Author Topic: Armello Tabletop RPG  (Read 401 times)

tiburon5

• View Profile
Armello Tabletop RPG
« on: August 05, 2017, 11:31:27 AM »
I've played Armello pretty much since it was released on Steam.  The game is amazing and the lore is great.  Since very early on, I've thought about how cool it would be to have a tabletop RPG where players could really explore the world of Armello.  With Armello's "board game" style gameplay, it's hard to really grasp the world itself.  You never really talk with inhabitants aside from them handing you three quest cards then getting a little flavor text back when you complete or fail that quest.  Well, I wanted to experience the world myself so in the past week or so, I've delved within my brain to find some way to transfer this world into a tabletop RPG.  There was another attempt at this in the past but it didn't seem to have gone anywhere and suffered from attempting to directly take Armello's board game mechanics and apply them to an RPG.  Anyone who is even passingly familiar with Armello will notice that many of the mechanics and even some of the lore have suffered from artistic liberties.  It is a sad fact but Armello simply just was not built for this medium, so I had to fill in gaps and change some things that just didn't really seem to fit.  Thus Armello was simply the inspiration behind this game rather than being directly translated.  If any of the developers of Armello are offended by this, I am truly sorry about it.
Quick disclaimer before I give you all the ruleset I came up with: I am not associated with League of Geeks, Armello, or any affiliates of either.  This was done as a fan tribute and is not intended to monetarily benefit me or anyone else in any way, shape, or form.  I do not believe I have violated any of the copyrights of League of Geeks or Armello, but I am not fluent in legalise, if I have missed something, please inform me.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VlkHI7D1ZBQDsT5pSNN4eI5n11qR_qDroYIgeygv1OA/edit?usp=sharing

A couple of notes, if any of the developers of Armello like this game I would absolutely love to collaborate to make this game a true Armello tabletop RPG.
Additionally, one thing that the game is currently lacking heavily is Perks.  At the time of posting this, there are only 9 Perks, but I would really like to have at least 15 if I can manage it.  If anyone reading this has ideas for Perks, I can't promise they will make it into the ruleset but I would love the inspiration.  Perks should be altogether different from other Perks, the rule of thumb that I have so far used is that any 2 characters who have different Perks should always feel like they play differently from each other no matter how similar they are otherwise.
I can take criticism like a champ but please try to be constructive :)

Sivrel

• View Profile
Re: Armello Tabletop RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »
An Armello tabletop RPG seems to be a popular idea... I just used the Ironclaw system by Sanguine Studio...

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 05:04:30 PM »
Heyo tiburon5, thanks so much for hitting us up and I'm glad that we could inspire you to make some rad stuff! Of course we are cool with this stuff, we're fine with people exploring our IP and home-brewing as they like. We only take issue with folks that attempt to profit from Armello content without our consent.

I've shared your rules with the team for them to take a look at.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

tiburon5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 06:47:22 AM »
Just thought I'd give a little more information on the game.  A few days ago I successfully completed the first playtest!  We played on Roll20 through text, giving me the ability to go back and reread it all.  The players seemed to really enjoy the system.  A few changes came about from it, the most major being that melee weaponry now is based on it's size, and will not be handled by making specific weapons.  This system is meant to be relatively light on rules and having to make different rules for every different weapon someone can think of just seemed to weigh down the gameplay.  Now there's simply 4 classes of melee weaponry which players assign to the weapon they imagine: Small, Medium, Large, and Huge.  One of the best points of Armello is that each of the characters has their own relatively unique weapon, such as Zosha's blade staff and Amber's umbrella sword.  I think this helps emulate that by only really limiting weapon choice to that of the player's imagination.  A good point to note is that ranged weapons are still always bows, there is no evidence so far that Armello has crossbows or anything similar.
One thing that really seemed to spark my players' interest is nearly every single roll in this game is contested, meaning it's very hard to tell if you have actually succeeded at a roll until you either are told you succeed or you see the contested roll.  That keeps players on their toes and there never really is a moment of relaxation that happens in other games when you figure out just how high you need to roll to beat your enemy.
If anyone else plays out a scenario with this, please let me know how it went, I want to refine this game to be as fun as it can possibly be, and if I just play it with my friends, we'll just be refining it to what we want.  A wide audience is very much appreciated.  Have fun!

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 04:12:10 PM »
Sharpshooter wields a Crossbow.  Dueling pistols were also created by a rogue rabbit inventor.

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »
Sharpshooter wields a Crossbow.  Dueling pistols were also created by a rogue rabbit inventor.

Kletian speaks the truth!

tiburon5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 05:50:03 PM »
Ah! You are correct! I was working too fast and didn't look at every single card. I was only thinking of the hero weapons. I shall right this wrong post haste!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:04:25 PM by tiburon5 »

tiburon5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 06:03:57 PM »
The mistake has been corrected. Hopefully there are no more glaring errors like that haha  sweatdrop

Sivrel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »
Ah! You are correct! I was working too fast and didn't look at every single card. I was only thinking of the hero weapons. I shall right this wrong post haste!

Also, in Mercurio's alternate skin he has a pistol in one hand. :P