Author Topic: AI Player Moves and Actions  (Read 2164 times)

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
AI Player Moves and Actions
« on: September 12, 2014, 09:46:39 PM »
Hey Guys,

I've just played through my first game of Armello with my kids and we quite enjoyed it, even at this early stage of the game (no pun intended).

The one thing I did find a bit tricky was understanding what the other AI players are up to. The text  that describes their actions in the box at the bottom of the screen is just to small and goes past to quick. I understand slowing it's "scroll rate" down would slow down the AI's actual actions and thus the game, which could make it tedious.

So I have two suggestions to help with this:
1) How about adding the ability to scroll back through the list of things that has occurred so you can read it at your own pace ?
2) How about a setting (either in the games options or a slider at the top of the box) that allows you to adjust the "speed" of the AI's as they take their turns. That way as you get used to the game, you can speed things up, but while you are still learning they move a bit slower and you get time to read the actions ?

Anyways just some thoughts after an initial play through.

Keep up the good work.

Owen

Xiander

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: AI Player Moves and Actions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
An alternative solution would be adding a "history" tab, where players could check all the actions taken for the duration of the game.
In the interest of not putting anyone off their appetites... I hid the bodies elsewhere.

Agog to be the 3,579th wizard on BackerKit for Armello

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:47:29 PM »
Hey Alvorn!

Thanks for the suggestion. Great to hear you're having fun even at this early stage too!

You're in luck because the ability to expand the status feed is actually one of the very next tasks we'll be doing in the backer Alpha. You can expect to see that in one of the next couple of builds.

Other than that, we have a heap of communication and feedback mechanics that we need to implement still, so you should have no dramas keeping tabs on the AI in the final game. Any more ideas on how this could be achieved are welcome, of course.  :)

Thanks again!

Kamiten

• Backer
  • There's a good chance I'm at work or drinking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »
Came here to make this exact suggestion as I have started playing the alpha build myself. Happy to see an expanded actions history is in the works!

Shrink

• Backer
  • Twos work... Ones fly
    • View Profile
    • Art Blog?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 01:41:28 AM »
Came here to make this exact suggestion as I have started playing the alpha build myself. Happy to see an expanded actions history is in the works!

Excited for a more controlled status scroll. Those AI are quick! Having a look at the history may help teach us how the AI decides where to move each turn, which would be cool too. A little anticipation could be a nice advantage.

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 09:30:31 AM »
You're in luck because the ability to expand the status feed is actually one of the very next tasks we'll be doing in the backer Alpha. You can expect to see that in one of the next couple of builds.

Thats fantastic news :)

Looking forward to it :)

Owen

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 01:26:04 PM »
Hey Alvorn!

Thanks for the suggestion. Great to hear you're having fun even at this early stage too!

Other than that, we have a heap of communication and feedback mechanics that we need to implement still, so you should have no dramas keeping tabs on the AI in the final game. Any more ideas on how this could be achieved are welcome, of course.  :)

Thanks again!

Do you reckon you could have someone mock up a brief Graph/image displaying what needs to be implemented, what is implemented and what is being implemented? I.E, a list like

*Implement Audio: 1
*History Log: 2
*Fix Banish Bug: 2
*Multiplayer: 3

Replace 1 with Green
Replace 2 with Orange
Replace 3 with Red

and then make:

Green = Done
Orange = Implementing
Red= To Do

would that be possible? then sticky it to the main forum :) im sure it would help everyone out

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:21:13 PM »
Yep, we're currently figuring out the best way to demonstrate our road map for Alpha and beyond to you guys. Bear with us. We should have something up shortly.

TinBane

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 03:28:41 AM »
Awesome work guys :)