Author Topic: v1.5 Art of Treason, now live!  (Read 3952 times)

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
v1.5 Art of Treason, now live!
« on: November 18, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »

Today is the big day!

v1.5 Art of Treason is out, live and playable right now and we’re excited. This is also the big day that the Seasons Board Skins Pack becomes available for purchase, so please check that out. If that wasn't enough, Armello is on sale starting right now at 30% off which is the deepest discount we've ever done. It's the perfect time to spread the good word and get your pals on board.

Seriously, this is an enormous update. I’m going to lay out some of the features for you in case you missed our rolling feature reveals throughout the week. This update has a huuuuge list of rad additions so you can check out the patch notes here, if that’s your thing. SO let’s get started!

Check the full New Cards feature announcement here.

Five new cards have landed in the world of Armello. This set of cards will feature one new Follower and four new Trickery cards. Muster all of your cunning, venture forth and master these cards.

Check the full UX Improvements feature announcement here.

Between the dawn summary panel, upgraded pact communications, updated end-game screen, a new multiplayer lobby, inventory updates and more - there are a HUGE amount of tweaks that landed in v1.5.

Get in there and experience the glory!

Check the full Scaling Bounty feature announcement here.

Each dawn while a Hero has a Bounty on their head their Level of Bounty will increase. This represents the that the target of interest is still at large and the King’s patience is wearing thin, additionally we’ve changed the way the rewards are issued with each Bounty level and they multiply with each increase in level like this;

Level 1 – ‘Wanted’ reward is 1 Prestige and 2 Gold
Level 2 – ‘Fugitive’ reward is 2 Prestige and 4 Gold
Level 3 – ‘Traitor’ reward is 3 Prestige and 6 Gold

Check the full Multiplayer Progression feature announcement here.

This is a big one. Whether joining the public queue or playing private games with your pals, there's something here for you. After participating in online multiplayer games (whether public or private), players can ascend in level, unlocking new portraits, frames, and increasing the skill level of players you're matched with online.

Last but not least, the King has found his voice. Throughout the game, the King will now audibly banter with and taunt heroes. He may or may not laugh at you if you fail his perils.

And there we have it! Please let us know what you think over on Twitter and Facebook. Thanks for being such a rad community. See you in the Multiplayer queue!

<3 Darcy and the LoG Team
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:31:05 PM by Darcy Smith »

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
Re: v1.5 Art of Treason, now live!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »
Call me ignorant, but I thought the Art of Treason was an expansion pack.  Me and my roommate have checked the Xbox Live store for the it and found nothing.  Is it actually a title update?  Has it not been released on Xbox Live yet?  I don't understand.  Can someone please explain?
"The strength of the Wolf is the Pack and the strength of the Pack is the Wolf"

Darcy Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 01:01:02 PM »
Hey there!

Art of Treason is the next big update to Armello but it's not paid DLC - it's totally free. This update is live on Steam and will come to console in time. When it lands on Xbox/PS4, we'll be sure to post about it!

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »
Ah, ok thanks for clearing that up.  I didn't know.

Kevieran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
Sorry for question, but in 1.5 changes mechanic of "counter" from Magna. This attack ignores "shields" earlier, but now counters easy blocks with enemy shields, and it ruins all tactics for Magna. This "counter" now is useless, if it can be blocked.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 01:48:01 AM »
If you are suggesting that "Reflection Damage" used to be unblockable, and that something changed this patch, you are mistaken.  Reflection damage was always blockable.

Kevieran

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
Sorry, but not always. Now Magna is only one hero, who have useless ability. Counter -attack always was unblockable - it's an attack in same time, when opponent attacked you, and if opponent in unbalanced stance can block your counter-attack ... it's stupid. Other heroes have usefull abilities, but Magna now fully useless - 1 card with 3 shields and her ability have only 5-10% chance to deal damage.

Darcy Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 04:48:17 PM »
Hey Kevieran,

Kletian is right, nothing has changed in the latest update in regards to Magna, her hero power or how reflect works in general. She's still as badass as ever.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »
*shrugs* If you ask me the hero that needs the most nerfing is Barnaby.  That little rabbit must hate me or something, I get screwed even when I play as him.  If he's involved in a match I'm gonna' get screwed.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 08:01:56 AM »
Sorry, but not always. Now Magna is only one hero, who have useless ability. Counter -attack always was unblockable - it's an attack in same time, when opponent attacked you, and if opponent in unbalanced stance can block your counter-attack ... it's stupid. Other heroes have usefull abilities, but Magna now fully useless - 1 card with 3 shields and her ability have only 5-10% chance to deal damage.

Any other hero:
I have 3 shield cards in hand and 6 battle dice.  If I burn them all, I'll block 3+ but only have 3 left to hit with- if my opponent has 2 shields I probably won't hurt them.
or
I have 3 sword cards in hand and 6 dice.  If I burn them all, I'll hit 3+ but likely have no shields.
Magna
I burn them all, I'll block 3+ and do a minimum of 3 hits before my unburned dice roll.  Someone with only 2 shields is definitely going to get hurt.

As I read your post a little more, are you perhaps complaining about the "Missing dice priority" where if Magna has 3 STATIC shields it's possible her burned shields won't get hit and she won't reflect?  Unfortunately, that was true the moment Magna released.  Before Magna, Piercing/Reflection would have had priority and resolved before common dice.   Going back to dice priority is something the community is strongly lobbying the developers for, and it is disappointing to see we were ignored for the 1.5 patch.

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 05:53:46 PM »
  Going back to dice priority is something the community is strongly lobbying the developers for, and it is disappointing to see we were ignored for the 1.5 patch.

Same with poison. Giving "special" dice priority back will make the game so much better....this is definitive something the community pleads for, we have discussed this in extension earlier. Hoping the Devs take care of it.
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

Darcy Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 04:17:14 PM »
Going back to dice priority is something the community is strongly lobbying the developers for, and it is disappointing to see we were ignored for the 1.5 patch.

This is a fairly loaded and problematic comment Kletian. First of all, I need to emphasise that "lobbying" isn't something that we're going to react to. You can put forth an opinion supported with reason and we may or may not agree with what's said, but it doesn't matter whether 1 or 100 people say the same thing. It comes down to what's healthy for the game, currently and for the future. We definitely didn't ignore you, we just disagree with you.

The combat system isn't changing back and it sucks to hear that you're not happy with that decision.

<3 Darcy

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 04:27:41 PM »
Well, my luck sucks to begin with so I try very hard to avoid combat in this game whenever I can.  Still, Maybe it's because I haven't known the game for long but I'm unfamiliar with the term "dice priority".  I'm, not sure this affects me or the way I play the game, but I've just come to love and accept the game for it's quirks and flaws.  Like any other game I've become invested in.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »

This is a fairly loaded and problematic comment Kletian. First of all, I need to emphasise that "lobbying" isn't something that we're going to react to. You can put forth an opinion supported with reason and we may or may not agree with what's said, but it doesn't matter whether 1 or 100 people say the same thing. It comes down to what's healthy for the game, currently and for the future. We definitely didn't ignore you, we just disagree with you.

The combat system isn't changing back and it sucks to hear that you're not happy with that decision.

<3 Darcy

That's the thing Darcy, if you decided and disagreed, like "lasting, we don't want to revisit this decision" disagreed, this is the first I've heard of it.   We heard your reasons for the change when priority was first removed from the game, but they Don't seem to bear out in our experience.   Mr UPS presented his reasons why the change was bad (https://youtu.be/yCTUB0xzK7c), and if you disagree with those reasons, we'd love to hear WHY.  So below is excerpts from Blake and my assertions that they don't meet his explanations:

It’s very very exciting for us to bring these new special dice effects to Armello’s battle system, it gives us more design room to create interesting new equipment and gives players new tools to counter heroes with huge amounts of body, or thick shields.

To facilitate the introduction of more special dice and to give us even more room to create new equipment we have made a very subtle but significant change to how special dice behave;

Remember that special dice now counter each other and a special dice’s position in the attack and defence queue can make a big difference. Also consider you now have full control over the order of your dice queue through equipment selection, you have the ability to design the best battle builds to counter other players’ builds.

Certainly there are now better and worse combinations of equipment with regards to different heroes than there were before and this is a good thing. Equipment choice is now more meaningful. Your combination of equipment and your decisions made in combat, when to burn or not to burn cards has more impact than before.

We know it will take a few games to adjust your thinking to the new system and we’re excited to hear your ideas for the best builds for each hero and counter builds. We’re also excited to bring more powerful special dice effects to Armello, we know these effects are game changers and aren’t going to be easy to pull off, now it’s up to your planning and skill to make these play

1. The lack of priority is a uniform nerf to the special dice processing.  If these special effects were designed to counter high HP/Armor heroes, then they fail woefully, and the nerf of priority makes them less likely to be worn and even Less effective in their stated purpose.

2. "New equipment " meaning "1 piece gives a special dice static, another on burn, and a third on a random roll".   That's neither interesting nor new.  That's padding (and could still be done with priority active).   Things activated by card burns so far (Longbow, Pistols, Poison knife) are ALL too hard to use and I never see them worn other than to empty hands, nor has their special dice activated in a relevant way- the game would be better without this class of effect as it has functioned so far.  The Iron pike does a well enough job with a roll based effect (but it causes LESS card burns, which contradicts the desire for card burns Blake mentions). 

3.  You CAN'T design your equipment to counter builds.  Equipment processes in order of equipment (position on your inventory doesn't matter).  Some heroes can't afford to equip more than 3-5 pieces all game, and treasures are unique, so you have no freedom to arrange the special dice.  With the high variance of dice positioning, it's nigh impossible to engineer two special dice to counteract each other, where counteracting would happen reliably if priority was in place.   Ironically, for both attacker and defender, it's mathematically preferable to have special dice counteract outside of very rare corner cases (I demonstrated this in the thread Mister UPS posted his video in on Steam), the short answer being getting 1 more hurt is worse than not hurting your enemy for 1 more damage.

4. We have't seen a shakeup of what gear is best, it  just made formerly "good situationally great" gear (gear with special dice not first) into worse gear.  There's no special dice effect that's so game changing that they must have such a high chance of failure.  We've had lots of games and the community opinion stands this wasn't a good idea.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:46:52 PM by Kletian999 »

Melphina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 03:42:21 AM »
I get the impression that LoG's intention was to weaken the special dice when they removed priority. If for example under the original priority Thane had two auto swords and burned two swords, if he was fighting a player with 2 shields when combat resolved he would score 4 hits worth of damage, but now after the priority change he would only score two hits worth of damage. That's clearly a nerf to piercing dice, and the reflecting dice share the same flaw. LoG knew what they were doing when they made this change.

With that said, I do believe the special dice need some kind of a buff. The poison mechanic is pathetically weak. I can't remember the last time snake venom actually landed on someone (I've seen the poison proc maybe 10% of the time if I'm lucky). Almost every singe time either the attacker kills the defender outright, or the poison rolls hit a shield and do nothing. The poison dagger is pathetic after the change because you have to burn a rot card and still land a rot roll on the target. That means intentionally throwing a miss for most characters and hoping to still get a natural rot roll past armor. You could argue it's useful for a rot character, but my counter argument is for another thread in itself. That being that rot victory is near dead in 1.5 because all the new cards LoG has released have diluted the card pool too much. There just aren't enough rot cards in the pool anymore compared to non rot cards to get your rot higher than the king and keep it there. In fact they nerfed the number of rot cards at one point by cutting down plague cards in the spell deck, and usually the king pulls the rest at night via the mad king rule.

Reflecting is a nice mechanic, but it won't do any damage if the attacker doesn't roll enough swords to hit the reflected die, and because players often try to stack shields as heavily as they can, in practice it's also limited in utility. The chain mail is definitely weaker now than it's original iteration, and Magna's hero power is far more difficult to use than Thane's for this very reason. It's better to stack static shields because only 1 in 6 natural dice will ever be a shield (barring very special circumstances like royal shield), but 3 in 6 will be a hit, and one of the hits comes with a free bonus die.

Special dice definitely feel very weak in the current implementation... far more than they should. They deserve a buff through some form of means. I'm not saying priority needs to be reinstated, but something should be changed to give them more presence on the battlefield.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:50:00 AM by Melphina »