Author Topic: Fun Character Builds  (Read 648 times)

KatiferDragonite

• View Profile
Fun Character Builds
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:02:55 PM »
Hey everyone! I'm interested in hearing people's favourite fun character builds. Not necessarily the optimal ones, just the builds that are good fun to play and maybe a little unexpected.

For example, I really enjoy playing a build I like to call Crazy Spellcaster Amber. You take the rabbit ring that gives you one magic at dawn and the feel amulet for a sweet 6 magic per day to begin with, then carry on boosting wits, spirit and maybe body (depending on quest rewards and how aggressive everyone is feeling) until by the endgame you can throw around lightning strikes and banishes like nobody's business or get that clutch crystallise. And obviously walk into every dungeon you see to try and grab loot. (Actually, a couple of times I've picked up the Wyldfire staff. +3 magic at dawn is pretty damn great.)

So, what are your favourite offbeat builds?

noelwym

• View Profile
Re: Fun Character Builds
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:23:06 PM »
A Sana with Jade and Wit plus the Masquerade Mask, Wyldfire Staff with the companions of the Apprentice and the Warlock. I can imagine what chaos the game would be in.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:24:35 AM »
Kung Fu Master Sargon.  Raise fight first and Wits/Body as conveniant,  Sword explosion ring.  Draw cards with good combat symbols once equipped, and he'll easily best characters with higher fight.

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:07:49 AM »
I personally enjoy playing Zosha with the Discipline amulet and Ruby ring equipped. There are better amulets, but this way it feels more in-character. You have to strike at night in order to maximize your combat advantages.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 06:35:45 AM »
I once got lucky enough with Barnaby to obtain both the Masquerade Mask and the Wyldfire Staff. I had initially given him the 'Feel' Amulet from the get-go, and later did a Spirit quest. I was amazed to find I had somehow built a Tinkerer proficient in spellcasting AND fighting! Just as long as you remembered to equip the Mask before Dusk and the Staff before Dawn, keeping it on for the added wits and removing it before fights.

Oh yeah, and I had drawn the Heavy Plate Armor, so keeping that equipped during my off-turn time meant I was infuriatingly difficult to move or kill. I think two of the other players ragequit out of that game... ^^;;;;

KatiferDragonite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »
These all sound great. Re. the spellcaster Barnaby build, a few times I've picked up the Wyldfire staff on Magna and just like that I'm playing a half-caster. I really like that item.

Build concept two: grab anyone with a 5 and a 6 in their starting statlines, give up on building a balanced character and go treasure/follower fishing off your high stats. Elyssia for preference, with the rabbit ring that gets you prestige for treasures; or I guess you could fish for spirit stones instead.

CaptainRed1000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:17:18 PM »
I mentioned this one on a DvC stream, but there certainly is some satisfaction to be gained by playing what I call "Battlemage Sana". Basically Sana with Fight Amulet, and going through all the Quests getting as much Fight as possible, at every opportunity. Almost any ring works with this build. I can sort of imagine Sana acting in battle like Inquisition's Knight-Enchanter speciality.

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 04:50:58 PM »
+10000 for this thread

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »
I call mine Great Lord Thane.  The Growth amulet will help keep you alive, especially if you manage to get the Apothecary card.   The Onyx ring will provide you much needed gold for the early stages of the game.  Having the Berserker and Blacksmith companions along with Apothecary would be ideal.  Also having the following treasures would really make this build potentially overpowered as a combatant in any match Wyld Talisman, Royal Shield, and Silver Lance.  Focus on Thane's strong suits, Fight and Body.  Spell cards that might work wonders here are Shimmer Shield, Feral, Haste, Mirror Image, and Bark Skin.

The title Great Lord actually comes from the Fire Emblem series where characters that have that class are generally infantrymen with a lot of health, insane offensive and defensive ability, the ability to wield swords and lances, and a special skill called Aether which restores lost HP whenever it goes active.  This build attempts to emulate a good bit of that.
"The strength of the Wolf is the Pack and the strength of the Pack is the Wolf"

Shrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »
Recently, I really like a combination between amethyst ring and wit (for Sylas), feel (for Horace) or resist (for Scarlet). Who needs golds when you have benzene for crazy spells at your disposal? I made a long living traitor Sylas with this combination once. It was really fun XD
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:21:27 AM by Shrapnel »

KatiferDragonite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 06:40:54 PM »
So I tried out Kletian's Kung Fu Master Sargon (or as I call him, Danger Rat) and he turned out pretty great. Ended up going rot and totally would have won if Amber hadn't pulled a Strategist at the last second to kill the king. 10/10 would run feral rat again.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »
Glad you liked it.

Shrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
This is one of my favorite lately. I call this lol Thane because it's so unusual and find myself chuckling at his weird stats spread. Then chuckle again after a successful castle's spirit peril.

This build uses feel amulet and rubellite ring.

Why feel? Because we might start with cards like banish or dark influence which are super useful, especially early game. This also allows us to reach 5 spirits at the 2nd quest. 5 spirits allow us to breach the palace when things went awry before the 3rd quest. With 5, we can cast nearly all spells and the dreaded lightning strike too.

Don't do body quest. Rubellite is only effective on medium body wolves. Get one when you contracted with rot to buffer the hp control a bit. Dawn damage is nasty if goes unnoticed.

My usual quests order is wit > spirit > wit > fight .

Shave his hp to 3 before the fight with the King. Yes, it can be suicidal but at least it's fun to see him slings spells to the edge of the board and flexibly breach either spirit or wit palace perils.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:48:39 AM by Shrapnel »

Lyhli

• Just enjoying the game!
    • View Profile
    • My page at deviantArt.com
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 11:17:08 PM »
My normal builds are usually whatever compliments the strengths of the character in my eyes. For example, River: Celestite or Rubelite ring with the +1 fight, or Resist amulets. I usually play Sana with the Sunstone ring to help her get some extra backup for her fight, but I like Jade ring more for her. I always pick the Dig amulet, unless I'm going for rot ...

A corrupted Sana is BEAST against any corrupted creature. The issue is getting the right rot cards in time vs trying to die by banes instead of kill them, as is her hero power. Spending so much time going after rot takes away precious time for quests and strengthening her otherwise lacking stats. I never yet won a rot playthrough as Sana, but I'm working towards that.