Author Topic: Why playing Shimmer Shield on other players?  (Read 1046 times)

Agalan

• View Profile
Why playing Shimmer Shield on other players?
« on: December 29, 2016, 12:01:45 PM »
Yeah, why? Can be EVENTUALLY  useful against the king, to stop the player to kill him, but during all the game? It's simply the best defensive card. I play always Shimmer Shield on myself. The player is invincible with it. And it's always pretty fun, to see some enemies playing this card against me before attacking. I block all their attack by burning these shield cards and if I haven't enough dice to strike, I just wait my turn.

Shimmer Shiled can transform Rot cards too.

I don't know what do you think, but for me, it's a very bad strategy to play Shimmer Shield on an  opponent. This card is better on ourselves.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:04:47 PM by Agalan »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Why playing Shimmer Shield on other players?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »
I've had a hand with Wyld symbols, or a hand for unlocking the Palace, yet a burning desire to get rid of Shimmer shield.  In those cases, casting on another player can be harmless.  You can try to target someone who has an empty hand.

Shimmer shielding Thane can turn off his power.  NEVER shimmer shield Magna though :)

Agalan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 11:27:35 PM »
I understand, but  I have 487 hours on this game, and your situation with wyld symbols is not common. Because most of wyld cards are useful (potion, etc) , and it's not always a good strategy to use them in battle.

Usually, I let others player unlocking the Palace, weaken the king, before finish them to take their place with Teleport and Hot Rot Wine. As River says "Challenge me, just don't expect a fair fight".  8)

In only few situations, using Shimmer Shield on other people is useful. But in all my games, it's quasi-systematic, 95% of players use Shimmer Shield on others  :P

And agree, using the card on Magna is pretty scary  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:03:23 AM by Agalan »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:52:35 PM »
Another positive scenario.  You are going to the palace and all you need is to make sure no one kills you/pushes out out of the palace.  In that case, giving you opponent all shields to burn would help prevent them from actually dealing damage.

One last reason you see it, same reason people cast Mirror Image on their opponent- they don't realize it's usually beneficial.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 09:32:51 AM »
In the case of Brun, you may want to cast Shimmer Shield on someone far off to make use of his Hero Talent for +1 Fight. Of course, having a handful of symbols he wants to burn, it would be best to cast on another player rather than be unable to kill your target. The spell is cheap, so he may even be able to cast something else to improve his Fight even further.

Shimmer Shield can have negative consequences too. There have been times when I've cast it on myself expecting a fight that never came. I'm then stuck with a handful of Shield cards that I can't use for Perils.

vardgo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »
I remember playing a game with a friend, if you cast Shimmer shield on someone gunning for the palace you can stop a rusher.  Kinda hard to burn your way through a palace peril when you have a handful of shields