Author Topic: Spell Idea: Wyld Ward  (Read 971 times)

Chariot Rider

• View Profile
Spell Idea: Wyld Ward
« on: February 07, 2017, 02:54:25 PM »
I love board games and I am fascinated by the way game mechanics work so I naturally start thinking about additions to the game.  Here is a card which I thunk addresses some of the issues people currently have with the game.

Wyld Ward
Spell
Wyld
Magic: 2/3?  Not sure yet
Cast on a hero
Until the end of your next turn whenever you would take a rot take a damage instead.

I am hoping that this card would do a few things.  Obviously this card would be one of only a few that can help you avoid taking rot from things like banes or other things like that but that is the most surface level use.  The main other thing this card allows you to do is being able to clear your hand.  Often times I get my hand filled with cards that cost rot to cast so they end up as a dead card because I want my character to remain pure.  This card would allow me to empty my hand of cards that cost rot to play.  This would also make cards like bane blade, hot rot wine, and poison gift more appealing to more players even if only slightly.  Of course this card can also  be used to mess up another player but it would be a bit harder to force them to take rot.  Now this card is not without flaws.  I think it might be a bit situational at times but it can still be burned or even cast because of its lowish cost.

What do you think about this card?  Am I missing something important?  How could it be better?  Is there any chance of this being in the game?  Anyway thank you for checking this out.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:22:21 PM by Chariot Rider »
Some people think chivalry is dead but I think it just has a really bad cold

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Spell Idea: Wyld Ward
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »
3 Magic is not a "low" cost spell, some heroes never get 3 spirit.  What would happen from the rot gained by Bane Deaths?  Would this shut down a corrupted person trying to gain rot from Bane Murder and quests?

Shimmer shield, or self casted Wake the Trees already are great ways to get bad cards out of your hand.  Heck any harmless peril can let you burn things.  I think the niche is too tight to justify a new card.

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »
I like it, rot cards always take up space in my inventory.  I( try to burn them when I get the chance but that kind of chance doesn't always come up for me...
"The strength of the Wolf is the Pack and the strength of the Pack is the Wolf"

Chariot Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:36:54 PM »
3 Magic is not a "low" cost spell, some heroes never get 3 spirit.  What would happen from the rot gained by Bane Deaths?  Would this shut down a corrupted person trying to gain rot from Bane Murder and quests?

Shimmer shield, or self casted Wake the Trees already are great ways to get bad cards out of your hand.  Heck any harmless peril can let you burn things.  I think the niche is too tight to justify a new card.

I was wondering what would happen if a bane kills you.  I think the player would spawn with one less hp than normal or they would deal a damage to their already dead character so they re spawn with no rot and full health.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:45:00 AM by Chariot Rider »

LunarFrost

• Armello Tester
  • I'm just here, you're welcome to say hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »
No, if it was "Play to self" then it would be fine, but otherwise people will use this card to punish Rot players for just trying to stay with the King's rot count then to actually negate the rot gained from cards to themselves.
I'm the guy that genuinely looks forward to change and when nothing changes, I worry.

I also like reasonable debates.

Chariot Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:22:05 AM »
No, if it was "Play to self" then it would be fine, but otherwise people will use this card to punish Rot players for just trying to stay with the King's rot count then to actually negate the rot gained from cards to themselves.
You can play this to yourself, that was the main reason I designed this card.  The reason I made it play to heros is because it opens up more tactical options for play.  You can play hot rot wine on someone else, or you can play it on yourself therefore making it a better card.  Cards like call of the worm can be played on yourself or an opponent and be good for you, and bad for others.  There are also much more punishing cards for rot players.  For some players rite of wyld could deal much more damage, granted it can only be played to a stone circle but before they get corrupted they will probably be popping in there to heal a few points of health.   Also accepting rot opens up a whole spectrum of cards that players age are trying to remain rot free cannot use. 

This being said I think that if you die to a bane you would lose the effects of this card, therefore you still gain rot.  Rot players can play around it making its effect not as brutal.

SheaFresh

• Armello Tester
  • Lag egg
    • View Profile
    • Hitbox Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 05:53:24 AM »
I think the problem is trying to stay pure, give in to the rot, become corrupted!MUAHAHHAHAHA

*cough*  I mean ... essentially, you're giving people the chance to use rot cards without becoming infected. Even though this is one (maybe two) cards in the deck, I would use it more as a burn than it's intended use. Sure someone else may be able to slow down a corrupted player's rot for a turn, or equip Bane Blade (I don't know why you would, it's a trap) free of cost, along with other cards: poison gift a guard/player, CotW to player, Plague Bearers, etc.

So really, I see this card giving players more reason to stay pure, but they miss out on half the game limiting themselves to not going rot. Being Corrupted is a challenge, it's harder, and to some (like Lunar and myself) it's more fun, and expands your play style. :)

~Shea
go to hitbox.tv/sheafresh for my streams

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 06:49:38 AM »
I prefer to remain in a pure state so I'd use this card in it's intended effect.  I think this card suits the game a lot better than any cards I've suggested thus far.
"The strength of the Wolf is the Pack and the strength of the Pack is the Wolf"

Chariot Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »
I think the problem is trying to stay pure, give in to the rot, become corrupted!MUAHAHHAHAHA

*cough*  I mean ... essentially, you're giving people the chance to use rot cards without becoming infected. Even though this is one (maybe two) cards in the deck, I would use it more as a burn than it's intended use. Sure someone else may be able to slow down a corrupted player's rot for a turn, or equip Bane Blade (I don't know why you would, it's a trap) free of cost, along with other cards: poison gift a guard/player, CotW to player, Plague Bearers, etc.

So really, I see this card giving players more reason to stay pure, but they miss out on half the game limiting themselves to not going rot. Being Corrupted is a challenge, it's harder, and to some (like Lunar and myself) it's more fun, and expands your play style. :)

~Shea

I can see your argument that this limits a players experience of the game.  Maybe, but this is my response.  In my opinion you are actually expanding players play style.  Using this card pure players can now venture into the realm of being able to use some of the rot cards that would have been locked away from them.  This card might encourage players to use the rot cards, without having to commit to a full rot victory.  While I do like rot victories and they can be incredibly interesting, I don't always go for it.  And instead what I often get is a hand of dead rot cards.  I could use them but I would rather not.  This card lets me dump those cards and free up my hand, therefore allowing my to get through more cards in the deck.