Author Topic: v1.5 Art of Treason - Feature Spotlight: Scaling Bounties  (Read 4118 times)

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
v1.5 Art of Treason - Feature Spotlight: Scaling Bounties
« on: November 14, 2016, 04:58:04 PM »
This is a feature preview for the upcoming patch, v1.5 Art of Treason. The update overview can be found here.

Hey folks!

Today we have a new feature to unveil that will be landing on November 18th as a part of v1.5 Art of Treason. As a special treat, I've got Blake Mizzi, LoG co-founder, director and design guru to write up an introduction.

Hi everyone, Blake here and I’m feeling pretty evil and righteous as we prepare to deliver you the upgraded King’s Bounty system in Armello  :) What we’ve done is added tiers or levels of Bounty;

Level 1 – ‘Wanted’
Level 2 – ‘Fugitive’
Level 3 – ‘Traitor’

Each dawn while a Hero has a Bounty on their head their Level of Bounty will increase. This represents the that the target of interest is still at large and the King’s patience is wearing thin, additionally we’ve changed the way the rewards are issued with each Bounty level and they multiply with each increase in level like this;

Level 1 – ‘Wanted’ reward is 1 Prestige and 2 Gold
Level 2 – ‘Fugitive’ reward is 2 Prestige and 4 Gold
Level 3 – ‘Traitor’ reward is 3 Prestige and 6 Gold

We’ve also changed the way King’s Guards will react to different levels of Bounty with the highest Level 3 – ‘Traitor’ seeing King’s Guards moving an extra Action Point to chase those high priority targets down. That’s nasty!

We did this to add more meaning and weight to receiving and issuing Bounties, these changes make the system more impactful and incentivise opponents to take advantage of the political situation. Make your opponent’s enemies of the crown and watch them get cut down by guards and heroes alike. Excellent  :)

So that brings us to 3/5 of the major features within v1.5 Art of Treason and trust me when I say the final two are big. I feel like we're just warming up. As always, be sure to spread the good Armello word on Facebook and Twitter. You'll be hearing from us very soon.

<3 Darcy and the LoG Team
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:31:10 PM by Darcy Smith »

Mysterio

• View Profile
Re: v1.5 Art of Treason - Feature Spotlight: Scaling Bounties
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 04:41:01 AM »
Sounds great!  I'm looking forward to seeing what the final two reveals are!

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 05:01:16 AM »
How have you considered the effect of this change on Sylas?  Sylas already has the problem of attracting snipes from every other player, now if he does manage to survive a round or two with his power his killer gets even bigger reward.

Also, does applying bounty on someone already wanted now increase the status faster, or is getting another bounty while currently bountied still harmless?

mrezeuss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:29:50 AM »
Please, please, please don't. At least not with the the Kings card where every player is a wanted person.
This would slow the game down dramatically if you have to navigate around the guards AND the other players AND have to navigate  on the outer ring of the board to make sure you keep clear of the palace guard.
This will affect the weak fighters more than say Magna.
I just finished a game where i couldn't make it to my second quest because all the players where rederecting the guards and passing out bounties as if they where free.

LunarFrost

• Armello Tester
  • I'm just here, you're welcome to say hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
Please, please, please don't. At least not with the the Kings card where every player is a wanted person.
This would slow the game down dramatically if you have to navigate around the guards AND the other players AND have to navigate  on the outer ring of the board to make sure you keep clear of the palace guard.
This will affect the weak fighters more than say Magna.
I just finished a game where i couldn't make it to my second quest because all the players where rederecting the guards and passing out bounties as if they where free.

Here's the thing...bounties before didn't have much of an impact, some say they are even more helpful because it attracts guards to attack you and allows you to burn cards before your turn. This won't effect guards in any way, but it will give other players more incentive to kill you.
I'm the guy that genuinely looks forward to change and when nothing changes, I worry.

I also like reasonable debates.

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 12:14:45 PM »
This won't effect guards in any way, but it will give other players more incentive to kill you.

Apparently the highest level of bounty will cause guards to aggro from one space further away. That's definitely significant, but you've got some time before the bounty reaches that point.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

Nasshnarah

• Backer
  • Wizard of Limes
    • View Profile
    • Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 12:13:36 AM »
How have you considered the effect of this change on Sylas?  Sylas already has the problem of attracting snipes from every other player, now if he does manage to survive a round or two with his power his killer gets even bigger reward.

I'm curious about this as well.

And now we're about to have bounty levels, maybe Horace's power could get looked at again as well, since a mere bounty disables it entirely? First thing that came to my mind, was that the Guards could treat him as if he had one level lower (outside of the Palace) but that's potentially really broken - so maybe at least let him use it until he's a Fugitive or Traitor...?
...what could possibly go wrong?

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 04:37:14 AM »
Also, does applying bounty on someone already wanted now increase the status faster, or is getting another bounty while currently bountied still harmless?

I'll second this question.  If, say, Mercurio kills a couple of guards for attacking him, is he still going to be at the 'wanted' state if that's where he was before defending himself?

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 02:56:57 AM »
Looks like only time escalates the bounty based on testing and the playdemo last night.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 03:19:13 AM »
Add to my concerns:
If you breach the palace at night (and don't have a +AP), you'll get a bounty, Dawn will RAISE that bounty immediately, Dawn infection damage,  you might get nuked by Bell Tolls declaration,  guards will attack you; then you get a chance at the King.

If your breach the palace in BROAD DAYLIGHT, you'll get a bounty, but it won't raise until next day.  The only declaration that would bother you is the one that makes guards stronger IF there was one on the tile you wanted to enter (whereas the night breaker has to fend off 1-3 boosted guard attacks).  The guards will only attack if the Night Moves Declaration occurs (and they might prioritize Banes), or maybe you'd get attacked by palace Banes if you are in Overtime mode and that declaration is chosen (not sure if they can move to other palace squares or just out).

This seems a tad unfair to Nocturnal clan members.