Author Topic: Bandit Ring Suggestions.  (Read 444 times)

LunarFrost

• I'm just here, you're welcome to say hi.
    • View Profile
Bandit Ring Suggestions.
« on: August 28, 2017, 08:29:27 AM »
So, I got together with Mister UPS Man and thought about some ideas for Bandit Rings.

We did this because we are both under the impression that the Bandit Clan shouldn't have rings from other clans and instead should have their own unique rings and since we both thought that, we should at the very least come up with ideas.

Here's what we came up with.

(The Rings don't have names as we mainly focused on the ability rather then the name.)

Ring01- Spy Network-like Scout on all King's Guards.
Meant to give bandits a good idea of how the board is laid out.

Ring02- 1 Prestige gained = +1 Gold. (Saw the Ring Idea from Wessolf.)
Gold generation for the bandits.

Ring03- Gain +1 Health entering Settlements.
Allows the Bandits to regain more health overtime.

Ring04- Gain the ability to burn after burning all dice.
To give the bandit's stronger card cycling.

Serendibite - +1 Sword in battle and perils when you have a bounty.*
To give the bandits a good way to pass perils and to help in battle a bit.

*This effect cannot exist while Sylas has his current ability.

Thoughts?
I'm the guy that genuinely looks forward to change and when nothing changes, I worry.

I also like reasonable debates.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Bandit Ring Suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »
Ring 1-  I'm pretty sure no one takes the scout rings period.  Guards would be more useful than most other sources of free scout, granted...

Ring 2.  This basically becomes "Amethyst" for trickery, but in many ways is much more devastating, since instead of burning to activate you can just trigger off using the cards that are paying for themselves.  What would happen with prestige gear?

Ring 3- Certainly better than removing rot from waking up in Stone circles.

Ring 4- So this would really only benefit Twiss since few heroes burn list exceeds their fight dice- and only when she attacks without evading.  Not good to be so pigeonholed.

Ring S- So what are you going to change Sylas's power to?  There's nothing wrong with old Serendibite as is much for fair for free gold compared to Wessolf's idea.

All in all, I don't support the original premise that the Bandits need unique rings.   I certainly don't feel any are as good as what they'd replace other than the broken good Gold for prestige, which I feel lacks the finesse of card management that Amethyst offers.   

2 of the bandits are low wits, so the focus on money and burns in these rings feels really off.  Nothing is catering to magic builds of Scarlet or Twiss. 

Sorry to be harsh in my criticism, I just didn't like the idea as presented.

LunarFrost

• I'm just here, you're welcome to say hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 02:29:33 PM »
Ring 1-  I'm pretty sure no one takes the scout rings period.  Guards would be more useful than most other sources of free scout, granted...

Ring 2.  This basically becomes "Amethyst" for trickery, but in many ways is much more devastating, since instead of burning to activate you can just trigger off using the cards that are paying for themselves.  What would happen with prestige gear?

Ring 3- Certainly better than removing rot from waking up in Stone circles.

Ring 4- So this would really only benefit Twiss since few heroes burn list exceeds their fight dice- and only when she attacks without evading.  Not good to be so pigeonholed.

Ring S- So what are you going to change Sylas's power to?  There's nothing wrong with old Serendibite as is much for fair for free gold compared to Wessolf's idea.

All in all, I don't support the original premise that the Bandits need unique rings.   I certainly don't feel any are as good as what they'd replace other than the broken good Gold for prestige, which I feel lacks the finesse of card management that Amethyst offers.   

2 of the bandits are low wits, so the focus on money and burns in these rings feels really off.  Nothing is catering to magic builds of Scarlet or Twiss. 

Sorry to be harsh in my criticism, I just didn't like the idea as presented.

Ring01 -  The reason no one picks scout rings is because there is only 1 scout ring in-game ; obsidian. The ring only works at night on settlements you own and if you see someone near your settlement at night, they'll probably take it meaning your ring just stopped working. Having Scout active at king's guards at all times means you'll have a lot of info that other players won't. Quest, Perils and even locations of other Heroes. And since guards are really strong right now, you won't have worry about having scout only on the palace guard.

Ring02- Umm, this ring is nothing like Amethyst. Every time you gain a prestige, you gain 1 gold. Pretty simple idea that would work. And yes, you would get gold from items giving you prestige meaning Feathered Helm only cost 2, Bubble Tea cost nothing, Royal Banner would give you 3 gold, and Game of Thorns would could 5-3 gold on use. This isn't devastating, it's just gold generation.

Ring03 - Allowing another source of healing to be on the board is really strong, especially since people tend to go towards settlements anyway. This also mean corrupted bandits have a source of outside healing that isn't killing stuff.

Ring04- This works in both battles and perils, so if you would want to cycle cards, this would allow you to do it much faster since you don't actually have a limit, and cycling cards is always a good thing.

Serendibite- I don't have an idea of what Sylas's hero power should be, but what I do know that it's really strong and should be changed. This change to Serendibite means that the other bandits can use it too, not just Sylas. And yes there is plenty wrong with current Serendibite. It's a pure combat based ring that only works for 1 character, and the ring only procs when Sylas kills a Guard, but currently Guards are really strong, so Sylas usually gets punished hard for attacking one of them ; that +1 gold and no prestige loss isn't worth it.
If a bandit wants gold, then they should uses Pink Topaz currently.

And Amethyst doesn't have card management. If you burn a card, you get magic. Simple as that. Deciding when to burn the card isn't really card management, but more so resource management...which Twiss exploits to ever living extremes.

And you say that all these ring overall focus on Gold and Burns...um, no. Did you read them all?
1 Health Ring
1 Gold Ring
1 Card Cycling Ring
1 Scout Ring
1 Combat & Peril Ring

I didn't give them an overall focus on any type of ring.

"2 of the bandits are low wits, so the focus on money and burns in these rings feels really off. "

Low Wits kinda works well with the burn ring and money doesn't have a correlation to low wits...

And to inform you, scout is really useful for magic builds as that allows the caster to see where the target is if they are stealthed, but I didn't give them any direct magic rings. Mainly because of Twiss and fearing her overall potential with free magic.

I'm the guy that genuinely looks forward to change and when nothing changes, I worry.

I also like reasonable debates.

Shrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »
I think that card cycling ring is a bit overpowered, because we can burn all of our card, be it miss or not. We could exceed the amount of non missing burn limited by fight stat (Imagine we have a Berserker, Shimmer Shield, low fight but huge wits. An unfairness, in my opinion)

What about this alternative?

"In battle and peril, first two missing burns don't cost die" This way, both low wits and high wits bandits can burn unnecessary cards without one side being overpowered.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:41:38 PM by Shrapnel »

Wessolf27

• Armellian Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:14:44 PM »
As much as I'm flattered about being inspiration for the suggestion, I do admit that after some time I've had some second thoughts on the Lodestone Ring (aka the ring that gives 1 gold per gained prestige) precisely because some cards do essentially pay themselves when you play them using the card. Bubble Tea and King's Scepter especially.

I admit though that the most apparent user of this ring would be Scarlet, especially if she's banking on ranking up prestige from nabbing traitors and banes on settlements. But considering just how much gold you get from defeating a traitor, it means that you'll be swimming in a significant amount of gold afterwards, making the ring sorta redundant in the current game as it is. Though tbh, any bandit would merit from it significantly.

As much as it's technically a good idea, I do admit it's a little too powerful considering the way the game's played right now. And you have to consider that the idea was given during a time when we didn't have the current bounty system.

If you do want the coin-gaining effect to remain in the ring, I suggest you look at the revised version of what I had written in the old thread:

Lodestone: Gain +1 gold whenever you enter a settlement. (Admittedly, still mildly abuseable, but it's basically a guaranteed +1 coin roll from a dungeon. And at most you'd get +2 coin every day/night, discounting other sources of gold.)

Also, "Cat's Eye" or "Tiger's Eye" should definitely be the name of the Scouting Ring.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:30:04 PM by Wessolf27 »
Re-probus: A Story of Ferals

Omegaupdate Forums | Eagle Time Forums

Teii

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 05:35:29 AM »
Ring1-  I do think there should be more scout in the game and obsidian has a lot of issues that this ring avoids.  However, it goes to the other extreme where it's just multiple free, passive, moving scout effects for the whole game.  Some kind of condition or limit would be appropriate.  Maybe something like you need to not have a bounty or it only works on the two closest guards.

ring 2- I think prestige flows too freely and easily to gain 1 gold for each point of prestige.  Much like ring 1, this ring would essentially be passive and mindless.  Sure, there are games where I barely gain any prestige, but it's still rarely something you need to try to acquire. Not to mention, I'm not sure it fits the bandit clan thematically.  Is the logic behind the ring something like being a more renowned bandit allows them to extort money easier?  If that's the case, I'd suggest something more like +1 gold at dusk while at or above 3 or 4 prestige.

ring 3- I see no issues with that ring.  It would be kinda like picking grow as a ring, which is much more attractive than in an amulet slot.

ring 4- This is an interesting idea.  I can't think of anything wrong with it in terms of being too strong or easy to use.  I'd probably never use it personally, but I see no reason why it would be bad for the game.

Serendibite- A sword in perils would probably be too strong.  We're talking about something that's arguably even better for perils than sunstone because you could breach the wits palace perils extremely easily and swords are pretty much just as common as suns for normal perils.  It would be objectively better for combat just because it works day and night.  I'd just make the ring a sword in combat.  That alone is competitive compared to aquamarine, ruby, sunstone and rubellite.

Regarding Sylas, the ring itself, +1 sword while having a bounty, would be a very fair and reasonable change to his power.  Compare that to River's power and they're more or less equal in terms of strength.  Both would be resource free combat powers with a 1 damage limit.  Sylas' isn't always active but it would be objectively better in most situations when it is.  It would work on defense, against targets with stealth and help him push his opponent or stand his ground.  It also would be more likely to save him ap than waste it compared to River.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
I mean, they’re Bandits. It kind of makes sense that they would steal signet rings from the other clans. But if they DID get their own set, or maybe even a choice for a sixth ring, these ideas could really pan out.

Ring 01 - This is a really cool effect and it seems like a natural fit for Horace. My only concern is just how very much scouting this would give a player across the map. There can sometimes be 4~5 Kings Guards on the board, granting you vision of something like 20 hexes, some of which include the Palace. As is, Ring01 might be a little overpowered.

Ring 02 - Not bad. TProbably best suited to Scarlet and Horace. The only suggestion would be make it a +1 for any amount of Prestige gain, instead of +1/per prestige. That way, it’s a minor boon and fits with the other signets.

Ring 03 - Also, not bad. It would be pretty cool to have a reliable way to regain health, outside of spirit circles. I’d definitely advocate for this one!

Ring 04 - Weird. I mean, I see the use of it, especially on Twiss. Might be worth a try.

Serendibite - A guaranteed Sword in combat and perils sounds pretty good. It would even be analogous to Sunstone and Aquamarine. I’d advocate for this one as well, but you have to come to terms with the fact Sylas will be able to choose it. If, for no other reason, it is incredibly finicky to balance something by saying “X specific character cannot choose this”. :\

Shrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »
I'm against this Serendibite. Entering the palace automatically give us a bounty, coupled with Resist, it'd make palace breaching super easy. While Rabbits and Bears have to choose between wit and spirit perils if they're equipped with Sunstone or Aquamarine with Resist. This ring also immune to dawn/dusk limitation, which gives a headache to anyone who wants to attack the bandit inside.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:04:32 PM by Shrapnel »

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
GOOD THREAD! I've sent this one through to the team.

<3