Author Topic: Armello Development Update #01  (Read 9924 times)

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Armello Development Update #01
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:02:09 AM »
Well, here we are, everyone! It's the first proper development update and well, do we have quite a bit to tell (and show!) you.

Firstly though, I should tell you that our awesome, amazing and lovely backers (not to say that you're not all awesome, amazing and lovely, but it is a fact of official science law that our backers are just a little bit more amazing) will be getting a little bit more info than everyone else - Secret Stuff™ - via the backer-only forums! If you're a backer, you can check it out now.

So if you're not a backer yet, now's the time to become one. Head to our 'slacker backer' site and become an official Armello backer now to make sure you don't miss out on all the Secret Stuff™!

New Studio Space!
So this is crazy exciting; we've moved into a new, larger, cooler space within the co-working space that we work out of. League of Geeks calls a little place called The Arcade home. It's a co-working space filled with Melbourne developers, from single person indie teams through to teams of ten or more, as well as others like indie publishers Surprise Attack! and the Game Developers' Association of Australia (both good friends of LoG!). 

Gamescom
We're coming to Europe! In fact, we'll have a booth at Gamescom. Come and say hi! We'll have some small swag to give away and you'll be able to get HANDS ON with the latest Armello build on PC, Mac and iPad. There's even some super special new things in the build that we haven't spoken about yet.

New (Handsome) Face!
We've hired a 'new guy', although he's not really new to games. Tom Johnstone is a total guru and is one of LoG's newest additions. Tom has worked as a programmer in various roles on a few small games you guys may have heard of. Stuff like, GTA IV, Burnout: Revenge, Motorstorm, Red Dead Redemption, and more, including a decent stint on Rockstar's RAGE Technology Team. We're stoked to have him aboard and to see the magic he'll bring to Armello.

Card Art
There's a bunch of new cards on the go. Here's a little something to whet your appetite:

We gave you a sneak peek at Melissa King's 'Cleansing Wyld' Spell card in the last update. Well, it's come along quite a bit since then... check this out! 

For backers, come over to the backer only forum to see a whole new, animated card!

Hero AI
Justin has been really hammering the AI in the game. We've got a heap of new functionality in. Heroes intelligently play cards to the board and onto other heroes. They also plan out their movement and complete quests. It's great seeing this stuff blossom. Watching Mercurio waltz right past you in pursuit of a quest is something special.

King's Declarations
We've overhauled King's Declarations, the edicts that the King delivers each dawn after counsel with the prestige leader. Previously we had re-purposed some of the UI assets from the quest system to serve the King's Declaration, but Ty really pushed hard on keeping that physicality of board game elements to really get. So after a solid design scrum with the team we drew up a brief and Ty threw together the artwork. A first pass, of the King's Declarations featured in today's Twitch stream. :D

As mentioned in the stream, Trent will be creating a design journal in the forums to detail the development of King's Declarations so far. Expect that to go live within the next week. reports.

King Anims
Wes Adams, our character animator has been smashing out some amazing anims for the big boy himself. There's still some work to go, but they're coming along nicely. We've even got some of them in-game already.  Here are a couple of our favourites.

We also welcome on Chris Dardis, an industry veteran so awesome he animated the giant animatronic animals at the Sochi Winter Olympics! Kind of like Pacific Rim, we're imagining.

Backerkit
We're still setting up Backerkit for all the post Kickstarter surveys. Don't worry, we'll get there.

...and a Super Secret Thing
This piece of info happens to be for backers only. A super special something we're cooking up. Oh it's so juicy and so secret!

If you're a backer you can find all the deets here

If you're not a backer, but you want to be now, well you can still back Armello and get access to backer-only goodies at www.armello.com/pledge

Kinan Eldari

• Backer
  • "the Solar Force"
    • View Profile
Re: Armello Development Update #01
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:02:44 AM »
Looks awesome, guys! Including the sneak peek I got, this looks promising indeed. And maybe I'll see you at Gamescom indeed. I'm still working out some kinks in  the travel plan, but it's something I want to do.

BloodyTrollop

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:39:14 AM »
Love the art for the spell card. The style works very well with your games already established feel

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:49:30 PM »
Wow.  That rot stuff really packs a punch, doesn't it?  Too bad he gets all that berserk strength by burning his life out.

Lienn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:04:22 AM »
Awesome! ^^ Can't wait to see the Mad King geting some movement animation (more due the reasons behind him receiving it than the animation itself)! ^^

...and talking about the mad king...i may have missed it but does he have a name yet? ^^:
No longer around...

TobiasAmaranth

• Backer
  • Fox-Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Werewolves of the Dark Arts - Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
1. It's good to see another fox. A big sword, so clearly different from the bandit vixen. I wonder how the card will be animated...

2. I believe something crucial is missing from those king animations: His tail. You've gone with a tailed world, so it's quickly noticeable that his tail is currently missing. Though perhaps I'm the one missing something, lore-wise.

3. On the same note, the fox's tail is not visible, which is not wrong given the angle, but I do think it might look nice being curled around as it's a bit of a foxlike thing to do.

4. Pencil illustrations attached to the quests? Awesome! I love sketches, so this is a big plus to my ears.

5. I'll have to check the video out another time. :)
Creator of Werewolves of the Dark Arts and a big supporter of Fablefire.

Kattanaita

• Backer
  • The King's pride.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
Hi, I'm a post kickstarter Bandit-tier backer. How do I get access to the backer only part of the forum?
There wasn't much information about that sent to me, so I'm a little lost.
Thank you.

jackalsalad

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
Love seeing the process!

I do have a bit of a critique though (one I'm sure you guys have discussed before); while golden armour does show the King is royal, it's colour is blending in a lot with his fur. For a while I just assumed he was a hardcore dude who did not give a damn and went shirtless, haha. Not only that, but the detail in the texture of his armour is getting lost because of it! Perhaps darkening up his fur or making his armour into a more silver, or more dark and gritty gold would help make them not blend in too much? I guess I am keeping this all in mind because we wont get to see him as up close and in detail in the finished game as we are in these gifs, and it would be a shame to not see that detail.

On that note, Melissa's art is a joy to see. Really inspiring!

Keep it going guys! Can't wait to see more!

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:25:46 PM »
Love seeing the process!

I do have a bit of a critique though (one I'm sure you guys have discussed before); while golden armour does show the King is royal, it's colour is blending in a lot with his fur. For a while I just assumed he was a hardcore dude who did not give a damn and went shirtless, haha. Not only that, but the detail in the texture of his armour is getting lost because of it! Perhaps darkening up his fur or making his armour into a more silver, or more dark and gritty gold would help make them not blend in too much? I guess I am keeping this all in mind because we wont get to see him as up close and in detail in the finished game as we are in these gifs, and it would be a shame to not see that detail.

On that note, Melissa's art is a joy to see. Really inspiring!

Keep it going guys! Can't wait to see more!

...... i legitimately just noticed that!!! i thought he was shirtless!

Tridens

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 07:50:22 AM »
I really enjoyed Development Update #01.  It's been a couple of months since it was released, and I was wondering if you're planning on continuing these updates as you originally envisioned, or if you've decided to provide updates in a different fashion?  Can't wait to get my hands on the beta, but an Update #2 would serve as a great appetizer!

Thanks!

Tridens

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 09:36:13 AM »
<Bump>

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »
<Bump>

Hey Tridens, I cant speak for LoG But I know they are focusing hard on getting a Beta release for the community! However, They all went to PAX so lets cross our fingers we get a dev update #2 after the release that covers everything!

Thanks for your patience!

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 11:05:27 AM »
Thanks 8Bit, agreed - we have been super busy with Backer Beta her at LoG, but have added this as something we need to do as soon as possible.

Any requests on what we should cover?  Things you would like to know?

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »
Thanks 8Bit, agreed - we have been super busy with Backer Beta her at LoG, but have added this as something we need to do as soon as possible.

Any requests on what we should cover?  Things you would like to know?

I can only speak for myself But I know im definitely waiting to hear how Armello was received and especially what your plans are for the future!
But I want pictures! And Capitals! And UNDERLINES!
Make it fancy haha thanks!

Tridens

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 07:00:25 AM »
Great suggestions, 8BitProxy.

As someone who is awaiting beta, I'd love to see an overview of how alpha went (what was smooth, what issues have been more troublesome than anticipated, etc), a pre-beta guide (what features are in the initial beta and what won't be, what you're hoping for from those of us who will be beta testing, etc.).  Also, maybe some of your favorite pieces of feedback from alpha users (some key suggestions or feedback that has shaped the game, etc.).  Just some ideas off the top of my head...

Thanks!