Author Topic: Burning the King  (Read 236 times)

Fluffhead

• View Profile
Burning the King
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:59:45 AM »
I hear a lot of talk about how you should always burn against the king because dice are bad.  He can get your misses as extra dice and it's not worth it.  I think this really depends on the scenario. 

Let's suppose you have zero rot.  Rolling a die against the king has an expected positive impact to an aggressive strategy but not so great of an impact to a defensive strategy.  What this means is that rolling dice can be better than burning if you are very secure in your ability to defend and simply need to get enough attacks to take the king out.  Plan on rolling if you have high HP and solid defensive equipment like Heavy Plate Armor etc. (which btw I would recommend not equipping until you're about to attack the king).

Otherwise you should consider burning as much as possible.  Let's suppose you're going to burn all your dice away against the king and you have zero rot.  What are your chances and what should you burn?  Since you're burning all your cards and you don't have rot working against you, the king will not get more dice and we can lock him in at 7. 

Let's take explosions into account and the king's ability to defend with wylds and look at the likelihood of the king achieving x block and y attack:

It's interesting to see this distribution, but we need to recognize that our chance of winning depends on both our ability to survive and our ability to kill the king.  Let's transform this by looking at the king's ability to achieve at most x block and y attack:

Notice the walled off area with probabilities all greater than 50%.  Let's say our goal is to have at least a 50% chance of winning against the king.  Then one of the two scenarios have to be fulfilled:

Need to (1) withstand 4 attack and have (king's HP)+4 damage to deal  OR
                   (2) withstand 5 attack and have (king's HP)+3 damage to deal

So of course it really depends on your HP and the king's HP, but you'll likely burn a few more attacks than shields especially if you have good defensive equipment.

Thanks for reading.  I hope this helps you win some games!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:19:08 AM by Fluffhead »

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Burning the King
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:47:44 PM »
WELL I wish I had this earlier. Gawd, very interesting.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy