Author Topic: Snake venom and poisoned dagger abilities are never used  (Read 715 times)

Sim

• View Profile
Snake venom and poisoned dagger abilities are never used
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:06:12 AM »
Hello there,

I'd be glad to one day see a rework of these two cards because in all the hundred games I played , I've yet to see a single use of theses cards effect.

The conditions to trigger the poisonous effect is a bit too heavy imoh  (though since the 1.9 it could be more useful to a corrputed hero). It reminds me of the old version of "Chainmail Shirt" where you had to discard a shield to trigger the effect.

And the second point is that even when if you can afford the trigger, giving poison to rolled swords only makes it very unlikely to reach the goal of poison hits: you need to roll swords AND you need these swords to be high enough in your attack stack to deal the poison.
The cost is too much for such low chances so it makes sense no one ever try to use these cards.

Cheers and gratz for the 1.9 update, since then I've been able to pull way more rot victories , the new balance is awesome.

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
Re: Snake venom and poisoned dagger abilities are never used
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:29:17 PM »
The only way poison works is with the trident...which grants 3 poisoned swords from the beginning.

I was very excited when I first saw the poison dagger, thinking it would "naturally" land in the front of the stack...realizing that most of the times poison doesn't make any difference. Either you land enough hitpoints to outright kill your opponent or the poison won't come through to him...and he will survive your attack unpoisoned.

There have been many-a-thread about this...so I think it is unlikely the Devs will ever change it. I think Kletian did a very good job in summarizing the problems with poison when the stack order was changed.
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 05:01:18 AM »
Yep. Snake Venom was fine back in its original incarnation. At the time, it was a consumable that turned your first rolled Rot symbol into a Poison hit. Admittedly, it was used more to insure fewer missed dice in combat than for it's poison effect. Which, honest, I thought was fine. It gave the card some versatility.

In its current form, it's pretty awful. You have to
A) pay gold to consume the card
B) pay a specific card symbol that will (usually) reduce the number of dice you roll by 1.
C) then hope you roll swords with your decreased number of dice, then hope one of those hits wasn't blocked by a shield or outright kill the enemy.

Effectively, Snake Venom asks you for a large cost while giving you an extremely unreliable benefit. The case is similar with Poison Dagger, although that card has never really been very good.

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
There have been many-a-thread about this...so I think it is unlikely the Devs will ever change it. I think Kletian did a very good job in summarizing the problems with poison when the stack order was changed.

That's not true! We always have so many plates spinning at any given time y'know - it's hard to prioritise even the things we want to do. It'd be rad to do a huge card balance pass one of these days.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 05:31:31 PM »

That's not true! We always have so many plates spinning at any given time y'know - it's hard to prioritise even the things we want to do. It'd be rad to do a huge card balance pass one of these days.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Great to hear that! It is a pity poison is so under value since you just cant really use some of these cards. I always loved the idea of adding other ways to kill opponents than with brutal force- and poison adds up a lot to the flavour of Armello.
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

Wessolf27

• Armellian Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 12:34:42 PM »
Concerning the idea of poison, and not really wanting to make a new thread for something similar, would it be possible (if somewhat unlikely) for Poison to be something like this:

When using Poison die, there is a small (somewhere between 10%-20%) chance for the die to pierce shields (not unlike a dagger being able to find a gap in the armor)

This way, even when the poison die is gained through equipment or burns, and even when facing an enemy that rolls a lot of shields/wears a lot of armor, there's always a chance for the poison to affect them. Of course, reflect die will still negate poison die.

As an addendum to this, it means that Poison die become more effective when there are multiple dice. Equipment like the Reaper's Trident becomes very useful in dealing these sorts of damage even if you're not Sylas, and Poison Daggers and Snake Venom can change their abilities in order to have a chance to have more than one die's worth of poison.

Heck this also means that Heroes that specialize in Poison become very viable, having special abilities that might either increase the chance of the pierce effect to work, or increase the potency of the poison.

Alternatively, that pierce effect could also be used as an incentive for Rot players, in that considering most Poison-related items and spells are already Rot-related, it could mean that Rot players will be more effective in using Poisons compared to players who don't have a high Corruption.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:42:07 PM by Wessolf27 »
Re-probus: A Story of Ferals

Omegaupdate Forums | Eagle Time Forums