm moderately sure 8bit will be able to moderate these forums effectively in the appropriate moderation required now and in the future.  Seriously though, I think you'll do just fine 8bit.

I am interested, but I have some questions.

What exactly does it entail to be a moderator?
How much time would one be expected to use on the task?
I second all of this!

I may just mostly lurk but I'm interested in helping out in the future if possible.
According to long lost articles about the development of the game, the original working title for Armello was actually Murphy's Law: The Digital Board Game.*
*Actual articles not guaranteed to exist.

LeitonGrey

• Backer
  • I strike from the shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 06:53:06 AM »
If you don't mind, I'd like to put my name in consideration for being a future moderator.

Obviously, I don't post as much as someone like 8bit. I try to only post when I have something useful to add to a situation, that someone else hasn't already added. However, I browse the forums multiple times per day, and read just about every thread. The latest batch of threads, namely the bug threads, I have not been reading, simply due to time constraints.

I've moderated/run a few forums, one of which (thefurryforum.com) runs under the same forum code as this one. This site, however, is far simpler to moderate, due to much less content (though I know that may change in the future). Another forum that I personally ran, only lasted for a matter of 5-6 months. It was for a steam group, and I was unable to manage all of the servers and group activities due to life circumstances, so I sold the servers to someone and handed over the forum passwords. The forum, as far as I am aware, has all but died in the year since I've been gone. There was another ooold Redwall-based roleplaying forum that I moderated, but it has long since died, and I cannot recall the name of the site (I was on multiple Redwallian sites, just about all of which have died).

I apologize if my actual posting habits are unsatisfactory for a moderator, but I am a firm believer in "Quality over Quantity."

As for saying a little about myself personally, I am 21, I live in Boston, Massachusetts (U.S.), and I work a 9-hour morning shift Monday-Friday at a corporate-catering, Kosher cafe. I am fairly laid back, and tend to go with the flow. Even if someone irritates or upsets me, I'm not the kind of person who lashes out or starts boo-hoo'ing all over the forum. I am also perfectly aware of the kind of flack that moderators can receive, and know perfectly well how to handle it. English is my only language, unfortunately, but as you can see I speak/type it fluently.

My typical online times are 4PM - 10:30PM EST on weekdays, and 9AM - 12AM EST on weekends. As I mentioned earlier, I check the forums multiple times per day, and read any thread that isn't a "bugs" thread. I am a Bandit backer, so I cannot play the game to test for bugs myself yet, so I have no possible input on that type of thread.

Also, all of the forums I have moderated/run in the past had the moderators give each other some form of quick communication with the rest of the moderators. For the most part, this meant adding each other on Skype and/or Steam. If you aren't already doing this, I would suggest it. It is far more useful than you might think.

Feel free to send me a message, email, or anything really, if you feel like we need another moderator or two. I would be more than happy to help ^^
Taste of my disease
Twitch Art

Trent Kusters

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 10:00:47 AM »
Isn't 8Bit the forum itself?

Ahahaha!

Trent Kusters

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »
Thanks to those of you that have put your hands up to be moderators. I've updated the original post with some more info on what we're looking for in mods.

Just as an FYI, because this is a new thing for us, we'll probably wait until the end of 8BP's probation before we bring anyone else on, but keep the expressions of interest coming, as this will be where I come to choose our next mods when the time comes.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:19:01 AM by Trent Kusters »

Xiander

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
Well given your answers in the original post, you can put my name in the hat.

I don't have any real moderator experience, but I have a lot of experience with forums in genereal. These forums are among the nicest places I have seen online, and I would love to lend a hand in keeping in that way.