Author Topic: A quick question on opening resources  (Read 2109 times)

SpiritFox

• Backer
  • All hail the Wolf Queen!
    • View Profile
A quick question on opening resources
« on: September 13, 2014, 01:29:03 PM »
Just wondering about the starting gold and hand sizes. Can't help but notice Amber and Mercurio appear to start off with  considerably more resources (6 gold, 4 cards and 5 gold, 5 cards) than the other two (Thane with 4 Gold, 3 Cards and Sana with 3 Gold, 3 Cards).

I assume there's other starting  resources that balance this out that are not yet shown on startup?
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

Combat

• Backer
  • Come on, does this look dangerous to you?!
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question on opening resources
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 04:15:20 AM »
Thane is a better fighter at the start and so rolls more attack dice, Sana has more magic available and more resistance to magic as a result

I think the idea is that they sacrifice utility in starting items and cards for the larger dice pools, in the number of games I've played I don't consider either to be more of an advantage than another, this probably comes down to personal preference in play

SpiritFox

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »
Yeah, I've been playing Thane mostly myself, but Sana's capabilities are just as dependent on cards aren't they? Of course, I've only tried her out once so I probably don't have a very clear idea about how her power works vs. the others.

You said that having more magic increases magic resistance? How does that work? I'm still fumbling around with the mechanics myself.

Combat

• Backer
  • Come on, does this look dangerous to you?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:47:39 AM »
My understanding is that when it comes to resisting spells cast you roll from your spirit pool, as she has more dice in it than the other characters it will make her stronger in these sorts of checks, I think spells such as the one that makes you lose 2 cards from your hand is the sort of even she's stronger at resisting

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 04:57:30 AM »
On the other hand, Mercurio is best at avoiding treachery perils.  Just wanted to make sure that distinction was clear - magic perils are opposed by Spirit, but treachery is opposed by Wits.

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:38:40 AM »
I got completely owned in my first play as Mercurio. While he can hold a lot of cards, it was pretty hard for me to have anywhere near enough gold or magic to use most of them.

SpiritFox

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:24:45 AM »
I've been getting spanked as Amber and Mercurio. And Sana.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »
I got completely owned in my first play as Mercurio. While he can hold a lot of cards, it was pretty hard for me to have anywhere near enough gold or magic to use most of them.

Same thing happened to me! And then along came Amber or Thane and killed me instantly :( haha.

TinBane

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 03:35:45 AM »
General suggestion starting with mercurio.

Work out which cards you have, that aren't that useful. A number of trickery cards cost a bit of gold to use, and don't hinder your enemies enough (even if they fail the tests). So I sacrifice them as soon as possible, to draw more cards next turn. Some cards are quite bad, but if they can be sacrificed for a shield or a sword, its all good.

With mercurio, try and fight at night where possible.

Items I like to equip:
Royal sceptre, the set of armour, and a weapon. Last game I got the moon scythe! That is amazing on mercurio, especially if you get a few cards you can sacrifice for moons! When it says "moons explode at night", that means they act like wylds. They are a success, and they add an extra dice roll!