Author Topic: Starting Hand  (Read 1128 times)

runwiththehunted

• View Profile
Starting Hand
« on: September 23, 2016, 06:21:32 AM »
Just curious if like me anyone else has secretly been hoping that the ability to draw your starting hand would eventually change from a custom option to standard play similar to how the mad king rule was handled. While it would only be a small change this can actually be quite impactful on the first few turns especially with characters who start with little gold (most notably the bears) as they just can't afford to both play trickery cards and equip items early on. The random starting hand can be detrimental to one sided builds as well. A spirit amulet sana  would likely want more than one spell card to make use of her starting 6 magic while a fight amulet barnaby could potentially start with 2 spell cards despite having only his base 2 spirit to work with. As it is now the player either has to spend what little resources they do have simply to clear up their hand or they have to seek out battles and perils neither of which are guaranteed to be available on the way to their quest.  On a humorous not, I frequently find that the Royal Flush King Declaration is met with much approval in game for what I believe is this very reason.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:24:18 AM by runwiththehunted »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Hand
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 10:23:23 AM »
Totally on board with you.

Wessolf27

• Armellian Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:47:25 PM »
Agreed. Though, I'm not sure on what level between skill and chance Armello is supposed to be handled with. Like, the random starting hands, and unfortunate dungeon draws may or may not be purposefully left as they are for the sake of giving players a bit more challenge.

Still, one can also argue that there are already a lot of things within the game that already draw on entrusting yourself to luck, as with the dice rolls for battles and perils, as well as hoping you'd draw the right card from the deck. So... tbh, I'd be in support of the idea, but I'm kinda wondering if this is a line we should or shouldn't cross.
Re-probus: A Story of Ferals

Omegaupdate Forums | Eagle Time Forums

McNarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 05:28:14 AM »
Maybe an alternative would be to have a fixed starting hand by character based on their strong point and maybe the equipped artifacts ?

(No more 2 to 3 rot cards i my starting hand when I'm trying to get the spirit stones with Sana =_=)

Crazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »
Maybe an alternative would be to have a fixed starting hand by character based on their strong point and maybe the equipped artifacts ?

(No more 2 to 3 rot cards i my starting hand when I'm trying to get the spirit stones with Sana =_=)

That would be far more work, and could be just as flawed as our current situation. Example:

I pick Thane, the Wit amulet, and Mountain Ring as his equips.

With 4 cards in my starting hand, how does the game divide that up in that kind of system? Whenever I have an empty hand, I typically pick 3 items to fill my hand with potential gear upgrades and sword burns and a magic for some potential versatility as thane is not making any money for trickery cards unless hes gotten very lucky on dungeons or town control. This usually works very well for my aggressive playstyle. 

But how would the game see this? 5 fight, 5 body, 4 wit, and 3 magic. I picked the wit amulet so that means I want trickery cards right? What about if I picked resist, dig, rot, or any of the other non stat amulets? There are so many things to consider, and it would basically end up being gamed by players to get an optimal start hand. No one wants to see a stale meta where everyone's picking the same 3ish amulets to guarantee that their hand isn't complete trash.

Just allowing players to draw their hand would be fine, and is already in the game as an option for house rules. Meaning it would be much easier to implement into the live system.

Sniktch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 11:06:41 PM »
Every +1 in existence to this idea.  Seriously, it's already available - and it'd cross out the problem of Sargon being denied his ability at game start.

Echo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 05:54:49 AM »
Please make it happen... it's frustrating that the game deals me useless Trickery and Spell cards at the start and I got nowhere to burn my hands...

dani

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »
Totally agree with this, it does not seem to make any sense. Why can I draw my cards from my deck of choice on every turn, except for the first one? Apart from whether or not it makes sense, what's the reason for doing this at all? I do not see an upside to this approach over letting the player draw their own cards, where they can actually make meaningful decisions on which cards to draw based on their strengths and weaknesses. As is, it seems to be an unnecessary RNG element which can screw players over for no reason. In general I am strongly against replacing possible player decisions by a figurative dice roll for no reason.