Author Topic: Character Lore?  (Read 459 times)

Original Bias

• View Profile
Character Lore?
« on: April 30, 2017, 07:21:22 PM »

So, I didn't find a discussion on this topic using the search function and I didn't have it in me to go through 22 pages of listed posts, so if anyone's already pushed this one and there's more intel to be found there, I'd appreciate being pointed in that direction.

Does anyone (and this includes you devs :b ) have some character lore for the second and third heroes releases? Zosha appears to be the only one who got any kind of comprehensive background to her name - not that I mind, it's an awesome evil background that's spawned all sorts of weird redemption storylines for the events of the throne race in my head.

But River, Sargon, Barnaby, Magna, Ghor and Elyssia are all missing origins and they're hard to put into any kind of context with this lack of lore. The wiki is mum, so I'm assuming there is no more information to be had at this point, but seeing as the original heroes and the bandits all have wonderfully expanded backgrounds (albeit cut slightly short by the fact that the original heroes are set to get novellas written on them this year), I feel the second batch of contestants and the Usurpers have been left out somewhat ... especially with the name Usurpers to their release. Why are they called that?

What's Barnaby's interest in the throne? Why does Elyssia look like she's got that big set of scales wedged up her tail end most of the time?  And what's up with Magna wearing fox tails on her belt!? I bet Scarlet's got a thing or two to say about that ... or maybe she's to be added to the collection?

I'll be happy to post my own speculations on the topic, but I figured I'd ask the broader community at first if there's things already confirmed or denied.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:41:19 PM by Original Bias »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Character Lore?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 04:13:34 AM »
The community has long thirsted for such lore bits.  No word so far when the next batch is coming.

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »
Good to know the lore hunger still exists!

Original Bias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 08:00:16 PM »
Alright, so since there's still open guesses as to who the unknowns are and what their motivations might be, I figure I'll toss out my ideas here and see if anyone's got something to say on the matter. This is a discussion board after all, so discussion, yay! :3

River
The huntress is a bit of a mystery as far as her motivations are concerned. The "Blight" fan-comic suggested she might be Thane's sister, which would give the two a very interesting sibling dynamic, but I'll leave this aside for now.

The wolf clan is described as proud and deeply honor-bound, which would imply to me that they lead their lives much like the people of japan did back in the Edo period, with strict social structures and hierarchies. Everyone has their position in the clan; warriors do battle, hunters provide food, healers treat wounds etc. - everyone does their thing as a contribution to the clan and is respected for their acts as such in turn. Trying to break the mold or defying leadership or a caste perceived as above yours in the larger hierarchy would likely be connected with a great deal of shame (something I suspect Thane is spared (or is he?) only because he is the son of the former clan alpha).

Now, based on this assumption, River has no business trying for the throne, at least not by herself. A wild bit of speculation on my part is that the King's deepening madness has been encroaching on the lands around the wolf territories to the point where the hunters could no longer provide enough food for the clan. River, being a dutiful huntress wishing to contribute to the clan, thus sets out for the palace to face the king and get control of their hunting grounds back, or failing that, kill him for the crown to liberate them herself.

There is an act of defiance in that course, since there already is a chosen champion of the wolf clan to carry the clan's business before the king and/or claim the crown and she is but a huntress, not a warrior and hence has no business challenging leadership, let alone the king of Armello himself (this is based on the assumption that Thane was indeed sent by the clan, and didn't just take off for the crown of his own volition, which, at least to me, was never definitely specified). I suspect that, were she to be successful, she would be forgiven her shame for abandoning her task towards the clan, as her donning the crown would truly outdo her benefits to the clan as a huntress - that is, assuming she wouldn't just outright relinquish the crown to a leadership person of the clan (or Thane ... who would likely bear that shame instead for having been bested by a huntress).

There is of course more personal reasons she could be doing this for. Based on the previous assumption, perhaps she lost a pack member to the famine caused by the food shortages, or something else has set her on a path of revenge against the king, but as I said, River is a bit of a mystery to me, so whenever it is the devs get around to posting their version, I'm willing to hear any alternate theories.

Sargon
This sore-covered rat strikes me as some form of cult leader or pilgrim of same. I'm not sure what exact position he or his kind hold in the larger rat culture, but considering that even the darkest parts of the rat underworld have a very properly groomed young lady for an emissary (yes, that's a very ... benevolent description for Zosha), I'm fairly sure Sargon and his followers and/or associates are considered the bottom of the barrel ... and considering that about 90% of rat society apparently lives in the gutter, that barrel's already full of scum and now imagine what's at the bottom :b

However, as Armello is a world of magic and trickery and all the things we boring humans don't get to do, the cult very likely has a strong and very real powerbase to draw from. His is the world of sorcery, but not the kind you'd ever see Sana doing. I mean, we see him disturbing a grave in the Usurpers trailer, and I'm fairly sure he wasn't after trinkets. Considering he has a starting wealth of 7 gold, he worries little for materials. Instead I see him breaking fingers off corpses or reanimating them for a short while to learn their secrets - basically a less heroic version of what the Ron Perlman iteration of Hellboy did in the first movie. And while these practices may be righteously frowned upon, I'll bet you as surely as Mercurio has a lover in every town, Sargon's services as the death teller will be paid for by some thoroughly rotten soul or other for their unsavory needs and ambitions.

I'm willing to say the cult is probably known to all but mentioned by none, because speaking their name invokes their presence, that kind of thing. Armellians are thoroughly supersticious after all ... and for a good reason.

Now, what’s Sargon’s motivation for the throne? It’s a wild guess, but I want to say he’s probably the only hero canonically interested in the King’s rot and the growth thereof. While he himself may not lend well to rot for his frail body, he and his kind very likely have a good interest in surrounding themselves with that special kind of darkness that grants power, because, you know, it’s what cults do - I’m sure you can all paint the picture in your head.
Whether it’s to witness the king’s demise to the rot and harness that experience for himself somehow or to rot himself and the rest of the cult in the shadows of the palace to spread it across Armello when the crown falls, or a combination thereof is up in the air, but I’m willing to put my money on both options. Based on what I had said before, I see them as the type to „spread the plague“ so to speak.

Barnaby
I have a few choice words about this bunny and just about none of them are nice. Leaving aside my personal differences with this bouncing burden, here’s my theory as to what Barnaby’s background and motivation are.

I don’t have one. Honestly.

I’m not sure whether screwloose is his last name, or just a name people give him, but even so, it gives no hints as to what he wants with the crown. He’s described as a tinkerer, so maybe he’s some sort of youth prodigy in the workshops of the rabbit clan. I’ll cite the „Blight“ comic again, because that is about the only version of the little f***er I find sympathetic, but he strikes me as too young to be running for the throne in any capacity or for any reason.

My best guess is that he’s literally just doing it because he can? He’s wearing self-made armor and a big-ass back pack, so I’m guessing he might be riding on Amber’s curiosity track.

Tired of working in the smithy, he just packs all of his stuff together one day and hops out into the wild world to see what it’s got to offer. Fight some ancient monsters? F*** yeah! Go on a quest for ancient relics? Wooo! Go me! Battle the king for the crown? Why not? Sign me up! ... and after he wins I see him just tossing the crown aside and going "Now what?"

Again, I’m open to all other theories.

Magna
This big lady I have a more amicable relationship with than the insane bunny. While I was rather indifferent towards her at first, she sort of grew on me when she earned me my first rot victory (hurrhurr, grew on me, get it? - I’m sorry).

However, it was that rot victory that got me wondering what her motivations were and whether gaining rot and out-rotting the king was something that made sense canoncially. The version of Magna I came up with it sort of does, and if I ever have the time, I would love to put together a short comic showing that decline and that beautiful description of a thoroughly corrupted character entering the palace (whoever came up with that of you devs, pat yourself on the back, it really spawned an image in my head).

So as I mentioned before, I see wolf society as a strictly hierarchical and casted thing. The shield maidens , I believe, are the guardians and gatekeepers of the wolven lands. When the warriors go to battle, it’s the shield maidens who hold the forts and keeps back home. During peace time I see them functioning as the sheriffs of the clan grounds, keeping order, peace and the law of the clan.

In this capacity Magna strikes me as the chief of the shield maidens and I see her fulfilling a similar role to the clan grounds as the Marvel version of Heimdall does to Asgard in that she has ultimate authority over who gets to come and go (not superseding the clan alpha of course). She and her shields keep the clan safe from both the conquering and the criminal elements of other lands and this is also where I hook her motivations.

Being a dutiful gatekeeper and upholder of the wolven clan order, Magna has no tolerance whatsoever for Scarlet and her bandits. While she may not have the authority to speak on the clans behalf in general, I think in matters of security, she may have repeatedly requested the king to tighten his guard up against the outlaws, but since his mind was declining he may well either not have read or cared for the requests at all, leaving the bandit clan free reign of the lands between the clans and the palace. This very likely already rubbed her the wrong way, but when the bandits finally succeeded in stealing several of the clan’s celestite rings (how much ‘you wanna bet that was Twiss?) Magna’s patience finally ended.

The king was either unable or unwilling to control the criminal elements of the kingdom and therefore unfit to wear the crown. Considering Thane’s reputation, he was no better candidate for the throne either, so it was time to take matters in her own hands. She will take the throne, one way or another, and when she’s done with the weakling king she’ll turn all her attention to adding another of those fox tails to her belt.

Ghor
This guy’s special and I don’t mean that he’s a beautiful and unique snowflake.

There’s a lot of angles as to what his origins are; maybe he was orphaned as a cub or maybe his parents dropped him in the forest after they noticed he was weak of mind, but whatever his origins, his connection to the wyld and the will of the forest is undeniable and I think that pretty much wraps up the character.

I don’t think he himself truly has a motivation for the throne, but instead he follows the wyld’s voices in his head. Much like Sana, Ghor is the spiritual counterpart to the king in that they act as the wyld’s balance to the king’s rot, but while Sana does this by her motivation as a priestess and prodigy of the clan, Ghor is much more directly connected to the wyld, not as a mindless golem, but as a symbiotic follower. The wyld cared for the cub and he in turn cares for the wyld and it’s balance.

As such, I don’t believe he wants the crown. Instead he only wants to purge the king and his rot and would leave the throne for someone else to fill, should he succeed. Again, alternate theories welcome.

Elyssia
This one I have trouble with.

Me and a friend jokingly theorized that Elyssia was Amber’s mom. Tired of her daughter’s antics and disregard for her responsibilities as heir to the rabbit clan, she’s set out to drag that little upstart back home, by her tail if she has to. If this means uprooting the king to show her how it’s done and gain the crown for herself in the process, so much the better. It would explain her snooty appearance at least X3

In all honesty though, Elyssia is, if not royalty, definitely of the upper crust of rabbit society. The title wardress of warrens alone attests to her greatness in one way or another, and considering rabbit society is described as being based on knowledge and technological advances as a founding stone, anyone with abilities like hers will be held in high regard.

As such I have a hard time pegging her for her motivations, but my best guess is that she might know Amber in person. She strikes me as the strictly business, a bean counter, a stickler for details and she hates, absolutely hates, people falling out of order ... and boy does Amber ever fall out of order. So to avoid a flighty, distracted adventurer from becoming queen of all the land, Elyssia has set out to claim the crown and put out a better example for (and of) her people than that frilly little princess would ever be ... as far as she’s concerned anyway.

The Usurpers
I know I’ve listed each of them above. The reason I’m putting them in a separate spot down here is to theorize on their title. Looking at the way the societies are structured and the characters function, I believe the Usurpers are literally meant as rebells against the original established heroes.

Thane and Amber are youthful and impulsive, much more preoccupied with their own interests than much else.
Magna and Elyssia both strike me as strict, ordered people, with the experience to see the trouble their respective champions would cause should they be succesful in gaining the crown.

Mercurio and Zosha are both a very specific type of high class. Mercurio stands as an established quasi noble man, while Zosha is the right hand of the night mother, both of which have a certain sense of royalty about them, if from the opposite end of the societal spectrum. Any way you put it, they both want the crown.
Sargon stands as a counter to both of them as a filthy, ragged cult priest character. He cares little for the crown, instead focusing on a far more sinister and otherworldly interest in the king and his condition and the consequences for the lands of Armello.

Sana and Brun both follow the wyld, or their interpretation of it. Even if they do so with different consents, their motivations are essentially the same, they’re just convinced of different methods. Sana is the gentle priestess, while Brun is the magical warrior.
Ghor also follows the wyld, but he does so in a much more direct manner. This may seem like he’s in tune with Sana and Brun, but considering how deep Ghor’s connection with the wyld runs, they may not be following the will of the wyld as closely as they would both believe and thus Ghor stands as the true spirit of the wyld’s will, while Sana and Brun would likely both have the throne for the betterment of the lands, or just to prove the council wrong in Brun’s case.

----

That concludes my contribution to the big mystery of the ursurpers and the rest of Armello’s lore that has yet to be published.

I look forward to hearing any alternative theories and discussions associated with the same - I hope there will be, at least :3 Discuss away!

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »
Interesting! I kind of have a similar theory about Ghor. He's not terribly wise, but his connection to the Wyld is undeniable. Whereas Sana is a bleeding heart and Brun wants to rule through power, I would entirely expect Ghor to be the puppet of someone very high up in the Bear Clan. They don't want to act directly, and since the Crown is basically a giant target on the head wearing it, they would entirely be comfortable installing a weak-willed imbecile on the throne. He has no political vision or know-how, leaving the bear clan to use him as a blank slate to accomplish whatever means they want. (I want to stress this is just speaking from a lore perspective. I don't mean to be so harsh on Ghor as a character.)

Elyssia, I see as someone who wants to bring order to the Kingdom. She is utterly self-assured of the power of law, order, and structure, and sees the Kingdom falling into ruin. She might not have the most impressive physical prowess. But as an intellectual, she is positive she can either rule the Kingdom ("Because HONESTLY... if these dullards are the candidates with which I must compete, I'm SURE to win...") or have a place somewhere in the royal cabinet ("See how I've already strengthened YOUR kingdom, my liege...?).

Barnaby is pure, youthful, progress. He might be nutty, but the boy genius has a massive chip on his shoulder and a need to prove himself. I doubt he came to campaign for himself. More likely, his zany misadventures and marvelous contraptions began to earn him prestige through the countryside, until he realized people were beginning to expect great things of him. Of course, Barnaby probably wouldn't know what to DO with the Kingdom if he ever won it, but he would certainly push it forward scientifically. Automate functions with his inventions, or invent new weapons of war. He'd be a very hands-off kind of monarch. Like Ghor, he would rely pretty heavily on his Rabbit Clan advisors to run the Kingdom. Unlike the bear, however, he would occasionally show a spark of self-motivation to accomplish some public works that benefits everyone. Much to the chagrin of his advisors, once he gets an idea in his head, he can't be swayed from it.

Sargon is SO close to the rot. He walks  fine line between actually being touched by its malevolence and simply doing dark deeds. He was probably born with the gift of precognition, a trait that might have made him some royal advisor if he wasn't born in the gutter. A hard life of poverty and disease took its toll on him, but anyone with such a rare gift would probably think themselves exceptional. Sargon is like any rat, and will do whatever it takes to get what he wants. He doesn't have the benefit of nobility nor training or charisma - All the things one would expect of the Rat uppercrusts like Zosha and Mercurio. Yet, somehow, things keep working out in his favor. He knows just where to be and what to say, in no small part due to his otherworldly abilities. Would he rule the kingdom well? There are tons of people who fear him as a harbinger. Perhaps he would make the inequality of Armello his pet cause. Or maybe he'd decide to make the world pay for the hard life he's lived...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:57:49 PM by dragoncrescent »

Original Bias

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »
Ooooh, I'm liking these 8D

Going by your description and assuming they'd be willing to go into a partnership (which I doubt, because their characters feel very different indeed), Elyssia and Barnaby could make an impressive ruling pair. She's probably got the experience and both of them have technological and scientific expertise. I wonder just how quickly the lands of Armello would advance if the two of them had the crown - or a crown, since old standards need a King and a Queen, so both get a head piece.
Makes me wonder which one of them would do the ruling the kingdom part though. My money's on Elyssia, with Barn's throwing in a word or two between tinkering on a contraption X3

Loving your idea for Sargon also. Makes a whole lot more sense than what I came up with, at least in terms of him chasing after the throne!