Author Topic: How Do You Like Your Coffee?  (Read 1038 times)

G0vnah

• View Profile
    • IZ:TDM!
How Do You Like Your Coffee?
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:56:31 AM »
Because I'm bored and this is the "off-topic" section. ^_^

I like mine straight black with some milk added to cool it down from "boiling scalding surface of the sun hot" to "ahh, that's nice and warm but also isn't destroying my mouth."

Biologist

• View Profile
Re: How Do You Like Your Coffee?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 05:04:08 AM »
If I'm brewing it at home and it's not a flavored coffee, either with milk and hazelnut creamer or black with chili powder for an extra kick. The trick is to add the chili powder to the filter with the coffee. Cinnamon also works well.

Never instant, under any circumstances.

I also sometimes make iced coffee, usually to salvage a cup that's gone lukewarm after I got distracted while brewing and left it on the counter.

Tried cold-pressed coffee once. Found it interesting but not terribly impressive.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

G0vnah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:28:57 AM »
If I'm brewing it at home and it's not a flavored coffee, either with milk and hazelnut creamer or black with chili powder for an extra kick. The trick is to add the chili powder to the filter with the coffee. Cinnamon also works well.

Never instant, under any circumstances.

I also sometimes make iced coffee, usually to salvage a cup that's gone lukewarm after I got distracted while brewing and left it on the counter.

Tried cold-pressed coffee once. Found it interesting but not terribly impressive.
I am but a lowly peon in the coffee world; I'm guilty of the cardinal sin of owning a Keurig, lol

But I also use a French Press from time to time, which is actually pretty good.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
I, too, own a Keurig machine. But we have one of those dummy cups that you can put your own coffee in. I grind my beans fresh almost every morning. I find that freshly ground coffee has sooo much more flavor and jolt to it! Instant coffee is an abomination, and proof that mankind has gone too far! :D

I do occasionally partake of flavored coffee. Some of it is decent, but often very bland (and utterly lacking in caffeine content!) Generally, I flavor mine with about a teaspoon of coffee creamer (the seasonal peppermint and cinnamon vanilla are my absolute favorites) and dab of honey. I used to use sugar, but I find that honey actually melds better with the overall flavor.

Coffee! The only reason I wake up and crawl out of bed, some mornings! XD
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:22:20 PM by dragoncrescent »

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 11:24:38 PM »
Since I am a surgeon, coffee is my fuel. It needs to be black (that's the stuff that is available anywhere in a hospital), hot (that's not always the state the stuff is in) and has to contain caffeine.

If there is a bigger abomination than instant coffee it is the decaffeinated one.
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 01:20:29 AM »
If there is a bigger abomination than instant coffee it is the decaffeinated one.

I've never understood the point of decaf coffee. If I want to drink something without caffeine, I want to drink something other than coffee. An herbal infusion, a sparkling water, fruit juice, filtered water with lemon juice in it, but not decaf coffee.

Also, I see nothing wrong with owning a Keurig per se, but there are alternatives that are less pricey (and if you really want to use the official branded cups, there are apparently ways to get around their attempt at making them unusable in non-Keurig machines). If you run them with just hot water they are a great way to heat water for tea without using a microwave.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

G0vnah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 02:41:22 AM »

I, too, own a Keurig machine. But we have one of those dummy cups that you can put your own coffee in. I grind my beans fresh almost every morning. I find that freshly ground coffee has sooo much more flavor and jolt to it! Instant coffee is an abomination, and proof that mankind has gone too far! :D
Then count me in as a blasphemous instant coffee addict! Although, to be fair, I *DO* sometimes pour coffee grounds into a dummy cup whenever I can be bothered.

Also, WITHOUT A DOUBT, instant coffee is but a cheap shadow of the real deal. I'd honestly take fresh coffee any day as opposed to instant coffee, if it weren't for the "convenience" factor of it. I suppose it's a choice between what one values more in their daily routine; time or quality.

Coffee! The only reason I wake up and crawl out of bed, some mornings! XD
Hallelujah and amen.

Since I am a surgeon, coffee is my fuel. It needs to be black (that's the stuff that is available anywhere in a hospital), hot (that's not always the state the stuff is in) and has to contain caffeine.

I can relate. Kinda. My dad travels around to various hospitals and does instrument repair on-site. I've gone with him on a few of his runs, out of boredom, and BOY do we wind up going through coffee! Always had to sprinkle a tiny bit of  ice in , though, because I'm a baby like that and can't stand coffee unless it's warm, not hot.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 06:45:06 PM »
Cool trick I learned from a friend:
Coffee beans naturally contribute a bit of acid to your beverage. If you find yourself developing a bit of a heavy or upset stomach upon drinking coffee (or if you just want to taste more of the flavor and less of the bitter) try adding in the tiniest pinch of salt. It apparently neutralizes the acid and brings out the flavor some!

G0vnah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:20:22 PM »
Huh. I hadn't thought of that before... but it DOES make some sense!

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:11 PM »
And if you want to have your coffee a bit "warmer/rounded" try to give a very small amount of grinded cinnamon to the coffeepowder when your brewing it...it will make all the difference.
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

G0vnah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 04:20:04 AM »
Hey, yeah! I remember seeing another post about that. Forgot to comment on it, I think. I might try that sometime.

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
If you didn't know, Australia is huge on their coffee. To put it in perspective (for primarily the Americans), you can't just order a "coffee", a plain coffee doesn't exist here. You need to order a latte, a flat white, a long black or whatever you want, unless specified it's all espresso based coffee. Also, flavoured coffee is considered a bit of a cop out here.

Anyway, I got sidetracked with an Australia lesson. A double shot latte is my go-to order.

<3

G0vnah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 02:10:08 PM »
If you didn't know, Australia is huge on their coffee. To put it in perspective (for primarily the Americans), you can't just order a "coffee", a plain coffee doesn't exist here. You need to order a latte, a flat white, a long black or whatever you want, unless specified it's all espresso based coffee. Also, flavoured coffee is considered a bit of a cop out here.

Anyway, I got sidetracked with an Australia lesson. A double shot latte is my go-to order.

<3

Ohh yeah! Latte - *THAT* is another I like a lot. A coffee shop opened a few cities away from me, and I should be very grateful that it's only something I encounter once in a long while. Otherwise my wallet would be gone. Their lattes are fantastic cups of pure amazing.

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »

<3

Ohh yeah! Latte - *THAT* is another I like a lot. A coffee shop opened a few cities away from me, and I should be very grateful that it's only something I encounter once in a long while. Otherwise my wallet would be gone. Their lattes are fantastic cups of pure amazing.

I can't imagine having to travel to another city to buy a latte. I live in one of those cities with the stereotypical "Starbucks on every corner"... although there are smaller Mom n' Pop cafes around too. One of them makes an incredibly good chai latte - not actually coffee but still awesome.  It is possible to make lattes at home with some extra effort though.

G0vnah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 02:35:50 PM »
I can't imagine having to travel to another city to buy a latte. I live in one of those cities with the stereotypical "Starbucks on every corner"... although there are smaller Mom n' Pop cafes around too. One of them makes an incredibly good chai latte - not actually coffee but still awesome.  It is possible to make lattes at home with some extra effort though.
Ah, well, to be fair, it's not that I CAN'T order a latte in my hometown; it's more a combination of several factors:
(A) I'm hopelessly addicted to instant coffee's convenience, in spite of its low quality,
(B) so I won't bother buying coffee anywhere that I could just whip up one at home and take with me,
(C) and this coffee place (Ecclesia, in Wichita, KS, USA) is just THAT incredible to my taste buds. It's fortunate I only pass by it once in a while, or else I'd be broke.