Author Topic: v1.6 Journey's Dawn Feature Reveal - Hero Skin System  (Read 27624 times)

krysh

• View Profile
Re: v1.6 Journey's Dawn Feature Reveal - Hero Skin System
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »
Georgesquares but this is something you probably don't realize. Majority of players don't care how the games business works. And why should they? They play games to unwind and have fun, it's up to the companies to know how that business works. And when people see a game they love starting to release overpriced DLCs, they simply lose faith in that company.

They won't care how much work and detail went to creating new skins. They just see a new skin. It's that simple. I was praising Armello everywhere I could but now I simply cannot do that because from my (player) point of view, the game is full of bugs that are getting worse while new expensive DLCs are being released. And that's what annoys the players.

Hansel

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2017, 06:22:09 AM »
I think a Jackalope skin for Barnaby in the next wave could be really special. Antlers on a helmet is a very good look.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:29:03 AM by Hansel »

williamosborn

• Hi there, my name's Will, I like foxes :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 07:19:52 AM »
Awesome! I absolutely love Thane's hero skin! :) Well done devs!
William :)

Cinix

• I love Armello and I'm here to make my voice heard
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »
So here I am again.

Where are those NEW animations you said where in there?
Finally got to see someone using a skin in game and 'ehem. You 100% pallet swapped River and added a few TINY changes to the model. Nothing that required new actual animation on it. In addition the fighting 'animation' also just seems like some color changes and minor alterations as well.

While normally I would be fine with this but you're charging more then what Warframe charges for their alternate skins and items some of which often add in new physics items and affects as well.  You have over price your pallet swap skins LoG and if you did market test theses you did NOT do enough.

Lynx

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 10:03:45 AM »
So here I am again.

Where are those NEW animations you said where in there?
Finally got to see someone using a skin in game and 'ehem. You 100% pallet swapped River and added a few TINY changes to the model. Nothing that required new actual animation on it. In addition the fighting 'animation' also just seems like some color changes and minor alterations as well.

While normally I would be fine with this but you're charging more then what Warframe charges for their alternate skins and items some of which often add in new physics items and affects as well.  You have over price your pallet swap skins LoG and if you did market test theses you did NOT do enough.

Do you know if the Thane skin ever got addressed?

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »
Yes, they said they had no intention of correcting the mirrored effect since it means redrawing everything.

Cinix

• I love Armello and I'm here to make my voice heard
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2017, 11:42:36 AM »
Not dead yet in my attempts to try and talk sense into LoG!

LoG I have some very important things that you should've found in your market research when deciding on your price point for skins. It seems that you where looking at free to play games or others that use the free to play model (even if not) rather then looking at normal full priced games.

So having said that I'd like to share the following. Screen shots taken from the Play Station Store for the DLC content of a game that is fairly recent called Disgaea 5. This game has a host of dlc content and I've picked a screen shot for each type that also shows their prices. They have MULTIPLE dlcs of each type.

So lets get started.

This first DLC is a PACK!
Contains 3 characters and a quest that has 3 maps and limited cutscenes (scenes using in game sprites + dialog boxes or using multiple still images + dialog boxes).
Each character includes:
In Game Sprite
In Game Sprite Animations (Movement, Hit, Attacking, ect)
Character Art
Unique Skills (Each of which is fully animated, one of the ones for the character Zetta is especially long)
Unique Traits
Voice Acting
Alternate Character Color Schemes

Single Character DLC: This dlc only adds a single new character that can be used and nothing else.
In Game Sprite
In Game Sprite Animations (Movement, Hit, Attacking, ect)
Character Art
Unique Skills (Each of which is fully animated)
Unique Traits
Voice Acting
Alternate Character Color Schemes

And we come to the last one:

This one adds in one 'character' that is just a small alteration to an existing unit type in the game. Uses the same animations, color palette and all as normal Prinny model however this character contains nearly every spell in the game so it can teach it to other characters and contains a few unique traits.
It's free of charge.

That's how you do character packs and skins. Note that Disgaea flat out doesn't do skins. They just give you a new character. While I will say their larger pack that has 3 characters + Maps + Story + Quest is cheap as they only charge an extra 2 dollars compared to a single character, their market practices have garnered a lot of positive customer feed back and MORE people buying their product and then sinking more money in through DLCs.

As a side note. DLC content that is higher tends to add more or be in smaller quantity as in the game is only going to be releasing 2 maybe 3 FULL DLCs (Whether that's new armies for strategy games, new quest for story games, new maps for FPS ect). 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:49:38 AM by Cinix »