Author Topic: v1.6 Journey's Dawn Feature Reveal - Hero Skin System  (Read 26330 times)

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: v1.6 Journey's Dawn Feature Reveal - Hero Skin System
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
Where do you get that from?  This game can't support player specific cards.  Also the kickstarter is almost 3 years old- even if you were reading it correctly, the game has changed.

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 02:13:51 PM »
The best way I can explain it, is you've demonstrated a clear increase of "price per effort" in the eyes of the community.  This is not an inherently wrong thing to do, but this kind of reaction should be expected.

Oh yeah, I mean I'm not shocked by the reaction at all, I'm just probing for more information on the topic. I was looking for clarification on why people felt a certain way.

The concept of "price per effort" is one that many studios are moving away from and it's somewhat true for us too. If we followed that ideal, Armello as a base game would likely cost a lot more. I mean, the way we could most accurately implement a "price per effort" system is probably through paid subscription, which we'd never do, of course.

I'm extremely happy and proud of how we've managed the pricing in Armello. The pricepoint is very reasonable for this day and age, and devoted players can wheel and deal dice skins to earn credit if they so choose. This credit can potentially pay for DLC or retrospectively cover the game if you're motivated and/or mega lucky.

Hope you're all as excited as I am!

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Lynx

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 03:36:34 PM »
Where do you get that from?  This game can't support player specific cards.  Also the kickstarter is almost 3 years old- even if you were reading it correctly, the game has changed.

From the FAQ section
Will Armello have IAPs (in-app purchases)...?

Yes! We’re building Armello to support future expansions and add-ons so we can keep bringing you new Heroes and new stories. If we can deliver new Quests, Card Packs, etc, we’ll make those available as in-app purchases too.

Mcksalg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 04:14:11 PM »
Lol cant have cards as dlc then this turns the game into pay to win, and would kill the game. Cosmetic dlc is fine but when you split your player base thats bad, lol.

Darcy Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 05:03:50 PM »
Yeah cards won't be in the format of DLC. That info is no longer relevant!

Nasshnarah

• Backer
  • Wizard of Limes
    • View Profile
    • Gallery
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 05:28:55 AM »
A small question - will we get a proper showcase of the skins once the patch is out?
A video or set of animated gifs, presenting all the changes: the portrait, model, 3d and 2d animations?
...what could possibly go wrong?

Darcy Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »
Yeah! You'll be able to check them out in all their glory in detail once they are released. Hold tight for that!

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 12:35:26 AM »
I got lazy and didn't read over the original post so I have to ask.  Are skins only available to vanilla characters or will there be skins for Bandit Clan and Usurpers as well as any possible DLC characters that might come down the road?
"The strength of the Wolf is the Pack and the strength of the Pack is the Wolf"

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2017, 12:59:03 AM »
This batch is for Vanilla.  The Bandits were promised backer only skins a long time ago.  I imagine the economic success of the vanilla pack will determine if other heroes get skins.

melkathi

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2017, 08:57:06 AM »
Comparing the hero skins to the price of the Usurper DLC, the skins seem a tad overpriced to me. It also makes me worry what possible future heroes will cost.

SBF1

• A Mystery Dungeoneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2017, 11:10:03 AM »
Okay, so! Here's a couple brief thoughts I'll toss out, now that I played a multiplayer game with some folks using the new skins:

Visually, the models look great. There's a lot more detail packed into them compared to any of the other characters so far, which almost makes them feel more distinct by comparison. I also got a chuckle out of Thane's sword's runes glowing at night (along with his pauldron), if mostly because I threw the into that fanfic I wrote and it feels funny that I predicted it somehow. :U

As for their battle sprites, they're pretty good, but unfortunately seem to have a weird case of the blurries. Maybe I'm just going insane (but I'm pretty sure I'm not), but they seemed to both be a touch smaller and a bit more blurry than their default vectors, and it stands out the most whenever they're up in a battle against other characters, whose vectors are crisper. Not sure if it's a bug or just something that had to be done to get the skins to work, but it's weird all the same.

DarkeSword

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 03:22:38 AM »
A small question - will we get a proper showcase of the skins once the patch is out?
A video or set of animated gifs, presenting all the changes: the portrait, model, 3d and 2d animations?
I'd also like to see some proper promo material for the skins. I don't mind the price but I'd prefer to see what I'm buying first.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 04:34:08 AM »
SurefireTactics,  aka Mister UPS man has a youtube video to show them off. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoImzq-qEXI

krysh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 12:52:18 AM »
I have to say, the skins do look quite nice but after watching the showcase in the above video, they really aren't so special to charge $7 for each. I know that there has been an extra care being put into creating those but I'm talking from the customer/player point of view: These skins are absolutely not worth the price and I'm still really surprised that LoG decided to take this "drastic" DLC route in further development.

Started with new characters, which is absolutely fine because they add something new to the gameplay and expand the game itself. Then we got board skins. Really nice addition but don't change the gameplay. Now we have skins which from player's point of view are very nice but don't add anything to the game and are sold for a third the price of the game itself per ONE character.

With this approach of selling new content, while the game being in the state it is (constant crashes that get worse with every release) you can't be surprised people are starting to be annoyed and lose faith in Armello. I know this may sound silly but just check the above videos likes/dislikes ratio and the few comments it has.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:54:18 AM by krysh »

Georgesquares

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 03:59:30 AM »
So I just want to say-- compared to other games, 7 dollars per skin is remarkably cheap considering how much labor goes into making skins. As a backer, I got map skins and the 4 new champions for free, which is remarkably generous. I wanted skins for characters, as optional cosmetics that do not affect the game play, and I'm more than happy to support that with my wallet.

I really want a playable weasel character but I understand it's optional to the core game play and if it's not going to make money then it's probably not going to happen. It's something that's nice but not necessary just like these skins. Considering how much constant content they put into the game and how much freebies they throw at backers, I think the backlash is more or less just coming from people who don't get how a games business works. There was early demand for skins, and now skins are going to be a thing, and I think that's developers listening to community feedback.

I think that's nice.