Author Topic: The Great Armello Roadmap: Year Two  (Read 6322 times)

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The Great Armello Roadmap: Year Two
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:45:18 PM »
Hey folks!

It's been a little while since I wrote that big post about Armello's development roadmap leading up to full release. Over a year in fact! So I figured with the anniversary of Armello's release happening next week, what better a time to let you all know our plans moving forward.

The Past Year
Before I do that, however, I want to point out what an incredible year it's been. We've seen hundreds of thousands of players come to Armello across millions of quests for the throne.

The game expanded into something far greater and more expansive than what was on offer at launch, with four major updates, the introduction of House Rules, Chest & Keys, The Stranger, enhanced combat system, a stack of brand new cards, new chat strings, hundreds of gameplay tweaks and improvements.

With the release of Xbox One and our first major DLC, The Usurpers Hero Pack, coming out next week, we're kicking off another fantastic year of making rad stuff for all of you lovely people with the biggest bang we can possibly manage. 

Best of all, the community has continued to grow across all corners of the globe. Our broadcasting efforts especially have been a huge  success with close to 4,000 followers and a growing community of subscribers. Speaking to Twitch, we're one of the fastest growing developer-led channels in the world and show no signs of slowing down. 

Improved Production Processes
As great as the past year has been, we're not shy in saying that we bit off a lot with Armello. Like, a lot. This may come as a surprise, but the decision to continue supporting Armello with free major content updates was something we had never intended. We made that call just before launch. 

This first year post-release, moving to Xbox, releasing updates across eight platforms and multiple storefronts, whilst supporting hundreds of thousands of users, was a truly epic feat and were it not for the sheer brilliance, talent and determination of the crew we've got here at LoG, we wouldn't be here today.

But now, with all that wisdom and experience behind us, and a full year with the game out there to see who and how folks are interacting with Armello, we've been making moves toward more efficient and effective production processes that will result in more, better, and cleaner content from your pals at LoG.     

So, what have we got planned...

Armello DRM Free Edition
We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience as we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GoG on an edition of Armello specific to GoG. The Armello - DRM Free Edition should be up and running on GoG.com now.

We've had fantastic meetings with GoG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience picked across from other platforms into early-mid 2017, helping LoG & GoG (lol) reach our mutual goal of providing users the best possible DRM Free Armello experience.

64-Bit Focus
As mentioned by Lisy in this post, we're shuttering support for Windows 32 Bit. In short, the tech is over a decade old and the various middleware and tools that we use for Armello's development have begun winding up support for 32-Bit systems, meaning continuing support for a system that less than 0.1% of our users operate on is unfortunately not an option for us.

For more info or questions specifically regarding this move; head to Lisy's post on the Steam forums.   

Console Updates & Inventory
With the release of Xbox One this week, we'll now be moving into a more secure and stable release schedule for console updates. For a little backstory, updating on Steam is quite a simple and painless process that we can handle entirely autonomously. However, console is an entirely different story. To update builds on Xbox and PS4, well, let's just say it's neither simple, painless, or autonomous. Not only that, but the process is entirely different for Xbox One and PS4.

To ensure that our PlayStation and Xbox community are getting the very best Armello experience, as well as ensuring that we get to make games and not just push builds through console certification all day every day, both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will be receiving updates on a different schedule to Steam, likely inheriting new content after every second free update hits Steam.

Moving to these steadier, more focused intervals for updating console will allow us to ensure the team gets to spend more time on creating rad content, more time ensuring it's as stable as possible, and that we can create far more reliable schedules for when that content hits console.   

Armello on Tablets
Perhaps the most exciting thing about moving into Armello's second year post-release is the arrival of Armello on tablets. Both iPad and Android tablets will be receiving our tabletop adventure brought to life, with all the improvements and benefits of over a year of updates and content lovingly crafted and tweaked to suit these new platforms.

We're currently shooting for Q1 2017 for Armello's iPad release, with Android tablets following not long after. Armello was originally designed as a tablet experience so we're really excited to be able to get this in your hands. 

Steam Updates, Events & Inventory Experiments
Well, well, well. Looking at our magical wall of coming content I can say that we've got probably another full year of content, tweaks, DLC, inventory and experiments coming to Armello still.

We've been incredibly humbled by the response to Armello over the past year and are incredibly proud that we can still afford to continue updating this game, making it the best it possibly can be. We've got v1.5 and v1.6 already detailed out with some very exciting additions and improvements to this game we all love.

Chest & Dice collections have been a big hit and you'll see us continue to experiment with pricing and delivery of these mechanics until we find the sweet spot that works best for Armello and, hopefully, a continual roll out of this kind of content. We'll also be looking at new ways we can leverage Steam's Inventory system to bring you greater ways to customise your Armello experience - but more on that another time.

Events such as Double Flip Weekends are something that we're very interested in and from what our metrics tell us, you are too! So over the next year we'll be looking at new ways to change up Armello for short periods of time and bring us all together online.

Streaming & Shows
We absolutely adore getting on stream with you cats and so whether it's crazy shenanigans in Midweek Melee, us kicking your butts in Devs vs Community or getting even cooler, more interesting indie pals to hang out with us on LoG Plays, you can expect another year of terrific LoG content from our Twitch channel.

Not only that, but we'll be finding better ways to bring you content that you can interact with at any time over on our Youtube channel.

Oh, and you can probably expect some more of those animated trailers you all love. Maybe. I think.

Meet the Geeks!
We've travelled the globe handing out geek dice and hugging fans all throughout 2016 and 2017 is gonna be no different. You'll be able to catch us at a bunch of shows, so be sure to keep an ear to the ground of when we might swing near your home town.

The Long & Short Of It
We love Armello, and it's clear you do too, so as long as Armello has a community and is covering the costs of development, we'll continue to support it. Right now, that's most certainly the case and it doesn't seem to be slowing down, so we're still putting ideas up on that whiteboard and throwing in your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks for an incredible year. With the release of Armello's final platforms on the horizon, a more focused development and production schedule allowing us to better support each platform, and a full roster of major free updates, inventory, events, and paid DLC, year two is looking very exciting for Armello.

Thanks for the wild ride, now let's take this one out for another spin!

<3 Trent and the LoG Crew
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:52:15 AM by Trent Kusters »

CrazyBob05

• View Profile
Re: The Great Armello Roadmap: Year Two
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
@the Long and Short of it
I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but hearing that you're actually  listening to our suggestions means that there's a chance no matter how small that the Exiles and the Loyalists may actually become canon to Armello someday.  It would excite me to no end just knowing that I suggested Gale, Daemon, Fayla, and Elzra.  I know that's kinda' selfish of me but I would love to see them in the game and to see other people using them.
"The strength of the Wolf is the Pack and the strength of the Pack is the Wolf"