Author Topic: Follower Idea: Librarian  (Read 336 times)

Chariot Rider

• View Profile
Follower Idea: Librarian
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »
With all of the archiving I have been doing  lately I began spinning around ideas for a librarian for Armello.  This is what I currently have.

Librarian
Type: Follower
Symbol: Moon
Cost: 0
Ability:  Once per turn when drawing cards you may chose to discard a card you drew and draw another card.
Alternate ability: When drawing a card from the item deck, you have a small chance of drawing a treasure
Image:  a picture of an older mole wearing glasses, reading a dusty anchoring tome.
Quote:  Perhaps the wisdom you seek is hidden away in our archives.
Some people think chivalry is dead but I think it just has a really bad cold

Biologist

• View Profile
Re: Follower Idea: Librarian
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 01:47:56 AM »
I like the concept. I feel like a librarian would be more likely to let you cycle a card from the spell deck rather than the item deck, but I think people would complain that the effect is too strong then.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
Heyo Chariot, interesting suggestion! A general rule we have is that followers shouldn't require extra UI elements, which an option of a discard would require.

I like the idea of a follower that discards though! Very interesting.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Chariot Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 04:18:25 AM »
Perhaps this would be a suitable replacement that would not require a UI change.

Ability: +1 spirit if your hand has more spells than any other card type.  +1 wit if your hand has more treachery cards than any other card type.  +1 fight if your hand has more items than any other card type.  If there is a tie no bonus is awarded.

The librarian still retains the general concept of hand manipulation, though that burden is now on the player to either play or burn the cards in an attempt to get the stat they need, leading to some interesting choices that must be made.
Some people think chivalry is dead but I think it just has a really bad cold

Kikkaha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 12:06:07 AM »
I'm librarian ^^
So i like the concept.

But i think, it could be limited only for spell card
A librarian couldn't change your item, or your cunning

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 04:53:18 PM »
Heh... I'm kind of thinking along the terms of Magic the Gathering, but how about:

Librarian
Follower
Symbol: Moon
Ability: Your hand size limit becomes 8. You still only draw up to your Wits each turn.

Effectively, you can still only draw X=Wits number of cards per turn. However, if at the start of your next turn, you can draw X again, up to a maximum of 8 cards. It seems pretty weak at first, but being able to hold cards beyond your Wits limit would be incredible for fight-based characters. Librarian would also considerably dampen the pain of 'dead draws'.

Teii

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 12:21:32 AM »
Heyo Chariot, interesting suggestion! A general rule we have is that followers shouldn't require extra UI elements, which an option of a discard would require.

I like the idea of a follower that discards though! Very interesting.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Why not a follower that discards the bottom card of your hand at the end of your turn?  As far as I understand it, removing choice from the matter should eliminate the need for new UI.  The fact that players can rearrange their hands isn't really leveraged by anything in the game outside of maybe trying to play mind games with the other players.  Depending on how good you want the card to be, you could give it +1 wits too without necessarily making it too boring.  The game could use a few more followers like the berserker that can be good but have forced effects that aren't always beneficial.

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »
It's an interesting one Teii! We've had the same thoughts about a similar card but it's a fairly unique mechanic that we don't know if we want to pursue. How people order their cards can be a personal affair, like how much vegemite you put on your toast.

Maybe one day!

<3

Punktepfuscher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 11:39:01 PM »
This is too complex. It would be enough, if the librarian allows you to pick one or two cards more, when your turn begins. Without increasing your attribute's value, so it doesn't help against perils.
If you want another kind of benefit... he could only give you +1 card, but also gives you a random card for free instantly, whenever you lose a card/ cards from your stock (King's declaration/ card-stealing perils).