Would like to punish death in Armello?

Yes.
1 (7.7%)
No.
11 (84.6%)
More suffering! More!
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Let's punish death! Injury system.  (Read 885 times)

Sir_Bertran

• View Profile
Let's punish death! Injury system.
« on: July 22, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »
Hello fellow Armellians!

After 300+ hours of multiplayer experience with friends,seduced to join the joyride I came up with a very important idea: game should be a little bit more punishing.

I see the issue in the situation, that most of the match time
death of the hero is a regular thing. Sometimes, player even go suicide to become closer to the quest or for any other reason.

Usually, death as a thread appears only in the late game, or when the quest in on the far side of the map.

And that isn't right from my point of view. Life is precious gift for any living creature, so we need to force player to respect it.

So would like to suggest a new game mechanic - injury system.

Whenever character dies - minus one to body - injured. Except for death from the corrupted creatures, to not affect rot mechanics.

I believe, that such punishment will make game more spicy, that is important for old players and adds some new depth to suffering in the marvelous land of Armello.

Moreover, that could be only the beginning. Just imagine, how many intriguing cards, based on and around injuries could be added to the Game:

Item:
- morningstar + 1 sword, - 1 dice, make two injuries if killed.

Magic:
- Whylde care: cure 1 injury.

Wits:
- handmade splint, prevents injuries for the end of the next turn.

And so on, and so on... so many opportunities around basic instinct of self-preservation!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:39:47 AM by Sir_Bertran »

Wessolf27

• Armellian Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: Let's punish death! Injury system.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
As much as it sounds like a good idea, I think it isn't all that fair. Usually the people who die more frequently in the game tend to be the ones already in last position. Whether by being killed by a Bane, a guard, or another hero. I do not believe it's fair to punish a player who is already struggling to catch up.

Though I believe your intentions are good, I don't believe this is an alright mechanic. Being sent back to the beginning with a prestige loss and sometimes rot gain is already kinda a big deal already.
Re-probus: A Story of Ferals

Omegaupdate Forums | Eagle Time Forums

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:10:24 PM »
I enjoy the Injury/Madness system they integrated into Arkham Horror, an adventure boardgame where you're trying to stop Cthulhu. In that game, there is always something worthwhile you can do, and you sometimes have spare time to do it. In Armello, a single death can sometimes put you so far back as to negate the gain of the last two or three turns.

In other words, death is punishing enough in Armello.

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
Death in Armello can be an advantage if it brings you back home and nearer to your next quest (Deathwarp) or resets the bounty on your head (if a guard kills you the bounty award won't be given to a competitor) or gives you +1 rot if you die to a bane (and are on the way to rot victory). These are the possible advantages of being killed in Armello.

Other than that there are a lot of disadvantages if you are killed. You lose Prestige, are stopped on your way to the next questtile, give the killing opponent +1 Prestige and possibly a bounty reward, cannot play cards from the clanground and lose your actionpoints.

If you compare these scenarios you'll see that the advantages are more situational and could be gained if you go for a suicide actively while the disadvantages mostly aren't under you control and will set you back.

Most unexperienced players will encounter the second scenario and will not be aware that the first scenario could be helpful. Being punished even harder for being killed will turn them off. I don't think adding another setback for being killed would be desirable.
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

Comaburr

• Rawr
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:01:14 AM »
I think this could definitely be implemented as a house rule.  I get the appeal and where you're coming from, but the poor Armellians are suffering enough!
Strength in spirit...

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 05:03:24 PM »
I think this is pretty harsh, which I guess it's meant to be haha. The big thing is that death is out of your hands in a lot of cases in Armello, so we need to ride a fine line with punishing.

Also we've had a few conversations about whether deathwarping is acceptable and mostly we think it is. It's an intricate quirk of the game that has a decent price in many cases. Just a few thoughts!

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:52:51 PM »
Not to mention, you can't always death warp when you want it.

CaptainRed1000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 01:38:16 AM »
As a man who dies frequently, I protest against this notion. If you die enough times with even one Rot, you will die every morning. I don't know about you, but that does seem a little too unfair, right?

Sir_Bertran

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 05:17:39 AM »
Casuals!

Well, I liked the idea to make injury system as home rules. Alrmello Souls. =)

However, it's is of course true that, usually somebody kills you. And that is the point, to make stealth more important, to play cautiously, to run healing asap and so on.

Thank you guys for your thoughts!

Sir_Bertran

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 05:19:29 AM »
P.S. My personal solution for more difficulty is to play with proper bunch of friends, that do say hello with hidden traps and mercenaries, while forging and alliance, just to attack next turn under bloodthirsty!)