Author Topic: Introducing Twiss, Little Lightpaw of the Bandit Clan  (Read 16044 times)

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing Twiss, Little Lightpaw of the Bandit Clan
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »
Dev's have repeatedly said they want character powers to be passively processed and not require additional UI to activate.  Unfortunately, this makes a "Steal" command limited to something like "When you kill a player also take 1 gold/1 card from their hand", or "When you enter a battle and Deal AND receive no damage, steal an equipped item".

Hobbes

• View Profile
    • My Steam Profile, add me if you wish to talk!
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »
Hmmm. That does make things tricksy.

*considers*

*snaps fingers!* AHA!

Twiss : Has stealth in forests and cities. If Twiss ambushes another hero and survives, Twiss steals one gold from that hero. If Twiss ambushes another hero and kills that hero, Twiss steals one card at random from that hero and replaces it with an acorn card in their hand.

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 04:03:43 AM »
I was thinking about it...how to make it cool and yet not OP since it includes card swap. First, let's define "Acorn":

Card type: Item
Name: Acorn
Symbol: Wyld
Instant, Use on Hero, Range 1
Cost: 0
Effect: +1 Health

It's actually a nice card...just potentially underwhelming if compared to most others.

Now the ability: Quick Swap: After the turn ended, the Xth obtained card, based on Twiss's current Health x2, will come to Twiss hand instead of the hero who obtained it. The hero will, instead, receive an Acorn card.

So, it's totally random...if Twiss has 1 Health then the 2nd card that enter the game after his turn will come to him. If he has 4 Health then the 8th card will. Why this? Because it would be at same time fun and an annoyance! Just imagine one getting a treasure from exploring a dungeon and actually matching the said number. Twiss get the treasure and the player the acorn! You have that full Wits player drawing all Trickery cards in hopes of a prestige boost one...when it finally comes it being swaped by an acorn because matched the number.

Only problem i see is that usually the most common victim would be the player that plays right after her...especially if it's a high Wits one, not being trully balanced among the 3 opponents.

Another one is:

Roll a die after turn ended (so everyone can see it) and the next card drawn by the opponent chosen by the die will come to Twiss and he'll receive an Acorn card instead. For this i'd pair symbols. Sword/Shield = P1, Sun/Moon = P2, Wyld/Rot = P3
No longer around...

Gut

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 02:53:51 AM »
[...]
If Twiss is going to be picking coins out ofour pockets, theres a few ways i could see her go about it:
1) She could simply have the ability to chose a hero to loose gold, and then gain that much gold herself.
2) It could be a passive ability, triggered when she fought someone, no matter if she won or lost.
3) Still passive, but triggered by something else. Forexample claiming someone elses settlement, or just moving into a square next to them might do it.
[...]

This. It looks to fit quite well to me, and seems quite balanced too. Nice one.
"One clan to rule them all, One clan to blind them,
One clan to kneel them all, and in its greatness bind them"

The Rooster Clan!
http://leagueofgeeks.com/forums/index.php?topic=846.msg7709#msg7709

Logrande

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2015, 09:44:28 AM »
Oh man... she's adorable!

I feel like she is going to have 3 body and an extra AP or something.

Love the talk about the acorn swiping :D

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »
Hahahah! Love the acorn swapping mechanic. My only concern is that it might be a bit complicated (2x her health -> card stolen), and it might further cripple characters with already low Wits values. Perhaps she could instead swipe a card once per round that is drawn outside of the Draw Phase and replaces THAT with the Acorn...?

My ideas for her ability are considerably less cool:
1) Switcheroo
Whenever Twiss enters the same space as an opponent (if she survives the combat) she steals one card from their hand. (or swaps it for an Acorn :D )
2) Greed
Whenever Twiss gains any amount of gold, she gains one additional gold.
3) And the Kitchen Sink
Whenever Twiss gains any amount of gold, she draws a random card from the top of the Item deck as well.

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »
2) Greed
Whenever Twiss gains any amount of gold, she gains one additional gold.
3) And the Kitchen Sink
Whenever Twiss gains any amount of gold, she draws a random card from the top of the Item deck as well.

Woah. Exploitable.

Blake Mizzi

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 10:48:01 AM »
Loving the stealing ideas and the acorn switch-a-roo ideas.

We do want to keep Hero powers passive or activated like Thane's through specific use of gameplay, ie. Twiss could Steal a gold from another player in Battle for each Sun Card she burns - Just as an example!

Loving the acorn card idea :)

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 12:20:08 PM »
Figured I'd revive the thread to discuss Twiss's place in balance to other characters:

Strengths:
1. For most opponents, Twiss is nigh immortal on defense.  5 starting wits and evade is hard to injure without piercing effects.  The fact it turns off in the palace is actually a blessing the Rat Clan's Ring should emulate.
2. She's capable of incredible magic use, with her stats magey-er than Sana, ability to use Amethyst Ring, and ability to avoid fight damage.
3.  Playing an item heavy Twiss with boosting fight/wit is also surprisingly effective.   It removes her inability to attack aggressively while keeping protection from counterattacks and still being decent at magic.
4. Stealing a good card from opponent, while rare, is helpful.

Weaknesses:
1. If not raising fight, then guards, Banes, and other players blockade you worse than Sana.  The right spells can help you get around this usually.
2. River's arrow and Thane's swords negate her defense, acting as a hard counter.
3. Can sometimes steal "bad" cards, or get nothing because opponent hand is empty.

Overall:
I've won a lot of games playing as Twiss, but usually I had to rely on Spirit Stones or Prestige to do so.  Kingslaying tends to take either lucky Feral/Mirror image draws or the aforementioned Fight/Wits build. 

The wolf clan destroys her unless she can use spells to keep them out of her melee range- other characters are somewhat powerless to stop her.  I think the  best way to balance this out a bit more is to have weapon cards become more attractive to equip- easier access to the piercing effect.  To make up for this slightly less invincible state, some benefit to stealing when attacker had no cards should be given.