Author Topic: v1.4 Chat System Overhaul Details!  (Read 7380 times)

Bartimeus

• View Profile
Re: v1.4 Chat System Overhaul Details!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 11:02:34 PM »
And why not your Auto-emote idea between characters.

Guess: who is speaking? :

I)
-Hey!! Do you really want to use bow and arrow against an armor? Hooo, so sweet!!!
-Honey, I can see two beautifull ears outside this armor.
-Not the ears!!! It's not fair!!!

II)
-I can see you!!!

-Of course, you can see me, I am right in front off you.

III)
-peek-a-boo!!

-Haaaa!!!.......it's you!!  Never do that again!!!!

-I promise

-You said that the last time. And I thought you were sincere.

-You are right

-So?

-So, you thaught me to lie, and you thaught me well.

IV)
-Stop acting like a child.

-But i am a  child.

-That's not an excuse.

I)Barnaby and Rive
II)Barnaby and Zosha
III)Zosha and Mercurio
IV)Amber and Barnaby

The Binary Son

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 12:22:12 PM »
"The people call my name."

Salvatos

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 12:26:13 PM »
We did do a pass on some ambiguous lines, but we also left some as they are when the ambiguity of the line directly reflects and plays into the character of that Hero. The key example being Mercurio's 'Thanks'. "I will remember that." Is the perfect thank you for Mercurio and players who are aware of this line can use it in multiple different contexts - one of the main goals for each string.

The goal here is to give you all a toolbox with which to express yourself within the role of the Hero you're playing. Having some lines lean a little more into the character and edge on the ambiguous side is part of that.
I feel like you're lumping two things together here. You're absolutely right that Mercurio's line is flavorful and that its ambiguity can serve several purposes, but the fact that he doesn't say what the emote menu says creates confusion rather than add value. It does the opposite of helping us express ourselves by twisting our choice of words. I feel it would be better if the menu showed what your character will actually say when you press the button. See the bold part above? In my opinion there shouldn't have to be any guessing when choosing what we say to others.

Wessolf27

• Armellian Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 02:13:29 PM »

I feel like you're lumping two things together here. You're absolutely right that Mercurio's line is flavorful and that its ambiguity can serve several purposes, but the fact that he doesn't say what the emote menu says creates confusion rather than add value. It does the opposite of helping us express ourselves by twisting our choice of words. I feel it would be better if the menu showed what your character will actually say when you press the button. See the bold part above? In my opinion there shouldn't have to be any guessing when choosing what we say to others.

Actually, I agree. It'd be nice to have something like a small pop-up or hover to see what our characters have to say, like it could show up as being a faded out version that floats next to one's cursor.

There's been one too many times I've played Mercurio or Thane and said something I didn't mean to say ^_^;

Edit: I love how Threat > "your character" gives a unique emote :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:12:57 PM by Wessolf27 »
Re-probus: A Story of Ferals

Omegaupdate Forums | Eagle Time Forums

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 09:14:17 PM »
Automated shout-outs for the Proclaim phrases is a very interesting idea. Hmmm... let me think on that one. <3

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2016, 12:24:02 AM »
I love how Threat > "your character" gives a unique emote :D

I think all three of the player-targeted emotes now do that. I particularly like Zosha's "Truce > Zosha" emote: "I don't work well with partners. They tend to die. A lot." Also her new "Farewell" emote is a perfect taunt when you've just taken down an opponent.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

Wessolf27

• Armellian Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2016, 02:43:20 AM »

I think all three of the player-targeted emotes now do that. I particularly like Zosha's "Truce > Zosha" emote: "I don't work well with partners. They tend to die. A lot." Also her new "Farewell" emote is a perfect taunt when you've just taken down an opponent.

That. Is. Absolutely. Beautiful.

Man, I love the new emotes, but still standing by the idea of having a way to see what your character's gonna say before you say it, else you end up making some pretty embarrassing word choices... (Trying to apologize, and ending up taunting someone just feels embarrassing as Barnaby... though I really should've seen that considering I play him a lot...)
Re-probus: A Story of Ferals

Omegaupdate Forums | Eagle Time Forums

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »

That. Is. Absolutely. Beautiful.

Man, I love the new emotes, but still standing by the idea of having a way to see what your character's gonna say before you say it, else you end up making some pretty embarrassing word choices... (Trying to apologize, and ending up taunting someone just feels embarrassing as Barnaby... though I really should've seen that considering I play him a lot...)

I just found out what River's new "Mercy" ("Stay away") emote is:

"Keep back, or I'll put one in your knee!"

I see what you did there, LoG.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

robskylor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 01:29:58 PM »
Hello, fairly new to the game and loving it for the last couple months. I see where you're coming from  on the "numbers are King" idea, but I just want to offer a slightly different perspective. Number's mostly king, but with some considerations.

Specifically, "Watch for", "Go for", or "Look out for". Granted they were only used 4.0%, 5.4%, and 4.7% of the time compared to other phrases, but it's always not the quantity something is used, but the quality. For instance "Laugh" was used the most at 17.3%, I myself use it repeatedly in the course of a game, primarily because this game puts a huge smile on my face and little things in it make me giggle. I also use "Sorry" and "Hello" quite a bit too. But that's just banter, when I say "Watch for", "Go for", or "Look out for" I mean business. There are often games where I would only use a phrase once or twice, because once I've gotten across the threat to the players, there's no need to beat them over the head with it. But GETTING that threat across to the other players is incredibly important.

I'm generally not an overly wordy person but twice now someone won with crystals and I had no way to convey that threat to my fellow players. I'm okay with losing, but a lack of ability to communicate basic concepts is frustrating for this old lifelong board game player. Really all I'm suggesting is a way to convey a paticular kind of victory as a threat. I can then use the threaten chat command to convey who is the threat (Including myself if I'm feeling cocky :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this

krysh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2016, 01:29:36 AM »
I'm having so much fun with the new emotes. I played a game with my friends yesterday and Zosha was dangerously close to me so my River said: "We need not fight for now, Zosha." When her turn ended, I used the Oops emote which said: "I didn't mean that" followed by "Hah." followed by me completely and utterly destroying Zosha.

It's even more fun when you memorize what your character is going to say.

However I too miss the old Proclaim and Watch for emotes.

Across-The-Board

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2016, 06:18:35 AM »
However I too miss the old Proclaim and Watch for emotes.

As childish as it may be I had a lot of fun with Ambers Proclaim spirit stones emote.

*Beats up male character*
"Those stones are easy to find"

krysh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »
So I just played 2 games as Ghor last night and I couldn't believe his "Bad luck" emote. He says: "Bad luck, or you're just stupid".

First of all, it doesn't seem to match Ghor's personality since all the other emotes make him sound dumb and afraid (Oh.. Hullo, Teeheehee, Uh-Oh, Whooooaaaahhh and so on.)

Second, I sincerely felt sorry for my friend who failed and then insulted her by calling her stupid unknowingly.

I understand some of the heroes' emotes are sometimes daring, but nothing should be as insulting as this. I won't be using this emote from now on while playing Ghor. I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way and it will be addressed.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 01:44:53 AM »
I agree Ghor's emotes are one of his Many problems.