Author Topic: Tinbane's Suggestion Thread  (Read 1699 times)

TinBane

• Backer
    • View Profile
Tinbane's Suggestion Thread
« on: September 12, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »
Hi Guys,

Firstly, amazing work! I've just played through five or six games, and its working really well. I wanted to give you some general feedback. I know many of these things are probably up there on your feature list, and yet to be implemented. But on the off-chance that they aren't, it's better to communicate them :)

Balance:
I'm still new at this game, but every game has ended in a combat victory, and all but one of those was with the eventual winner dying to the king. It kind of biases the game towards a high damage build at the moment. What I'd suggest is that the king's dice are different - he treats all his successes of any kind as attack, he deals enough damage to kill the hero attacking him, and then his attack successes left are moved into defense. This means that heroes who build defense, dice denial, etc builds will have a good chance of taking the king, not just high attack builds.

User Interface:
I have a bit of trouble finding the right spot on the dice to roll them sometimes. You can make the detection area pretty big. Likewise I took me a while to realise that to burn a card you just put right on the fire. I was waiting for visual feedback (like the equip feedback). In terms of experience, you could have large detection areas on both. Have the dice glow or move when you are in the right spot to roll them, and have the cards "sucked onto the fire" when you get in the general area. Ideally I'd like to be able to "throw" the cards at the fire, to use them up for the fight.

Random Generation:
I'm finding the card generation a bit difficult. I tried a rot + mercurio build, but in about 30 - 40 cards (I was cycling quick) I got maybe one rot card the whole time. I'm not sure if the other heroes had them and never burned them (because rot is never favourable) but it felt like either the deck doesn't cycle with a tracked "discard" pile, it's just a RNG, or I got incredibly unlucky and the other heroes got them all.

Feedback to Player:
The ability to expand the log would be great. There are some plays that caused big changes in prestige, and they get pushed out of the log before you can even read them.  Likewise, it would be good to be able to get feedback on events in the log. Maybe more information if you click or mouse-over something. How many successes did they get against a peril, things of that nature. Sometimes the log will tell you that a card was played on you (like the spell that makes the trees alive) but unless you know the card, you don't know what the effect was.

I don't want this to sound like a gripe. It's alpha! These are just the things and suggestions that struck me quickly :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:05:59 PM by Trent Kusters »

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Tinbane's Suggestion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »
Wish I had read this before I made my new post. I agree with TinBane's suggestion he's put under "Feedback to Player" below. Combined with the suggestion I had over in my post would work really well.
The ability to click on other AI's actions to gain insight as to what happened would be fantastic and also help new players learn the game and tactics quicker.

Lucas

• Backer
  • Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:52:16 AM »
Hey, figured I would post a bit of my experiences as well then.

Balance: Yes, I agree it does tend to skew towards heavy Fight based characters, but I have had a distinct victory with each kind of development (high Fight with Thane, Prestige with Mercurio, Sana with a Rot path victory [which amounted to having huge dice for the combat, but will discuss my suggestions for this later] and a Spirit Stone victory with Sana as well. )

So far, with the AI actions I think it is fairly balanced. Perils are difficult because there are limited cards and no talents with which I can invested resources to make up for my lacking Wits, or Spirit or whatever it was I was trying. (They are difficult but manageable I think, especially as more will be added I am sure) HOWEVER a few key notes:
-Banes have been moving feely through the Palace Gardens and a bug currently allows a Hero to attack a Bane on the Palace Grounds which then seemingly allow you to bypass the Peril. I know, becuase I ganked the King unfairly exploiting that :P
-AI Heros do not yet seem to 'encounter' any kind of Peril, it seems, because they seem to either avoid the spots entirely or they go on them and usually 'Escaped the King's Peril' almost regardless of whomever placed it. So it seems like the Palace Perils do not stop them quite yet. However they do not usualky attempt a seige until late game, but obviously the AI is still being worked on. They are fairly devious and pleasantly annoying with certain moves, so bravo~

I have more to mention but my short break is up. Final thought is back towards the Rot. I have two suggestions:
-Making Rot bonuses based on the difference of the dice and not just the lower value added to the higher. It still makes Banes tough at first, but the more Rot you get the eaiser you can start to clear then, and also most AI lack a bunch of Rot so they hardly gives you much bonus when you find yourself at 6+ Rot. (To clarify, the Rot bonus only should occur when an opponent has at LEAST 1 Rot)
-Making Rot a distinct victory path like Spirit Stones. It is harder to use than the Stones (Since only a little can really make an opponent terrifying) but at the same time to get enough to really overcome the King takes time so it is not the quickest path. I imagine it could be some sort of kowtowing of the King to the new Champion of Rot or however you might spin it.

Anyways, I have tons more to add later when I can. But I wanted to toss my two cents in.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:15:26 AM by Lucas »

TinBane

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 03:22:27 AM »
Thanks for your posts. I thought I'd post a follow up. I think Lucas is right, and the AI isn't effected by Palace Perils, and that might be why the AI has done a good job killing the king!

Lucas

• Backer
  • Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:04:24 AM »
One aesthetic design I would suggest is going back to having tiles which contain Perils surrounded by a ring of smaller flags, like when a settlement is claimed, only because you can enjoy the finely wrought attention to detail of the tile without a massive single post. Not game breaking, but just thought I'd share.

TinBane

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 11:24:22 PM »
I thought I'd commend you on your recent changes. Just thought I'd won a game by killing the king, only to find out that my suicide run had triggered a prestige victory... Just as it should be :)