Author Topic: Thought for more clans  (Read 544 times)

Lyhli

• Just enjoying the game!
    • View Profile
    • My page at deviantArt.com
Thought for more clans
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:08:59 AM »
The current clans of Armello have this distinct feel of being a part of the world and making up the world around them.  When the trees of the forests grew, so did the clans evolve and each shaped the other.

But what about outside clans?

Like horses, tigers, mountain goats, camels, etc.. Surely they would exist somewhere. Did Horace come from a Badger Clan? Or are there smaller tribes that aren't nearly as large or powerful as the main 4 clans of Armello?

Not to mention word of a corrupted king would likely have spread far. Would daring members of outside clans travel the great distance to try to seize Armello as their own?

I'm working on some doodles in my spare time. Currently, I have the Horse Clan the most fleshed out. In my mind, they would be very Celtic/English in culture, yet work similarly to real horse herd groups. They would have come from the plains far away, and the plains tiles in-game would attribute to certain strengths.

The two main protectors of the herd, the lead mare and lead stallion, would look very different. "Elegantly barbaric" would be a good description for their overall look I'm working towards.

The lead mare would be dressed like a Celtic goddess, with a long dress. She would be very skilled in magic use with very little physical power. I think a simple, regal look would fit her well, so I'm making her a lighter build and white in color.

In contrast, the lead stallion would be dressed in heavy warrior's gear, maybe even like a royal knight (the fabled "black knight" in histories and myth). He would have a lot of physical power and very little use for magic. I'm giving him a tower shield and lance, and basing him on the Friesian stallions used in jousting.

The other members of the herd would mostly be female (as per normal family herds), and would vary between the two extremes of magic and muscle. Since we see 3 characters of each clan so far in the game (with the exception of the Bandit Clan), I was working on the mare, stallion, and an archer-based paint mare.

Then I got to thinking about a Tiger Clan, or a Siamese Cat pair of characters. The tigers might be based out of martial arts and very Oriental in culture. The siamese cats might be considered "one character piece" in the game in regards to functionality, but visually be two characters always interacting with each other. You know, in that creepy, intriguing, telepathic twin way. XD

A Camel Clan might be interesting to see, especially if they were a little based on the biblical "three wise men" (including their gifts as the basis for their hero powers) and show some flair of Arabic culture. I see them being the most chill out of all the characters we've seen or I've envisioned so far.  Maybe they just came by because they're wanderers and wanted to see what was up.

Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear your thoughts on some other clans!

noelwym

• View Profile
Re: Thought for more clans
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:54:15 PM »
If I recall correctly, there was a statement from one of the fellows at LoG that stated that horses are unlikely to appear as sentient due to the simple problem of them having hooves. Hard to hold a sword without hands, don't you think? At least for the current roster, it's somewhat acceptable to give them usable digits, but it might be weird for cloven-foot animals. That doesn't explain the presence of the Miner and Blacksmith though.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:56:26 PM by noelwym »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:05:02 PM »
I think they only ruled out Birds as unable to be sentient in Armello for the finger reasons.  The bigger reason "there are no other clans" is because the 4 clans represent a variety of races.  There is no Badger clan, Badgers are likely under the Rat Clan.  Horses and other cloven figured would likely accept Bear protection, being as the logic outlined thus far suggests the clans correspond to Size (small/large) and Diet (Predator/Prey).

Lyhli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 05:13:29 AM »
I looked through whatever lore I could find (which is not much), and all the cards in the card gallery (I only have a few missing).

I could not find anything that alluded to more species being a part of a single clan. The only thing I could find was "families" listed under the Rat Clan's description, but that seems like a far fetch in my opinion.

As for the hooved creatures, we see quite a few in the card galleries. The most we see are pigs and goats, of which have 2-3 hooved fingers and a thumb (note: mammalian creatures vary between 3-4 fingers and a thumb) . They appear to hold items as easily as any other creature, and the number of digits is consistent throughout any other hooved creature (although some hands are obscured in shadow). The Miner, which is either a donkey or a mule, also has this same amount of digits on his hand. Both donkeys and mules are single-hooved animals. It gives me hope for more equine creatures in the future. Speaking from a developer perspective, I'd imagine a smaller amount of digits would be easier to code/animate.

I'd love to see where other Armello information is coming from. It'll help me make my fanfiction clans more accurate.  :)

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 05:37:36 AM »
Armello's lore is fragmented and not equally available to everyone currently. I think the thing about Clans including other species is the result of logical conjecture, but I can't find the discussion right now.

Also I think the Miner is a yak. Could be wrong though. Not that it makes much difference regarding the point you were making, just some trivia.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

Wessolf27

• Armellian Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »
If I recall, there already is a sort of outsider clan, one which is shared by both the Stranger and the King of Armello himself.  It is possible that there exists a Cat or Lion clan that had taken rule in Armello before the events of the game itself
Re-probus: A Story of Ferals

Omegaupdate Forums | Eagle Time Forums

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 08:38:23 PM »
Armello's lore is fragmented and not equally available to everyone currently. I think the thing about Clans including other species is the result of logical conjecture, but I can't find the discussion right now.

Also I think the Miner is a yak. Could be wrong though. Not that it makes much difference regarding the point you were making, just some trivia.

Was stated verbally during a Dev vs Community game.  I vaguely recall a dev affirming a similiar post I made months ago on this forum but I suppose I'll have to search for it.

Likewise, Dev streams have stated the King and Stranger are "Outsiders" from VERY far away, not members of any clan as recognized by Armello.  Fan posts have created "the outsider clan" to house their Original Characters which might have confused some.

Lyhli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 06:47:15 AM »

Was stated verbally during a Dev vs Community game.  I vaguely recall a dev affirming a similiar post I made months ago on this forum but I suppose I'll have to search for it.

Likewise, Dev streams have stated the King and Stranger are "Outsiders" from VERY far away, not members of any clan as recognized by Armello.  Fan posts have created "the outsider clan" to house their Original Characters which might have confused some.

Ah, got it. I didn't know lore was discussed in their streams, as I thought it was mainly gameplay. Looks like I have another stream to follow! I'm pretty new to Armello in general, so whatever lore I can dig up is likely not much compared to what's been said.

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 07:11:34 AM »
To be honest LoG's stream is less about watching the gameplay and more about chatting with the devs and laughing at their antics. It's a good opportunity to ask lore-related questions and such.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

Lyhli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »
To be honest LoG's stream is less about watching the gameplay and more about chatting with the devs and laughing at their antics. It's a good opportunity to ask lore-related questions and such.

I could probably find this information somewhere, but do you know what time they usually stream and how many days a week? Also, are their streams available to be re-watched as recordings?

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 07:35:34 AM »
Generally they stream Armello stuff Sunday and Tuesday nights (about  21:00-0:00 EST), I don't have the exact schedule handy. I'm on the Armello Discord server, it usually puts an alert out about half an hour before stream starts. And yes, I believe  you can view their old streams on twitch or as YouTube uploads.

Copied from InariFox's thread:

Invite link for the Armello Community Discord https://discord.gg/VubfUfM

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 10:47:38 PM »
You need to be a Twitch Subscriber to view their Twitch backlog, but I think they repost to Youtube for free.

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 04:27:23 PM »
You need to be a Twitch Subscriber to view their Twitch backlog, but I think they repost to Youtube for free.

We actually changed that! Now the backlog is open on Twitch for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Lyhli

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 11:10:12 PM »

We actually changed that! Now the backlog is open on Twitch for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Thanks so much!

SirRaynor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »
Something like Outcast. Outcast clan are species that don't really fit in.
A Landshark,a Buttmonkey, a Penguin and a Chihuahua.