Author Topic: New Character Stat - Courage  (Read 731 times)

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
New Character Stat - Courage
« on: June 30, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »
To get back up when you're beaten down takes guts.

Gameplay wise it works like this.  The Courage stat is unaffected by Quests, it's a measure of the Hero's confidence.  When your HP drops to 0, a gamble screen similar to the Quests gamble screen comes up.  To explain easier, say you're playing as Thane, I imagine his Courage stat is 7 so there are 7 Heart symbols and 3 Skull symbols.  If you're lucky you'll hit one of the 7 Heart symbols and he'll get back up with 2 HP, if you're unlucky you'll get one of the Skull symbols and death happens the usual way in Armello.  I realize that this might be a bit overpowered but I think it would make for maybe a nice little addition to the game, maybe under custom rules, "Courage Mode".

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: New Character Stat - Courage
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 04:47:58 AM »
An interesting idea, but you'd need a counterbalance.  If Hero A has 7 Courage and Hero B has only 3, what does Hero B get to replace it?  All other Hero stats are perfectly balanced (even if some argue stat synergy creates imbalances anyway).

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »
Cool idea, but it seems like the characters who thematically display courage are the ones who have already have higher health. IE. Thane, Magna, Barnaby, Horace. It might be a bit much to make already hard-to-kill characters even moreso.

On the other hand, it would be an interesting way to deal with people constantly nuking you. So hey, who knows?

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
I was using Thane as an example.  Besides I can think of at least one Hero who has a lot of health and a very low Courage stat, Ghor and possibly Twiss.  Anyway, for a counterbalance, if this is to be a custom match setting rather than default how about this.  Heroes with low Courage have 1 extra AP every turn and if they've been hit by a damage dealing peril the guards and banes ignore them until the end of their next turn.

Wessolf27

• Armellian Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
Why not just give most low-courage characters one free evade (per turn! So unless you're playing a rat clan hero, a low-courage character shouldn't be able to dodge the entire day/night turn) and one bonus die vs. perils?  It feels like those who race for the throne, if they lack mettle would make up for wits and craftiness. And along with that, 1 extra AP is a very powerful thing and would tilt the balance of the game a little lopsided.

Though I do have to admit, that's also a risk considering that can make quite a number of victories difficult. So that free evade shouldn't work the moment a low courage character is in the palace.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:23:23 PM by Wessolf27 »
Re-probus: A Story of Ferals

Omegaupdate Forums | Eagle Time Forums

Shrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 09:36:52 PM »
It's like Darkest Dungeon's mental test, somehow.. A fresh idea, really.  but it throws the game's balance, in my opinion.

What about a stat called Luck?
 A stat that does nothing but increase the probability of rolling damage, shields, quest prize, and dungeon goodies. This point increases after a successful dungeon roll,  50% or below quest roll, or by quest. When it has reached a specific point, you get 'lucky b*stard' status XD which further increases the success probabilities.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
Mathematical parity is important, you can't balance a stat that one hero has a 7 value for, another a 5, and another a 3 with a flat benefit that only goes to the 1-3 range heroes.

What about this, Courage versus Wily.  The combined values of a hero will always add to 10 to there's balance to any combination.  Courage works to survive a death only from non-combat damage (because most of those threats aren't lingering around to finish you off like a character in your space) and Wily lets you escape a combat death like the Squire (because you ran before the situation got too dire).

In this regard, Wily might still be weaker than courage, because it's easier to be reattacked then re-direct damaged, but toggles to the amount of health regained could balance this after some analytics.

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 06:27:28 AM »
Mathematical parity is important, you can't balance a stat that one hero has a 7 value for, another a 5, and another a 3 with a flat benefit that only goes to the 1-3 range heroes.

What about this, Courage versus Wily.  The combined values of a hero will always add to 10 to there's balance to any combination.  Courage works to survive a death only from non-combat damage (because most of those threats aren't lingering around to finish you off like a character in your space) and Wily lets you escape a combat death like the Squire (because you ran before the situation got too dire).

In this regard, Wily might still be weaker than courage, because it's easier to be reattacked then re-direct damaged, but toggles to the amount of health regained could balance this after some analytics.
I think I understand but I think it would be better to reverse them.  Courage allows you to withstand an enemy attack that may otherwise kill you and Wile allows you to do the same against damage-dealing perils and spells.  Though there's still the gamble thing I mentioned before.  These two stats cannot be raised and when added together total up to 10.  Using my favorite wolven swordsman as an example again, Thane has a Courage stat of 7 and a Wile stat of 3.   Amber on the other hand has a Courage stat of 4 and a Wile stat of 6.