Author Topic: Jrap's Dice Shack  (Read 428 times)

Jrap

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
Jrap's Dice Shack
« on: June 26, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
A thread to keep my dice and progress posts in! I've been making workshop stuff for like three years now  and I'm always looking for weird ways to make game objects less gamey. Like my first dice skin, using a 35mm photograph:

For this skin I want to use this dreamy B&W photo I took a while ago, I loaded some film under my shirt and dove into the dance floor of the only club in my hometown. I wasn't sure at all what settings would work or what aperture to use, and I couldn't actually see anything, so I wound on the film and took a shot with every different aperture my pentax had, hoping that the strobe light of the dance floor would trigger at the right time. I shot 48 exposures blind like this, and managed to develop one or two good images:

The best way to digitise a film photograph like this is to scan the negative and invert the color digitally, which I did, but the resolution still isn't really high enough to use in armello, so I'm compromising and doubling the neg's original size, and cherry-picking elements I like , like using the darker edges of the picture for the rot symbol:

and this person's rave-hand in the air for the swords:

A tip, what I'm doing here is selecting the squares in the UV, expanding the selection by 1px, and inverting it to crop the rest of my photograph out.

For the moon, I really liked the double-exposed faces of dancers and wanted to get these two in:

**(they are double-exposed because the only light hitting the film is that of the strobe light, which fired twice while the shutter was open, and the dancers were in different positions for each strobe flash, so they show up in both positions)

I want the edges of the dice to differ from the inside, but I don't want to use flat colors when I have such a rich image to work with, so I'll use the whole photo twice (because no-one would notice unless I told you)

At this point it occurs to me that the white symbols are going to be lost in the lighter backgronds, so I'm duplicating them and adding a gaussian blur for a soft shadow behind them, matching the style of the photo

I've got no Idea how to author the normal map of this one, so I'll just let photoshop blindly generate one (which seems appropriate) and see how it goes.

As you can see, the grain of the film is actually generating bumps on the die at 0% blur. This is probably excessive and bad, but so am I, so let's give it a spin

This went better than expected but as you can see, there are some iffy spots where the border rapidly changes color along the edge (ugly!!!!!)
But that's okay! this is what art is all about, making mistakes and trying new things! I'll adjust the texture of the edge to keep a more stable grey color. The bumps are also causing a bit of havoc with the lighting (it actually looks like silent movie footage when the die is spinning) , so I'll soften them.

and here it is with a dark border:

Feedback and tips are appreciated! I just started making dice and I'm making LOTS of mistakes!

SirRaynor

• View Profile
Re: Jrap's Dice Shack
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
The dev provided a dice ingame model, so you can try using blender to have some preview. It s better than to open and close the game again and again.

My normal map btw
GLHF
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:53:03 PM by SirRaynor »

Jrap

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »
Hey that's what mine looks like! twinsies!

Normal maps are the grayscale ones aren't they?

and using a 3d editor is a good tip! I was thinking about a cube-shaped OBJ to use in photoshop CC, since that's how i work on CSGO skins

SirRaynor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »
Greyscale is more like a height map. But you can generate a normal map from it as well. I normally make a copy of the original texture, increase contrast, brightness and reduce saturation, so the generated normal map can be more detailed. I like sharp edges btw

Jrap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 03:05:19 PM »
Omg you're a stone-cold genius I'm so gonna sharpen the next map i do

Jrap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »
Today I wanna make some custom dice out of tattoos! My housemate (who is abroad) sent me these great pics for inspo:

I really like the way her tat mixes solid lines and dotted stiplling and I'm hoping to at least recreate some of these nice lines on my dice.

I'm starting with clipping a few nice parts of a pic of me (saucy) and finding homes for them on the die

you can see on the left that i wanted to include a hand but it stretched off the die face, so i made it flow over the edge. this will probably not work and be a horrible disaster.

Next I'm going to try my best to warp the symbols around the areas that they're placed on. I'm not too stressed about getting this right, I could use displacement maps etc etc but right now I just want something quick and easy

Because I'm working with so many elements that require aligning, I'm going to test everything out at this stage, even though its early on.

Things look fine, and the hand still aligns over the edge. Now I can start crafting the tattoos, starting with recoloring the symbols to almost black:

and hollowing them out to JUST LINES:

This works for most of the symbols, but some look a little too simple now, so I'm adding stippling on more 'solid' surfaces

I guess you could say I'm......kind of a bad tattoo artist. I might have another swing at doing these symbols with a bit more effort thrown at them, but for now lets give it a normal map and a test in game!

I guess I'm implying that this cube is made of flesh (a terrifying concept) so I'll use a pretty subtle normal map for this test

SirRaynor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »
Eugh.... A human flesh dice

Lyhli

• Just enjoying the game!
    • View Profile
    • My page at deviantArt.com
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:19:25 AM »
EDIT: nevermind. I realized both paths didn't have to be exact same image and one was actually meant for normal maps ...
oops.

I can't figure out how to use a normal map. I'm just using my .png file. I experimented with normal maps while modding Skyrim, but that game had a folder it would grab the info from. As far as I can tell, Armello just uses a single file, so figuring out where to put the normal map is confusing me.

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:22:00 AM by Lyhli »