Author Topic: v1.5 Art of Treason - Feature Spotlight: Multiplayer Progression  (Read 14909 times)

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
v1.5 Art of Treason - Feature Spotlight: Multiplayer Progression
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
This is a feature preview for the upcoming patch, v1.5 Art of Treason. The update overview can be found here.

Hey all!

Here we are again, with the fourth feature reveal for v1.5 Art of Treason. I repeat, fourth. To clarify, the recently announced Seasons Board Skins Pack is actually not part of the feature reveals.

Today we are talking about the new Multiplayer Progression system coming in v1.5. To give you all of the juicy details, I've got LoG co-founder, director Trent Kusters to write up a little piece...

Heya folks!

You may not have realised, but since launch we've been running little experiments under Armello's hood. Ways that we can create engaging, more effective ways of rewarding players for playing Armello with either their friends, or strangers. Before launch we thought that was going to be through a Ranked mode we had planned, but after roadtesting it and listening  to community feedback it was apparent that a competitive ranked mode wasn't right for Armello.

Today, I'm super proud to finally be able to announce our new multiplayer progression system. Whether joining the public queue or playing private games with your pals, there's something here for you.

So how does it all work?

After participating in online multiplayer games (whether public or private), players can ascend in level, unlocking new portraits, frames, and increasing the skill level of players you're matched with online.

Levelling

There are currently sixty (60) levels available in Armello's multiplayer. Levels vary in the number of Stars required for completion. When a player has earned enough Stars, they will proceed to the next level.

There are ten initial levels, each with custom portraits and titles. Beyond that, every tenth level will grant a new portrait frame.

Note: Should you not wish to engage with the multiplayer progression system the option to toggle the visualisations on or off can be found in the Video & Audio Options.

Stars

They're hard earned, but players will generally receive Stars for winning. Don't fret though, there are multiple ways to earn Stars.

Victory - Grants one (1) Star.

Defeating Human Opponents - Grants one (1) Star for every non-AI player you defeat.

Win Streak Bonus - Grants one (1) Star if you have won two (2) or more multiplayer games in a row.

Lone Wolf Bonus - Grants one (1) Star for games completed where you joined the Public Multiplayer Queue and were matched with a pre-made party of three (3) opponents.

Underdog Bonus - Grants one (1) Star if there was an opponent in your game of five (5) or more ranks higher than you.

Note: You must complete games to receive any Stars you are eligible for.

Commendations

Similar to what you may see in a MOBA or new Blizzard games, at the end of a Public Multiplayer game (any game commenced by joining the Public Multiplayer Queue), players are given the opportunity to commend other players for promoting the spirit of Armello, a game well played, or for just being a good egg.

If a player receives two (2) commendations they will be awarded one (1) bonus Star.

If a player receives three (3) commendations, they will be awarded a total of two (2) bonus Stars.

Note: You cannot commend yourself.

Matchmaking Improvements

For players on Steam, the matchmaking system will now aim to match players of similar levels. Naturally, if the game has trouble matching you with players of a similar level it will expand the level bracket it's searching within,  casting the net wider and wider until you have a full lobby.

For parties of players jumping into the queue together, the game will search for players closest to the party's level average. Again, the more time spent searching, the wider the net is cast.

We've also generally improved matchmaking speeds, so you should notice lobbies filling faster. Naturally this is something we'll be continuing to improve for as long as we're supporting Armello.

Pre/Post-Match UX Improvements

One of the best perks of this huge feature is all the fantastic UI and UX work Ty and Shelley have done. We're talking about an all new lobby, post-game unlock screens, new Victory screens themed to your victory type and much more. Not to mention all new custom audio from our pals at Kpow Audio.

We're super keen to see you all jump in and start shooting through levels! 

Rolling This Feature Out

As you can imagine, this is a huge feature that has far reaching implications into Armello's core architecture. Although it's actually been secretly live and working under the hood for a little while, we'll be keeping a close eye on how it's public launch goes. It would be safe to expect some tweaks here and there over the next couple of updates. Depending on the feature's success, we may even see seasonal resets similar to those in Hearthstone.

As usual, we're keen to host these little experiments in collaboration with all of you, so please don't hesitate to deliver us any and all feedback you may have.

This feature is for Steam only at this point, but will be coming to console along with other cool things asap.  <3

Have fun, Armellians!

And there you have it folks! I bet there will be some questions so please feel free to fire away. If you're excited about this feature, please spread the good word on Facebook and Twitter!

Cheers,

<3 Darcy and the LoG Team.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:50:36 PM by Darcy Smith »

SurefireTactics

• Dungeon Diver
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: v1.5 Art of Treason - Feature Spotlight: Multiplayer Progression
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 07:14:52 AM »
Ooohhhh, this looks real nice. Will we be able to customize our icons/backgrounds for a player card or something like that if I prefer a lower rank's design as opposed to a higher one's?
It's all fun and games until someone plays Immolation

Aleonymous

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 08:05:56 AM »
Thanks for the update! I was really curious to see when "Ranked" would be a thing in Armello. Seems like an interesting (and alternative) progression system, this whole Stars thing. Now, it remains to be tested in practice :)

Minasojo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 08:13:16 AM »
Is it to early to ask how Multiplayer will be handled in regards to people who will own the Seasons DLC vs people who don't own it? (Can they still play together? Will it work similarly or different to how either the Bandit or Usurpers content currently works? Sorts of things like that.)

Thanks for answering the question during the livestream. :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:44:35 PM by Minasojo »

Wessolf27

• Armellian Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 12:47:17 PM »
Hurrah! There are season boards now! Thanks for listening to that suggestion. :D

Ceekur

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 12:11:47 AM »
Similar to what you may see in a MOBA or new Blizzard games, at the end of a Public Multiplayer game (any game commenced by joining the Public Multiplayer Queue), players are given the opportunity to commend other players for promoting the spirit of Armello, a game well played, or for just being a good egg.

Similar to MOBAs, commending your friends won't count, correct? You are able to honor a friend after a League match for example, but it won't count towards the consideration of a Teamwork sigil. This sounds like an abuseable feature (even if friends can't honor each other) that will need to be watched, even if it's just for cosmetics.

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 05:22:59 AM »
Just had a game when 2 of the 4 players rage-quitted after their first quest failed...feels bad to be punished twice because you not only go to play on with two A.I. instead of living flesh but not getting a recommendation after playing from opponents. Getting bonus stars for people leaving a game would be very broken since this would be very abusable...but is there a penalty for rage-quitting a game?

Other than that I am quite happy with the way the multiplayer progression has been implemented. Good work!
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

PunchFox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
I really liked all the other announced changes so far, but this one seems really odd to me.

You said that you decided a ranked/competitive ladder isn't right for Armello, which I can respect. I can definitely see where that came from, and personally, I play Armello to relax and chill out in a low pressure environment, not climb ranking ladders so that works for me.

However, why would you then implement this level-based matchmaking system? This has a couple of issues. Firstly, you already said you don't want to implement a competitive matchmaking environment, so why would you implement one at all (and one which is inferior to a ranking ladder)? Now every match will be "competitive" since people will have a strong motivation to win and earn more stars.  So the competition is there, but without the benefit of actual skill-based MM. So you have the "downsides" to a competitive system, and the reasons you allegedly avoided making a ranking ladder, but without any of the actual benefits.

Further, this is an absolutely terrible way of matchmaking. If someone has played 1000 games and has 500 stars, they will be considered to be at the same "skill" rating as someone who has played 500 games and has 500 stars. Yet I think we can all see that in practice, this is probably not the case. So it's like you are deliberately matching people up in the most ineffective way possible.

Essentially, you chose a system which has all the unwelcome parts of a ranking ladder, but none of the benefits, making it an oddly counter-productive choice. Either use a normal ranking ladder like every other competitive game worth it's salt, or simply don't include a rank/level/star/bean/whatever ranking system at all. Trying to do something in between is just harmful and weird.

Again, I felt like the previous changes you guys mentioned were all great, and I hope to see more! I think this MM system is a waste of your time,and better spent on other, more important and more beneficial features.

Thanks for the great game, and for taking my opinion into consideration!

EDIT: As a clarification, I don't have a problem with the leveling system in general. I think a system of leveling up and being upgraded to have cool new aesthetics and whatever else you guys come up with in the future is a neat idea, and adds a bit of fun to the game and a motivation to keep playing. HOWEVER, I don't think it should be attached to the MM system at all.

Either keep the MM system how it is (completely random) or do it right and make an ACTUAL skill-based matching system. Don't do some weird in-between system.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:44:31 AM by PunchFox »

Ishi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »
Please give a single star simply for completing the game. Winning should be rewarded, but throwing ~4 hours into a game with no progress whatsoever isn't a particularly positive. I won the two games I played, easily outranking my friend who has been continuously playing since the patch dropped, but has only won once. Not a good feeling, making multiplayer frustrating for those poor toads at Rank 1.

christianbk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 03:58:54 PM »
I also would ask to give one star for completing a game.

Played several multiplayer games tonight. They're ~45 mins each, I typically play a pacifist role, and due to that I received exactly zero stars for about 2.5 hours of play tonight.

I understand you mention that stars are "hard earned" but throw us a bone here!

christianbk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »
Well, went on a warpath this last game. 75 min game, took out all three of my opponents during the game, lost of course, didn't get any votes at the end.

Still ended up with zero stars.

According to the update, I guess I incorrectly understood that by taking out other human players I would get stars.

For the time being, I'm not playing ANY mp until something is fixed. To think there is 60 levels of this is insane.

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 04:53:59 AM »
There is definitely need for some improvement in the Multiplayer Progression System.

It's frustrating to be playing game after game not progressing a single step forward.
It's frustrating getting a single vote from another player in a game where another player left for playing "Armello style" and not progressing a single step forward (since the A.I. won't vote).

I think it would be fair to give people a bit of the feeling of moving forward while just playing the game (so 1 star for completing a game would be fair, like the others above said) and getting a vote from another player would lead to a star as well. If I understood properly there are chances to lose stars again in the upper ranks, so I don't think it would mess up the system if the "casuals" get to move up the ladder a bit until they need to fight for the stars.

I love guppy but not leaving the "Unlucky squire" rank due to limited time and ragequitting players feels bad.
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »
Punchfox makes some real good points here.  I wish the discussion on what to do about "ranked mode" had more public input.

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 06:40:59 PM »
Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback. We're watching closely and taking it all under consideration.

Cheers,

<3 Darcy

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 01:08:58 AM »
Some more feedback.

As you may remember when we ran the community tournament, we award bonus points based on criteria "we could see on the ending screen".  However, with this new system, the POTENTIAL for capturing bonus points based on midgame events is staggering and yet not used!

1. Score an Annihilation/Humiliation? Have a star!
2. Successfully lower a palace peril through quest or dice?  Have a star.
3. Be literally one turn away from killing/stoning the King yourself, such that an AI mockup of your final attack would have won?  You deserve a "so close" star.