Author Topic: v1.6 Journey's Dawn Feature Reveal - Multiplayer Stability Improvements  (Read 4203 times)

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
This post is a feature reveal for v1.6 Journey's Dawn, click here to return to the update hub.

Hey folks!

This is the second feature announcement for Armello's next update, v1.6 Journey's Dawn. This update is landing on the 1st of February PST! The Hero Skin System is a tough act to follow but this is definitely important for a bunch of you! This announcement will be relatively short, but definitely sweet.

We've been hard at work since launch, iterating and improving on our multiplayer stability, and we've hit a milestone that is worth celebrating. We've made leaps with the general stability of our Multiplayer systems, specifically when it comes to AI takeovers and untimely player disconnections.

Consider this an extra layer of fortification to ensure your multiplayer experience is as smooth as possible, protecting your valuable chests, keys and ranked stars.  Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

<3 Darcy & the LoG Team
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:26:58 PM by Darcy Smith »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: v1.6 Journey's Dawn Feature Reveal - Multiplayer Stability Improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 02:06:54 AM »
Mind being a little more specific here?  How can you measure success at preventing disconnects of outside your studio conditions?  Has the latest batch of bug reports on disconenct NMA been traced to fixable bugs, or has the disconnection protocol changed in some radically good way?

Mcksalg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 05:51:15 AM »
Word, have you guys found the reason for all these DC and crashes? Hoping that this update is a total success, we are rooting for you guys on the PS4 front.

Darcy Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
Hey Kletian! Basically, amidst a slew of smaller improvements the largest change that was made was a logic overhaul regarding how AI would take over from player characters if they disconnected or left legitimately. This is where a bunch of NMAs would arise.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Kenku

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »
<3 this so much. Sooooo many times when I've had a game screwed due to that.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 01:29:15 PM »
So I had my first disconnection and NMA in a while.  Things were different than usual, submitted my bug tool but also thought I'd discuss here.

Early on, the game took a long time to get from the ending loading screen (map just appeared zoomed out) to the King's first line.  Sign of connection trouble?  Maybe.

Zosha disconnects as she finishes her first turn, the game log says she disconnected and would be replaced, but Zosha didn't die immediately.  Game says it is Brun's turn.  For almost 60 seconds nothing happens.  Her turn ends and finally Brun starts moving but stops before last AP spent.  He gets declared disconnected but it almost another 30 seconds before he and Zosha finally die and the day advances.

Sargon and I play the game as normal, just as I get close to the end, Sargon's turn starts and I hear his teleporting sound a bunch (plays during card draws too I guess).  He never is shown drawing anything, the game declared him disconnected like the others, but yet 5 minutes later the game is still hanging and he's not replaced with AI.  I quit the game at that point which would have been an easy set of stars and coin if it had let me stay.

At no point did the Reconnection player bar appear in the corner.

Darcy Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 02:57:29 PM »
This is super bizarre Kletian, we'll take a look at this for sure. Thanks for the detailed report.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Nico28g

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 01:17:01 AM »
Hi,

We tried to play yesterday with a friend but it was impossible... so much lag.
See a video in the link here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhr27i5a2gil62i/Armello_Lag.mov?dl=0

We have Steam Account on Mac OS X 10.12.3 and we have a really good internet connexion (70Mo download - Switzerland ;))
The reconnection screen appear also sometimes.. We restart our computer, relaunch the game and steam, go down the settings, etc.. but nothing helped

It was the first time that happened. I don't know if somebody else encounter this kind of problems.

Config: Mac OSX 10.12.3, Mid 2010, 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 Go 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 Mo - Intel HD Graphics 288 Mo

Hope it will help you!

Update on 02.02: The problem also appear on Solo Mode... I can't play the game anymore...
I'am not alone with this problem. Check on Steam Forum: http://steamcommunity.com/app/290340/discussions/0/135507855752868512/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:08:34 AM by Nico28g »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 10:02:59 PM »
Is it odd to me in a patch with specific mention to greater stability on player disconnect, I see more game freezes on disconnects than before?

LSC GamerSnail

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »
I have to agree, I have the same thing. Way more disconnects than ever, despite them saying this patch introduce more multiplayer stability. I've had some new things happen to me now that didn't happen before this patch. Like the game freezing when I'm going to draw cards, or the a guard not moving and the thus, stopping the game from going on. The amount of disconnects I've had with players leaving and an AI taking over is numerous....over 20, at least. I'm getting a little sick of it and it makes me feel like starting a game is a risk, as it might be a waste of time. This patch is a joke, so far.

Darcy Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »
We're still investigating a few bits and pieces! Thank you for all of your reports!

Cheers,

<3 Darcy