Author Topic: v1.6 Journey's Dawn Feature Reveal - Hero Skin System  (Read 27589 times)

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
v1.6 Journey's Dawn Feature Reveal - Hero Skin System
« on: January 25, 2017, 05:53:30 PM »
This post is a feature reveal for v1.6 Journey's Dawn, click here to return to the update hub.

Hey folks! I'm extremely pumped about the announcement of v1.6 Journey's Dawn and I hope you are too. To announce the first major feature, LoG co-founder and director, Trent Kusters has written up all of the juicy details.

This is something that we're really excited to announce. Hero Skins were spoken about internally in excited tones from the earliest days of Armello's inception, but with the costs and overheads required to develop such a system and the skins themselves, it always fell into the 'nice-to-have' category. Thanks to the ongoing popularity of Armello and the opportunities granted by Steam's Item Store and Inventory functionality we have now created a system providing more ways for you to express yourselves and of course, roleplay with your favourite Heroes.

To coincide with v1.6 Journey's Dawn we'll be releasing four (4) Hero Skins for purchase at $6.99 USD each. They will be Steam Inventory Items and are by far  our most premium in-game items released to date. Each skin has been lovingly crafted in secret for months, with upgraded 3D models, new weapons, and all new textures, as well as brand new Hero Portraits, Chat Icons, 2D combat animations, annnnnnd a lil' dash of lore for good measure.

If you're still not sure whether you want to dive in and get that Hero Skin, don't sweat! We got you. These Hero Skins will be fully 'Tradeable' and 'Marketable' on the Steam Community Marketplace, so you're free to trade with pals (or strangers!) and on-sell them on the Marketplace.

Hero Skins will launch on February 1st (PT) and can be purchased directly from Armello's store on Steam(accessed from the Armello Store page on Steam). Hero Skins will not drop in-game.

Keep your eyes and ears to the ground as we'll be revealing each of the four Hero Skins (and which Heroes they'll be for!) along the path to the launch of Journey's Dawn. Obviously this is just the first of many reveals for this latest update for Armello, so stay tuned for what else is to come.

So there we have it! I'd love to see what you think about this glorious, long awaited feature!

Cheers,

<3 Darcy & the LoG Team
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:35:34 PM by Lisy Kane »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: v1.6 Journey's Dawn Feature Reveal - Hero Skin System
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:20:13 AM »
Technically off topic, but will 1.6 be the Bandit release as well?  If so, will the Black company skins be released at the same time?

Pietoro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:49:24 AM »
Welp, hero skins taps into one of my own serious weaknesses, so I look forward to seeing who gets them!
Fingers crossed for Barnaby! :D

krysh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 08:17:02 PM »
Happy to see this, but sad to see absolutely no mention of consoles. Are the skins going to be released on PS4? It would be great if you mentioned all platforms you release the game on. This is one of the reason console players are losing trust I'm afraid.

arnygood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 03:30:15 AM »
Can't wait!

Cinix

• I love Armello and I'm here to make my voice heard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
Hey, while this looks cool I'm going to be that guy who speaks up about it. 6.99 each? That seems a lot for a single skin and really off. I personally did feel a bit underwhelmed at the last 'dlc' content (seasons) however at that time I was ok throwing the extra money to help fund things. 6.99 per skin however seems just silly in price. I'd recommend charge a little more and bundle them together (Honestly I think 6.99 or 9.99 is still a bit much for just skins. ) or if you guys are dead set on selling them individually then lower that price PLEASE.

Do not fall into the pit falls of AAA gaming where they start to nickle and dime every player to see how much money they can get out of them. I don't think you guys are going down that road (yet), but I'd rather voice up now then later on after the point of no return. I remember a time when a 9.99 dlc would get you a LOT of content and the average dlc that was in the 9.99 to 19.99 range of price meant you where getting a lot of new stuff and that small packs where it's just new skins, maybe a few new items or small tweaks where 4.99 at the most.

I know it sounds like I'm over reacting, this is a small thing now. However like I said I want to make sure such voices are heard early on before the major issues come up.

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 03:42:28 PM »
Happy to see this, but sad to see absolutely no mention of consoles. Are the skins going to be released on PS4? It would be great if you mentioned all platforms you release the game on. This is one of the reason console players are losing trust I'm afraid.

Hey krysh! As our normal release pipeline goes, we're releasing v1.6 first on Steam and will work on any bug fixes before submitting it to console including Hero Skins!

Hey, while this looks cool I'm going to be that guy who speaks up about it. 6.99 each? That seems a lot for a single skin and really off.

Hey Cinix! Thanks for sending through your feedback about the pricing.  There was a lot of research and thought put into the final pricing of the Hero Skins and it won't be changing. Our hero skins aren't necessarily for everyone but we have put  a lot of craftsmanship (and coder..ship?) behind them in order to bring them to the world of Armello. You may see them as "a single skin" but there's a tonne of work done behind the scenes for these beauties.

We also love working on Armello and would love to keep bringing everyone more content so the DLC is a way of us being able to keep on doing so! This DLC may not be for you, but let's see what else we can come up with :)

As always we'll keep bringing out free content as well for those that can't justify the extra costs which, we totally understand (indie dev life!)

SBF1

• A Mystery Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »
To be fair, I'm also not entirely keen on the price (it does seem a bit steep for just a skin), but at the same time, I imagine it's not a terrifically huge amount if you're the type to just buy skins for your "mains". I basically just play Thane and Magna (and the others just kinda sporadically), so I'd only end up buying Thane's skin and all that, etc. Still, for people who are more of the collect-em-all type, I can see it being an issue.

Still, aside from that, I'm happy to see what else you've got cooking!

krysh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »

Hey krysh! As our normal release pipeline goes, we're releasing v1.6 first on Steam and will work on any bug fixes before submitting it to console including Hero Skins!

Thanks for the answer. Just a feedback - I bet majority of console players are not aware of the process and only read the main news so it may be worth including your response in the main post so people wondering about consoles release would at least get some time estimate rather than nothing.

Also. It's $6.99 per ONE skin??? Seriously? I thought it's for all 4. If that craftsmanship and coder...ship brings some extra gameplay features then yes, it would be reasonable but if it is just a fancy looking skin, regardless of how much work has been put into it, this is seriously overpriced for one skin. Wow. As Cinix said - please don't fall into that AAA DLC thievery :(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:53:51 PM by krysh »

Flitz

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 12:58:50 AM »
While I do consider the skins to be a bit on the pricy side, that's just the state of the market when it comes to hero skins. I've never seen cheaper ones in games that offer skins for sale, in fact, only more expensive ones. I'd assume that making skins for Armello wasn't any less work than for a game like HotS or LoL, so why would LoG deserve to receive less in return? Keep in mind that this is a business, not a charity.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 01:56:56 AM »
Fact is, it costs "salary * hours" to make said skins.  Once they've made them, they've got to make it back with "price * quantity".  They know how many people bought their map skins.  They know how many bought Usurpers.  They know how many people buy shop only dice and keys.  They also know the theoretical maximum amount of purchases being close to the number of still active players.  I'm going to guess the higher than expected price is from expecting a lower sales volume.

Lynx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 04:48:34 AM »
While I do consider the skins to be a bit on the pricy side, that's just the state of the market when it comes to hero skins. I've never seen cheaper ones in games that offer skins for sale, in fact, only more expensive ones. I'd assume that making skins for Armello wasn't any less work than for a game like HotS or LoL, so why would LoG deserve to receive less in return? Keep in mind that this is a business, not a charity.
Because it's a slippery slope for pay-to-play games when a cosmetic set costs you more than the base game. On the Kickstarter they also say they intend to offer future cards and quests via in-app purchases as well.

Cinix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 07:30:19 AM »
Because it's a slippery slope for pay-to-play games when a cosmetic set costs you more than the base game. On the Kickstarter they also say they intend to offer future cards and quests via in-app purchases as well.

This is the point I was making. Also for LoL they do actually pump out the skins for cheap, they sometimes just pallet swap and add a few bloom affects. HotS and LoG just followed LoL's example and that's why their prices are high.

I'm not saying it didn't take work for Armello however you should NOT compare your prices to free to play games or games that have already gotten attention for bad player manipulation. Games like that don't make their money off the average player, they make their money off the whales. Players who become addicted to the game. That's how most FtP games make a lot of their money in that market.

I understand that work goes in when you actually add new animations in and all does take time. But I stand by my statement that 6.99 for a single skin isn't ok. When all four skins together cost more then your game that's a problem and it sends a BAD message for new players.

Not saying paying for skins is bad but the industry has gotten fast and loose with it abusing it and their players. While the Armello skins from what we've been told are MORE then the average skin it still is a skin and it should NOT be more then 5 dollars each. If you went 9.99 for the entire pack, I'd still think it's a bit much BUT I think it wouldn't be as bad as spending more then 20.00 to get all four skins. FOUR SKINS! That's not ok.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:35:23 AM by Cinix »

Lynx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 07:52:50 AM »
Exactly!

I've also heard the argument of "If you don't want them, just ignore it!" Thing is we will have to see other players using them when we can't because we don't want to spend money.

Cinix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 08:05:59 AM »
I should also say I want to buy these skins. I WANT to throw more money to support the game even if I wont use most of the skins.
I want to be able to justify the expense though and right now I can't. I can afford it, but i can't justify giving in more to this bad business practice that has ruined several other games for me.