Author Topic: First Post-Kickstarter Twitch Stream Goes Live Tomorrow  (Read 4820 times)

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
First Post-Kickstarter Twitch Stream Goes Live Tomorrow
« on: June 26, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
Hey all! I'm gonna be streaming some Armellooooooo gameplay tomorrow morning at 10am AEST.

We're doing a lot of backend work on Armello at the moment, but we've also thrown a few forward facing things into the game. Naturally we want to show a bit of it off.

Be sure to subscribe to our twitch channel at www.twitch.tv/leagueofgeeks. That's where the stream will be taking place.

Launch times for different timezones are:
PDT: Thu 26th, 5:00pm
EDT: Thu 26th, 8:00pm
BST: Fri 27th, 1:00am
AEST: Fri 27th, 10:00am

Bring along your bubble tea! It's gonna be awesome. :)

Lazy Bugger

• Backer
  • I am just lazy... Also my feet are pretty darn dry
    • View Profile
Re: First Post-Kickstarter Twitch Stream Goes Live Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »
Daaw, I gotta skip this.

3 in the morning isn`t really good time to check out a stream. I will just check it out after I wake up.

Laughing Lick

• Backer
  • Ah bubble tea.. my sweet captor~
    • View Profile
    • My Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:41:23 PM »
I should be present~
Looking forward to it!
Bubble Tea is Fleeting, Armello is Forever

BigGunsNeverTire

• Backer
  • Gun Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:09:48 PM »
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:10:53 PM by BigGunsNeverTire »

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
Will you bring something that resembles an attention span this time? You would have easily lost those other games if it were not for that WIP AI.

*Laughs*...I kid, of course. Scheduling my dinner date earlier so I can catch this. Looking forward to it.

Laughing Lick

• Backer
  • Ah bubble tea.. my sweet captor~
    • View Profile
    • My Online Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »
It happened already though didn't it- there was only the one right? :0
Bubble Tea is Fleeting, Armello is Forever

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »
There were/are a few, some were taken down; the two long ones are here ---> http://www.twitch.tv/leagueofgeeks/profile/pastBroadcasts , and...it looks like one was posted a couple hours ago that I have not watched yet. Late here now--will probably do that first thing tomorrow morning (and see if my criticism was warranted!).

Trent Kusters

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »
BIG GUNS NEVER TIRE... oh my god.

Yes. NEVER forget. <3

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 12:17:50 AM »
I.... I... I missed it!! :O Damnit!! will you have another one?!

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 12:51:41 AM »
Oh wait that WAS it! Agh, your morning of the 27th was last evening for the US. Completely passed me by. Too distracted getting this apartment in working order. Will catch it next time.

Talk about poetic justice for my attention span crack, aye?

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 01:31:06 AM »
Gah, too bad I missed this. Oh well, I checked out the recording.

I'm liking the new tips, and we got a peek at a few new cards. Hope you guys have another one.

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 03:30:11 AM »
Well...at least you admitted you were not very good at the game! I assume Ty has won the most games?

With sincerity, though: Re the tutorial screens--I agree with your self-assessment that they are way too intrusive. I would definitely suggest having a separate single player tutorial mode. The best tutorials teach intuitively by players learning through their own actions, keeping the text to a minimum. This is a little difficult because of the inherent complexity of Armello, granted. Have you considered generating a completely orchestrated game (with a slick VO instead of text) that new players could watch that covers all the gameplay mechanics, followed by a played tutorial sequence with set goals? Text/VO could be useful there to give feedback on the player's decisions instead of bombarding them with massive amounts text or bouncing icons.

Everyone reads wikis if they need more technical information; as long as you keep the information flowing, Rat, myself and anyone else that wants to contribute will make sure that the Wikia page is current when Armello goes live!

That said, if implemented well, I think toggle-able tooltips would be useful in all gaming modes.

Trent Kusters

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
Hey Leftcross,

Everything you've said is spot on. Good tutorials are a huge undertaking and are typically the last thing done in game development (from my experience, anyway).

We'll make sure they're awesome. We're just slapping something tolerable in at the moment so people can actually play the game. Later on we'll come through and spend the proper time and focus on tutorials.

-Trent

AsfaeksBR

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 12:06:37 AM »
Seeing this stream re-lighted that flame that was inside of me when I first saw the Kickstarter page of it.
It was starting to fade away because I was kind of absent in here, but now I wanna stay forever.

And well, my lil cousin has the risk of not getting his "Guppy Plushy" that I was going to gift him. Maybe I'll keep it  ::)

Oh, and always: Love you, Trent

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 03:20:35 AM »
Hey Leftcross,

Everything you've said is spot on. Good tutorials are a huge undertaking and are typically the last thing done in game development (from my experience, anyway).

We'll make sure they're awesome. We're just slapping something tolerable in at the moment so people can actually play the game. Later on we'll come through and spend the proper time and focus on tutorials.

-Trent
I figured as much, as you did not sound like you were resting on your laurels in the stream. There are many design philosophies out there, though, so I did not think it would hurt to offer some direct feedback.

Walls of text generate aversive reactions in the analytical centers of my brain, which was why I was so forward (or maybe it is just attempting to live vicariously with the beautiful thing you are creating, either or!). You know as well as I do that logic (and not a fat rulebook) has everything to do with keeping the learning curve accommodating. Not that it will make much of a difference to us that have been following everything from the beginning. We will know exactly what we are doing when we start to play--as we have already seen it played times over. I am rather curious to see what you come up with, however. There are too many lazy tutorials out there, fewer still that stand out, and scant few that belong to strategy games.

Power to you and the rest of the team.